Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » George RR Martin's Fire and Ice (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: George RR Martin's Fire and Ice
lancesrealm lancesrealm has just turned 52
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
Still waiting for Dance with Dragons. Honestly, I think I might have actually been charitable in my earlier estimates.
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
And I am still waiting...*sigh*
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
I got around to buying The Hedge Knight TPB and I think it's fantastic. Wow. I read through it 3 times in a row to be sure I caught all the tiny details.
It's the kind of book to leave laying around on the coffee table for non-comic people to pick up and flip through, tightly written and beautifully painted it's an absolute must for any collector. This is one of the most beautiful comics I've seen in a long long time.

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amiable

I used to joke that I hoped that GRRM would finish the book before he dies. It isn't a joke anymore, but an actual wish. I find it a little disturbing that Robert Jordan has already been mentioned in this thread. Best of health to you, George! Ah, well, still waiting...
amiable

quote:
Originally posted by Lance's realm:
Wamu, I also didn't discover the series until after Storm of Swords was out. I still wish the next book would come out soon though. Ah well....I just hope it is done before he dies of old age.

And Scott, there is no way he is going to kick out the final 3 books over the next 4 years. I am guessing a book this year, and another book every 5 years. That means the final book will be out around 2017.

Oh, dear. Upon rereading this thread it seems that my pessimistic prognostication was actually quite an optimistic projection. It is a good thing I have many many many other things to read, since I am now having verrry serious doubts about GRRM finishing this series.

Ah, well, you can listen to me whine about this around the same time next year...

kenaustin
4/28/37 - I miss you, momma - 6/13/11

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenaustin   Author's Homepage   Email kenaustin         Edit/Delete Post     
Hopefully the Game of Thrones series on HBO next year will be good.

--------------------
kenaustin's korner - Legion Magic

From: Louisville, Ky | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amiable

The HBO series does look like a real winner. Sadly, I do not have HBO, but I'm sure I will find some way to watch it.

In other news, it has been over 5 years since GRRM's last book came out. It has been over 3 years since he has updated his "Ice and Fire update" on his webpage. (I think this is abuse of the word "update.")

Perhaps some day...

Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
I know what you mean. Quite frankly, I'm a little pissed off I ever invested any time into this series.
Sure what has been published is a great read, however, there is no sign the series will ever be finished.
At this point, I don't care when (or if) Dance with Dragons comes out. I'm not buying another Ice and Fire book till the series is finished.

From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amiable

I quite agree. I will likely get the next book (if it comes out) from the library. I think it is quite sad when reality is worse than my pessimistic guess. My suspicion is that Dance With Dragons will be the last book in this series that Martin ever finishes.
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm really anxious for the HBO series but, like everyone else, I've given up on the series ever finishing. I highly doubt DwD will ever see release in Martin's lifetime. Hell, I'm begging to doubt ever seeing it in MY lifetime.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
And we have a release date for DwD! This July 12.

George R.R. Martin’s A Dance With Dragons gets a release date: July 12

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amiable

Wow! Thanks Scott! I don't check the update all that often, and...I had better sit down. I think I might be in shock...

Breathe, Lance...

rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
I've heard of this series of books, but havent' read them. What are they about?

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amiable

Rick, they are the best fantasy series I have ever read. They are much too rich to go into detail, but here is the basic plot:

(mild spoilers)

There is a king over the land. The king dies. There is good reason to believe that the king's children were not actually sired by the king, and therefore are not the heirs to the throne. This means everybody starts jockeying for position. Deals are made and broken, there are assassinations, and betrayals, and a lot of castle politics. It is a wonderful series, what there is of it.

rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
The description sounds a lot like Zelazny's Amber series. Am I close?

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.