Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Amazing Covers (Page 7)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Amazing Covers
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Glad you like Gabriel's Young cover, Jerry.

The Gabriel covers album was originally supposed to have a sister album of other artists (including many of the ones whose songs Gabriel covered) doing covers of Gabriel songs. Unfortunately, the sister album has been delayed indefinitely, so it's ended up looking like an ordinary covers album.

I also suspect it all started out as something of a stopgap because, after almost 10 years, Gabriel still hasn't completed the official follow-up to "Up."

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:
What is the world is he doing releasing a cover album, though?

That's what a legion of Peter Gabriel fans have been asking for the past year, as well.

He hasn't released a full-fledged studio album in 8 years (with 10 years between that and his previous release), despite supposedly having written hundreds of songs in the meantime, and he suddenly comes out with a covers album. Which is, incidentally, going to be followed up by an album of re-arrangements of his own material in the same style.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Ah, the same answer in two different styles.

Which do YOU prefer, EDE or FLo?

--------------------

Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Lucky to have both !!

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

[Smile]

--------------------

jab
meow

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jab   Author's Homepage   Email jab         Edit/Delete Post     
two of my favorite covers of all times

johnny cash & joe strummer covering 'redemption song'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGVSTsgcCvw

moby covering the bad brains classic 'sailin' on'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CRhWliovcs

From: mini mall island | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fanfic Lass:
Ah, the same answer in two different styles.

I'm sure there's something deeply significant in the fact that you went for mentioning the follow-up with other artists' covering Gabriel's work, while I went for the mention of Gabriel's follow-up covering his own work.

Meat for the future cyber-archeologists, no doubt.

[ August 28, 2010, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: Eryk Davis Ester ]

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Siouxsie & the Banshees cover Bob Dylan & the Band??

Actually, it's more likely they knew the song from the hit psychedelic-pop version by Julie Driscoll & Brian Auger.

Either way, the S&tB version is my favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTOzu_hGs1Q

--------------------

Jerry
active

Fun one. I haven't listened to any Siouxsie in years. I forgot how wonderful she is.

Jab, thanks for posting your picks. Both are very nice. Cash and Strummer covering Marley... Can it get any more real than that? I was driving home from work with my carpool buddy the evening of the 9/11 attacks. The local dj played "Redemption Song" to mark the event. My buddy cried. It's a moment I'll always remember.

[ August 30, 2010, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

Actually, it's more likely they knew the song from the hit psychedelic-pop version by Julie Driscoll & Brian Auger.

I'm pretty sure I read an interview with her where she said that was the case. I believe she also said that they didn't know it was a Dylan song when they recorded it.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Wasn't this the theme song for "Aboslutely Fabulous"? Whose version was that?

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
Yes.

The version in AbFab was a new recording featuirng Driscoll and comic Adrian Edmondson.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

The Talking Heads cover Al Green. God, I miss these guys!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anjT71N4PGM&feature=related

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
quote:

I'm pretty sure I read an interview with her where she said that was the case. I believe she also said that they didn't know it was a Dylan song when they recorded it.
If that's the case, I'm not entirely surprised. Somehow I just can't imagine the teenage Susan Dallion listening to Dylan and/or the Band as she dreams of being a world-conquering pop star. That's not a slam against Dylan or the Band, it's just that Siouxsie's generation was much more into the unholy trinity of Iggy-Bowie-Reed.

--------------------

Jerry
active

Black Crowes cover Otis Redding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtLbE3IUY2U

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.