Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Welcome to Legion World. Introduce yourself, why don't ya! (Page 76)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 95 pages: 1  2  3  ...  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  ...  93  94  95   
Author Topic: Welcome to Legion World. Introduce yourself, why don't ya!
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Candle, I did not know you were Shady. Good to see you back, even though we've been speaking on another thread.

For the newbies, and because I as well am now past forty and do not remember if i have lit up this thread:

Rickshaw1: Real Name...Rick Bennett
Occupation: Many and varied. In times past I have been a timber buyer, a pre-stress concrete worker, a Trucking company Dispatch/Manager, a construction manager for Palm Harbor Homes, a county Home Inpector, a private home inspector in business for myself, a driver for Fed Ex

Education: Financial degree from Francis Marion University in Florence, SC. I currently live 24 miles south of there in Lake City, SC.

Legion fan: since there was a bomb inside a planet and Ultra Boy thought PG was killed by it. The green lizard guys sucked, I thought. Why would the waste a perfectly good big boobed teenaged pigtailed brunette. Then I saw shrinking violet from the same era and thought...Okay, fair enough. then I saw Princess Projectra and said to myself...She looks just like Seka. then I turned eight.

Hobbies and Interests: Baseball, Carolina Panthers and South Carolina Gamecocks football. Scuba diving, which I hope to do again one day. Carpentry, Reading anything and everything that catches and holds my attention, a small nursery that I am trying to start from the ground up with zero money, do it yourself stuff like plumbing, electrical, auto...basically, anything I can do with my hands. Online....well, I watch a few tv shows here and there (the late, lamented scrubs, ditto Dharma and Greg, Big Bang theory, Rules of Engagement, Castle, Bones) as well as bombing around the DCU boards as well as these, natch. Here, my main haunt is the Anywhere forum and Dr. Gymll's. And I am the official Resident Cranky Poster. DO NOT CHALLENGE MY SUPERIOR CRANKY-NESS OR I SHALL SMITE THEE WITH THE HAMMER OF ...SOMEONE REALLY CRANKY!

I learned computer on DOS, so don't expect me to know any bells and whistles...i still use a cell phone to make calls and take calls. lame, I know.

And, I now estimate my comics collection to number around 15,000. But the speed of growth is slowing considerably of late.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I guess it's good to redo ourselves here, rather than expect newbies to reread 76 pages and pick out who is current from the masses.

I'm Sean. I'm an American in Canada, a grad student in History, age 41. I've done everything from restaurant work to small-town journalism, art/antique restoration to landscaping, and even worked in a CBS for a half-decade in the mid-90s.

I've been a Legion fan since around 1978, dropped it in 1989, followed it sporadically during the 90s, but came back full-time with the DnA run 7 years ago this spring. Joined LW 6 years go.

I'm not TV person and see only about 1/3 of the movies I intend to. I only follow a few comics these days, and am more inclined towards Vertigo than super-heroes. I mourn the great black-and-white indy-comics scene of the 90s, and aspire to one day get around to an online GN I've been brainstorming.

My biggest creative accomplishment thus far is Legion of Camelot, a fanfic interweaving LSH and Arthurian lore, which in my Microsoft Word version numbers more than 600 pages in length (and I'm not even halfway). I also draw, but with less speed than a can write.

I'm a post-whore like the best of em, but my grad school workload has been limiting my participation here of late.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm Raquel, your friendly neighborhood madwoman -- but only on the internet. When I'm off the internet, I'm just a regular girl, but the internet brings out a whole other side to me.

I am a major pop culture geek, especially when it comes to pop music, comic books, and 80s TV cartoons (how I miss the lavish production values, melodramatic voice acting, and larger-than-life music of those cartoons.)

I am bisexual, and I favor women, and it's great that Legion World is so tolerant of alternative lifestyles.

I was raised on funny animal comics, didn't get into superheroes until my late teens. My favorite Legion era by far is the Paul Levitz/Greg LaRocque one, but my favorite of anything to do with the Legion is the middle issues of the original L.E.G.I.O.N. run.

Currently, the only comics I follow are Fallen Angel, Conan, a handful of Vertigo titles, and the Marvels Project Golden Age mini-series.

I am an active (if erratically productive) fanfic writer. I have some fanfics here at Legion World in the Bits forum, as well as at my own blog, which there's a link to on my profile. I also have two Transformers fanfics at Legend of Cybertron, "Into the Unknown" and "A Bitter Homecoming."

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
I guess it's good to redo ourselves here, rather than expect newbies to reread 76 pages and pick out who is current from the masses.

Good idea, Kent!

Thomas, here - 36, New Yorker by birth, Pennsylvanian by marriage. I'm a former Special Ops paratrooper, currently an IT consultant (though I, too, have had some odd jobs - including two unfortunate weeks in 1991, selling frozen meat, door to door, off the back of a truck).

I'm madly devoted to my wife and my dog, the two of whom have, respectively, inspired my vegetarianism and my support of the SPCA.

I love travel (both for work and pleasure), go through phases of music interest (jazz, blues, folk), and am a massive cinema buff.

My Legion interest goes back to age twelve when my family's landlord gave me his old Silver Age comic collection. Not really an artist or serious writer, my own creative Legion outlet has been the design and staging of several Legion-themed message board "game shows". I've put on several seasons of a Legion-based Jeopardy show, and last year staged a massive Legion-Survivor game here on LW. I'm currently putting together a Legion-Amazing Race that I hope to stage early next summer.

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
My name is David. Born and raised and still live in the greater Detroit area of Michigan...you know the place that has over 15% unemployment.

I'm an Unemployed worker. Have done many jobs over the years. Currently Part Time at Toys R Us.

Going back to school in a few weeks.

My love for the Legion goes back to the 70's when I discovered a stack of comics in my Uncle's room. He had several giant issues of Superboy laying there and I was hooked.

My life really consists of my two kids. Hannah (9) and Jonathan (2 in about 18 days.) They are what keeps me moving.

I follow the Legion, the Flash and The Walking Dead. I love Zombie movies of all kinds. I am currently working on my Legion restoration project utilizing all Pre reboot continuity.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BouncingBear
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BouncingBear   Email BouncingBear         Edit/Delete Post     
My name is Ed and I live in Utah with my partner Matt. (yes, I'm gay). As I kid in the 60's, I lived in Palmm Springs, CA where I read my first Legion story which was Adventure #342 the Legionnaire Who Killed. I thought it was a great read and two issues later with the Super-Stalag of Space I was hooked on the Legion for life. I became and avid fan and wrote many letters to the Legion Outpost until finnaly I was chosen to have one printed in Superboy 172 in 1971. From then I decided to start calling myself the Letter King and had several letters printed for the next four years or so. Then I joined the Coast Guard and spent the next 20 years saving people on the high seas. I tried to keep up with the Legion but couldn't always do it with my military career and family taking up so much energy. Now I'm retired and my son who is in his late twenties gave me a couple of comics to read and the Legion was among them. Now I'm back.
From: San Francisco | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Name: John

Points of Origin: Boston (12 years in childhood; 6 in adulthood), Florida (9 years), Detroit (2 years) and Houston (the last 11 years).

Children: None human; One canine: Seven-year-old male beagle mix, Hyvvie (short for Hyfrydol).

Relationship status: Single

Orientation: Gay

Hobbies and interests: Comics, choral singing, classic TV and movies, penguins, beagles and all sorts of other things.

Legion fan since: 1978.

Comics preferences: DC's second string (Legion, JSA, Flash, Green Lantern); Peanuts.

[ January 06, 2010, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Rockhopper Lad ]

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
My name is Greg. I live in the Kansas City area and teach college composition courses. Occasionally, I also write stuff.

My obsession with the Legion goes back to Legion of Super-Heroes v. 1 # 1, in 1973, which was a reprint of "The Lad Who Wrecked the Legion" (Adventure # 328). I got in on the ground floor as Cary Bates and Dave Cockrum revamped the Legion later that year.

As a child, my five favorite Legionnaires were Mon-El, Lightning Lad, Invisible Kid, Sun Boy, and Chemical King. Each of these would suffer death at some point, an ominous sign?

I followed the Legion faithfully until 1990, when I checked out during the Five Years Later period. I returned twice, during 1993-94 (winding down the 5YL period) and from 1998-2004 (most of the reboot). Currently, I'm not following the Legion or comics at all, but I still post here. LW is a fun community to be part of, and I enjoy analyzing the old stories.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Not much is known about Quislet, Esq. as he is a national man of mystery (hoping someday to become an international man of mystery.) This may have something to do with his love of word puzzles and logic problems.

His first exposure to the Legion was Superboy & THe Legion of Superheroes #212, which saw the debut and only appearance of Syndi.

In his subscription bag at the local comic book shop, one will find issues of JSA, JLA, Flash, Legion, Green Lantern, & X-Factor.

He has had training in the legal field, but is currently unsure as to what he wants to make his life's work. He became an uncle at the tender age of 7 and now boasts of 7 nieces and nephews and 7 great nieces and nephews. Making him a great uncle. He will occassionally talk about himself in the third person.

Do you think we should revive the Limerick thread in Spaceopoly?

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by BouncingBear:
My name is Ed and I live in Utah with my partner Matt. (yes, I'm gay). As I kid in the 60's, I lived in Palmm Springs, CA where I read my first Legion story which was Adventure #342 the Legionnaire Who Killed. I thought it was a great read and two issues later with the Super-Stalag of Space I was hooked on the Legion for life. I became and avid fan and wrote many letters to the Legion Outpost until finnaly I was chosen to have one printed in Superboy 172 in 1971. From then I decided to start calling myself the Letter King and had several letters printed for the next four years or so. Then I joined the Coast Guard and spent the next 20 years saving people on the high seas. I tried to keep up with the Legion but couldn't always do it with my military career and family taking up so much energy. Now I'm retired and my son who is in his late twenties gave me a couple of comics to read and the Legion was among them. Now I'm back.

I didn't know Utah had a Coast Guard base. [Wink]

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Exnihil:

Thomas, here - 36, New Yorker by birth, Pennsylvanian by marriage. I'm a former Special Ops paratrooper, currently an IT consultant (though I, too, have had some odd jobs - including two unfortunate weeks in 1991, selling frozen meat, door to door, off the back of a truck).

I'm madly devoted to my wife and my dog, the two of whom have, respectively, inspired my vegetarianism and my support of the SPCA.

I love travel (both for work and pleasure), go through phases of music interest (jazz, blues, folk), and am a massive cinema buff.

My Legion interest goes back to age twelve when my family's landlord gave me his old Silver Age comic collection. Not really an artist or serious writer, my own creative Legion outlet has been the design and staging of several Legion-themed message board "game shows". I've put on several seasons of a Legion-based Jeopardy show, and last year staged a massive Legion-Survivor game here on LW. I'm currently putting together a Legion-Amazing Race that I hope to stage early next summer.

...and he's a dead ringer for NASCAR's Jeff Gordon! (Yes, Thomas, I SHALL run that into the ground! [Razz] )

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
Hmmm...just noticed we are doing re-intro's.

I'm Mark, aka dedman aka bathori, aged 36.

I just finished studying for my 3rd class power engineer certificate and will be working in the field starting in late March. Before getting into this career I worked a variety of jobs including - farmer, labourer, telemarketer, pro wrestler, set designer, musician, cook and security guard.

I am originally from Newfoundland, but have lived and worked in Fort McMurray, Alberta for the past (almost)4 years.

I am married to a wonderful lady and we have no kids, but two cats.

I first got into the Legion with those old Blue Ribbon Digests, but never started to collect till around the Great Darkness Saga, when the local store started carrying Legion on its spinner rack. The Levitz era still stands as my favorite. Ultra Boy is my favorite Legion member.

Other comics I enjoy (or have enjoyed in the past) include- ROM, Alpha Flight, The Walking Dead, Fables, Preacher, Astro City and Powers.

Besides comics I enjoy video games, reading, drawing, photomanipulation, music (performing and listening), and watching movies and some TV shows.

Other message boards I frequent include gamefaqs.com and x360a.org.

From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Getting closer to finishing my review of the 5YL storied, and the beginning of my continuation epic.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Looking forward to that epic, Dev.

Long as I'm posting in this thread, I should give the following update: I now have a second, all-fanfic blog, but I will keep doing occassional posts on the original blog -- expect a review of The Losers movie for sure.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Does the blog thing work good for you Stealth? I've considered doing that as well as posting it here .
  This topic comprises 95 pages: 1  2  3  ...  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  ...  93  94  95   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.