Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Arrow, new CW Green Arrow series (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Arrow, new CW Green Arrow series
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Impossible to say really what they were thinking in using a pre-existing DCU character's name for the IT girl. It might have been a 'shout out,' it might have been deliberate, it might have been character-ownership stuff. Maybe even all three...

Somewhat ironically, Chloe Sullivan, an original character for the series, was probably the best thing about Smallville. (Ditto Lionel Luthor, who made far more of a splash than Luthor's original father, 'Jules Thorul'.)

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
Hard not to make a splash when you've got John Glover.
From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Conjure Lass
And then there was steak!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Conjure Lass   Email Conjure Lass         Edit/Delete Post     
FOURTH. EPISODE. WAS. SO. GOOD. So many fun twists and turns and unexpected things! I was expecting the new husband to be a bad guy, but it looks like he's not going to be!

It's a shame though that the only likable female is Felicity Smoak. I don't remember Dinah being NEARLY this unpleasant in the comics, but I guess this isn't quite the same character.

From: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I like that he's moved forward on opening up to Diggle, and that things have come to a head with the police chief who I'm having trouble seeing as anyone other than Harry Dresden. [Smile]

Click Here For A SpoilerMy 200 quatloos is that Diggle heads back to the lair, dons the green hood and is publically seen shooting some arrows across town, while Ollie is in custody, 'proving' that Ollie can't be the hooded vigilante...

'Robin Hood' and 'the vigilante' are gonna get old, hopefully they start calling him Arrow or Green Arrow soonish, unlike in Smallville, where, ten seasons in, they were still calling him 'the Blur...'

Conjure Lass
And then there was steak!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Conjure Lass   Email Conjure Lass         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
I like that he's moved forward on opening up to Diggle, and that things have come to a head with the police chief who I'm having trouble seeing as anyone other than Harry Dresden. [Smile]

Click Here For A SpoilerMy 200 quatloos is that Diggle heads back to the lair, dons the green hood and is publically seen shooting some arrows across town, while Ollie is in custody, 'proving' that Ollie can't be the hooded vigilante...

'Robin Hood' and 'the vigilante' are gonna get old, hopefully they start calling him Arrow or Green Arrow soonish, unlike in Smallville, where, ten seasons in, they were still calling him 'the Blur...'

I was sort of wondering when they were going to actually give him a name. I don't even think Ollie has named himself.

Click Here For A SpoilerI wouldn't even be willing to bet against you, though anyone with a brain could see the obvious difference in their body structure.

From: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

In retrospect (having had a day to let the episode perk in my mind), I'm beginning to like the 'brat sister,' Thea. Her character arc is moving *fast,* compared to other shows (where she'd be stuck in the same characterization for multiple seasons). She's gone from bratty high-society wastoid, to flat-out telling Ollie that she felt more able to connect with and condide *in his gravestone* than she ever did his living self, to trying to help him work things through with Laurel, and even gently ribbing him at the end of the episode when she catches him smiling.

"What is that on your face!"

Her heart to heart with her mother, last episode, culminating in her attending a company / family function, rather than ditching to go party with her friends, was also a neat bit of development.

I'm also liking how Ollie's step-dad is playing against assumptions as well.

Laurel is still a bit hit and miss for me. I liked her begrudgingly deciding to play outside of the rules, and the judge kind of hammering it home with 'this isn't a court of justice, it's a court of law', although I didn't like how quickly she changed her mind during the prison fight.

Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
Thea's arc does seem to be moving fast, and as you I like it so far, but it being a tv show, there a huge danger that it's not so much progress as simply the first swing in an eternal pendulum. Much like JR Ewing going from villain to human being and back endlessly.

It was particularly irksome when they did it with Sylar on Heroes. I liked very much that they reformed him, but dammit people at least stick with it for two seasons!

So anyway, cautiously optimistic here.

From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

quote:
Originally posted by Shining Son:
[QB] Thea's arc does seem to be moving fast, and as you I like it so far, but it being a tv show, there a huge danger that it's not so much progress as simply the first swing in an eternal pendulum. Much like JR Ewing going from villain to human being and back endlessly.

Very true. I hate when a character slingshots back and forth between character growth and being exactly like they were when we first met them. (Which, IMO, is usually a problem with multiple writers, some of whom are still working from the character baseline and failing to account for change that's occured since then, or 'ascended fanboys' getting into the writing and rebooting the character back to the way they liked it best when they became a fan...)
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Ah, but much as in comics where I would blame the editor who does have the longer view, on tv I blame the producer. And there's much more money in tv so less excuse for nobody to be paying attention.
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Finally caught the first coupla eps as they suddenly appeared in the On Demand menu of my cable provider. Gotta say: so far, so good!

I like the take they have here on Ollie and his mythos. This is MUCH better than Green Arrow has been in the comics for several years and a much more entertaining and deeper "young Ollie" than what DC launched with the New 52.

Yes, you gotta kind of gloss over some of the stereotypical "Batman" elements and some of the illogical leaps (such as how can a recorded confession from a crook obviously done under violent coersion be used in a court of law?!?!), but the cast is really appealing and all the ongoing plots/subplots engaging.

So how many episodes have aired? On Demand has the first three (will watch the third tonight). Will the fourth air tonight, or is the service missing an ep or two?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I think tonight's is the fifth.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
TOTES into ARROW!!! I LOVE the fast pacing, which reminds me of another CW show THE VAMPIRE DIARIES... stuff there moves along at a nice pace also.

Yes, we are at 5 episodes. HULU has them all now, but I think 5 is the max they carry at a time (episode 6 will knock off the pilot episode) so catch up quick!

My sole complaint is I'm not seeing Laurel as Black Canary... if that even IS the plan for her. "Horrible fishnets"? *GLARE* Although the Laurel/Ollie kiss scene was TRES HAWT.

And how cool did Deathstroke look?? And next, the Royal Flush Gang!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

I'm quite convinced that even if they have a plan for Laurel as Black Canary, they aren't married to it at this point.

Smallville clearly didn't know they were going to do half the cool stuff of later seasons when they were doing the first couple, or they would have foreshadowed much of it. And they had a "Kara" with superpowers early on too.

The old X-Men cartoon thought they were starting after Phoenix Saga (early on Jean said "I had my own dark times" with much gravitas) but couple seasons later, they went ahead and did the saga.

So, kinda doesn't even matter what their plan is at the moment. [Smile] If the show lasts 6 seasons, Laurel WILL be Black Canary at some point. Assuming they don't kill her off before then.

What am I saying? If they kill her off, she'll DEFINTELY be back as Black Canary.

Shining Son
oversexed young adult

In fact I wonder if Laurel's mom will show up as Black Canary first.
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Another possibility: Laurel's sister showing up as BC or someone else.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.