Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Aquaman (Page 9)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Aquaman
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I sometimes wonder if certain titles shouldn't be released as ongoing graphic novels...
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
And we've got the second issue by the new writer. He's done a complete 180 in terms of tone for this book. Where Busiek had a very adventure feel to it, Williams has written a more simpler, almost campy book.

Between that and the art- I'm turned off. This isn't the A-man I signed on for OYL.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I was a bit bored by Busiek's adventure/fantasy stuff but it was better than the campy current stuff. I've never been a big Aquaman fan anyways. I do agree CJ this title would benefit of one GN book released a year. Have AM join the JLA (or JSA?) y ja!
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Dropped it. I was only buying it for Guice's art.

quote:
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
...that and the art- I'm turned off. This isn't the A-man I signed on for OYL.

Amen. [Good]

Busiek's stuff wasn't his best, but this stuff isn't as good as his worst. And why so quick to get rid of The Dweller? [Confused]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Pov:
I was only buying it for Guice's art.

He's doing the two World War Hulk-tie-in Iron Man issues next, isn't he?

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
I wouldn't know about that, I'm afraid... after Drivel Bore, my interest in things Marvel has dwindled to next to nothing. Everything I needed to know about THAT mess was neatly summed up on the text page starting SHE-HULK #17. [Razz]

Not even Butch's art could get me to buy into WWH. Marvel's got a really bad penchant for putting artists I love on stuff I refuse to buy, like Greg Land or Pascal Ferry on their respective Ultimate titles. [Frown]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Bumping this because I've got Aquaman on the brain.

So Aquaman has always been my least favorite DC icon. Among other things, he's the one DC icon whose Marvel counterpart, Namor, actually pre-dates him. The only time I ever liked Aquaman was during Peter David's mid-to-late-90s run, and even that declined long before PAD left the book. It wasn't Orin himself that I found interesting so much as the Namor-esque bad attitude that PAD grafted onto him and the rich mythos and supporting cast (in particular, I think Aquaman's long-living sorceror dad, Atlan, was an awesome character.)

What this is all leading to is that I recently re-read The Atlantis Chronicles and the first 25 issues of PAD's run and enjoyed them immensely, and it's actually got me semi-excited for one of DC's relaunches, Aquaman by Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis. Now, I'll give the first issue a fair chance, because there is such raw potential and because Reis is one of my favorite artists, but if Johns serves up his usual fetid brew of gore and creepiness, I'll drop it so fast it'll make his head spin.

Anyhow, that's just my two cents.

Anybody else looking forward to the Aquaman relaunch?

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I am too, and my thoughts mirror your own almost exactly!

I wouldn't mind seeing some of his supporting cast from PAD's run return (which DC stupidly and typically killed off piecemeal over the years).

I hope Johns is smart enough to keep the more complex origin PAD gave Orin. (I know Loeb tried to ignore it once but that's typical for him).

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
Aquaman is the only other book besides Legion I plan on buying without a first glance.

I've been following his "Brightest Day" adventures vicariously through the Aquaman Shrine blog, so it seems like we should be getting a solid book from that team.

Now Fanfic Lady has me a bit hesitant with the "gore and creepiness" comment, but I still plan on picking it up.

I became a big fan with the camo costume miniseries, and it's good to see him retaking a prominent role in the DC Universe.

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Suddenly Seymour: I became a big fan with the camo costume miniseries, and it's good to see him retaking a prominent role in the DC Universe.
I think that's actually the last time I liked Aquaman, too!

I'm a total heretic, I'd like Aquaman better if he had water manipulating powers, like the Teen Titans cartoon version of Aqualad, or the Smallville 'AC.' Just being kinda strong and tough on land isn't as sexy as it was before movies like Blade and The Matrix.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
I had planned to get the next AQ series, since I've gotten them all since right after the camo series, but I'm just not feeling it. it's on my pull for a one issue tryout though.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
This solicitation seems to confirm my worst fears. [sigh]

quote:
AQUAMAN #2
Written by GEOFF JOHNS
Art and cover by IVAN REIS and JOE PRADO
On sale OCTOBER 26 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
The red-hot creative team behind BLACKEST NIGHT and BRIGHTEST DAY reunite!
An entire town…devoured! As Aquaman and Mera discover the grisly truth behind a town’s disappearance, the Trench infestation spreads inland! Plus: Another gruesome Trench power revealed – and it’s not for the squeamish!

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Sheesh! That does sound pretty terrible!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

And to think I used to like Johns!

Still...some of his early Green Lantern stuff holds up pretty well...

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, Johns had kind of an initial appeal to me, but after the fifth or sixth decapitation, his stuff really just started to turn me off.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.