Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » George RR Martin's Fire and Ice (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: George RR Martin's Fire and Ice
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
I never read the Amber series, Rick, so I don't know.
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh, do yourself a favor and read it. Zelazny at the absolute top of his game. I've got the huge compendium book that has all ten books in it. My wife bought it for me when I couldn't find the second book in the series. Love it.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Lord of Light, Isle of the Dead and Creatures of Light & Darkness are also pretty awesome Zelazny tales.

I've probably read Lord of Light five times.

I've been meaning to read A Song of Fire & Ice, but I tend to get attached to certain viewpoint characters and follow them through the story, and, from what I've heard, even from his fans, Martin doesn't make that easy... [Smile]

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Hmmm, yeah, I tend to be a one person focal story reader. Never could get into things like tolstoy that had (to me) unpronouncable names and stories that shifted in amoungst five or ten different characters.

--------------------

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The Amber series was one of my favorites growing up. Along with Shanara and the Covenant books. I have to say, for me, they don't hold the same attraction at my current age. But the Fire and Ice books do. Which just means my tastes have changed as I've gotten older. But I still can't get thru any of the LoTR books, then or now.

On another note, Lance, have you been following the Maester's Path? Just finished The Night's Watch. Love seeing the clips you get access to when you complete a puzzle.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
Um, I dunno what the "Maester's Path" is. Fill me in, ok?

I will definitely check out at least the first Amber book.

Also, in at least some defense of GRRM, "Dance" is a pretty lengthy book. Let's pretend he wrote 1200 pages in 6 years. This means 200 pages a year, which at least makes me feel a little better about his efforts to finish.

From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Lance, Amber is the modern blueprint for familial potlitical intrigue. It doesn't get any better than this in all the fiction I've read. And thats a lot.

--------------------

Something pithy!

Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The Maester's Path is a site started by HBO. You follow a set of challenges, released weekly, in order to become a Maester. Each challenge gives you a sneak peek inside the show with exclusive clips (which are probably all over YouTube anyway). It's kind of cool.

You are supposed to collect five novices too. So if you, or anyone here, decides to try please become my novice and I will return the favor.

I choose to answer the call of The Citadel. I prepare for the Game of Thrones - and ask you to follow me now on the Maester's Path.

Join us, for Winter is Coming.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Ok, Rick, stop twisting my arm. I just got back from Columbus and the St. Patrick's Day stuff (my wife is an O'Reilly, so we gotta do the big family thing each year) and I ran right out to the library and I picked up the first 5 Amber books, in 2 volumes. They don't seem very big, so I should go through them quickly.

Scott, I am also gonna check out the Shannara books too.

I actually meant to read both series many years ago, but I never got to it.

I am also going to check out how much it costs to get HBO for just the duration of the series. Or is there another way to see it?

lancesrealm
amiable

Oh, and Scott, I agree about Lord of the Rings. The books plod along so slowly. I have never understood how they became as popular as they are.
rickshaw1
Leader

Lance, far be it from me to twist the arm of a guy named after a weapon. You know what the good thing about a lance is, don'cha?

All the danger happens at the other end.

--------------------

Something pithy!

lancesrealm
amiable

Well, if I don't like the Amber stories I am on my way to South Carolina to swipe your stinky cigars.

BTW, my library just had the first 5 books - but not the last 5. Do you recommend them all?

rickshaw1
Leader

yes, the first five are Corwin of Amber. The second five are Merle, Corwin's son.

It's all good, from my perspective.

--------------------

Something pithy!

lancesrealm
amiable

Scott, I have the same question about the Shannara books - how many of them should I read? Do they continue to be good, or do they peter out after awhile?
rickshaw1
Leader

Shannara, is that the Brooks stories? I have the Castle for Sale/Sold. Havent' read them in years, though.

--------------------

Something pithy!

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.