Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Aquaman (Page 7)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Aquaman
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
We got a new issue of A-man adventures. Busiek continues to give us some great action mixed with inersting character bits.

We've got Artie leading some Atlanteans and the Sea Devils in a fight to repel Oceanmaster and his land-dweller army. Things get rough for our hero and his people, but all works out in the end.

We get a nice little bit with King Shark feeling more shark than king, Mera & the Dweller have a conversation that clears any doubts readers might have, and Artie's not the orphan we think he is.

Enjoy it!

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
Tad Williams (yeah that writer guy. Guess Marvel's not the only ones now.)

I liked Busiek's run, and Williams is suppose to follow up with the more fantasy adventure Aquaman. I'm even more excited now.

The same writeer that did The Green Tower stories? If so, he's a terrific storyteller!

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Busiek gives us a flashback tale this week. We see the first encounter between Orin and King Shark. We'll get the 2nd of 2 parts next month.

The art is great, it really gives this an old pulp adventure comic feel. And Busiek has been giving us single issue stories that tie together, a treat in this era of epic arcs.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
The cover for the March issue, by Mario Alberti, is gorgeous. Too bad he doesn't do the interior art as well - not that McManus is at all bad. The Alberti cover and Kaluta's for the April issue have a real fantasy/Fables feel about them. I wonder if they're trying to overtly position the book as non-superhero, especially with fantasy writer Tad Williams.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
I think you're right, given that they've mostly removed the character from the surface world, given the character a sword, and delved a lot into the magical stuff.

Might not be a bad idea, though they've had dreadful luck with the other sword-and-sorcery stuff.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey look-- Aquacat!

http://www.comics.org/coverview.lasso?id=201957&zoom=4

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
A magic, underwater cat? Why not? They've got a talking shark.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
That's horribly unrealisitc. Everybody knows cats hate water.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Incidentally, count me as *loving* the fantasy/sword and sorcery take on Aquaman. The biggest problem with the series, as far as I can tell, is that they didn't do it as a complete reboot of the franchise. This would be perfect as "All-Star Aquaman".
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
"The biggest problem with the series, as far as I can tell, is that they didn't do it as a complete reboot of the franchise."

AQUAMAN, like GREEN LANTERN, has long been a victim of repeated periods of neglect and bad treatment in its long history. It seems to me half the time new writers come in having to spend all their energies trying to "fix" things previous writers have screwed up-- badly. The other time, new wrtiers come in determined to screw things up as badly as possible!!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure if anyone else has posted about this yet or not but this is big news for this series! Do not read further if you want to be surprised!

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!

Just saw this in the April solicit. I added the bold ...

"AQUAMAN: SWORD OF ATLANTIS #51

Written by Tad Williams; Art by Shawn McManus and Walden Wong; Cover by Michael Wm. Kaluta

Acclaimed fantasy writer Tad Williams continues his run on the title that's already garnered a great deal of attention! Black Manta is trying to move in on the remains of Sub Diego, and Tempest tries to help Arthur recover the Trident of Poseidon!"

When you think about it Tempest (as a mage he was trained to be) fits in very well with the new feel for this title. Hope it means he'll be around for a while.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
Dan DiDio teased the return of Tempest in one of his columns a while back, so I don't think it's a spoiler at this point.

I'm glad he's back, but if anything he may be too powerful to hang with this bunch regularly.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

We got a new writer, a new direction, a new cast and a new death.

Yep, you heard me right.

Eryk Davis Ester

Given my new Showcase-inspired interest in Aquaman, I'm excited to see this. I think I'm waiting to pick it up in trades, however.
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

EDE, I've been leaning more towards the trades for my reading. But books like Aquaman, Manhunter, and Checkmate likely need the monthly sales before they go tpb.

With the new team and the sluggish OYL start, I'd suggest anyone interested to give the new writer 3-5 issues.

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.