Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you WATCHING? (Page 60)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  57  58  59  60  61  62  63  ...  78  79  80   
Author Topic: So what are you WATCHING?
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm totally with you, EDE, about seeing an actual costumed hero again! And I don't mean to give the impression this is classic television. "Lost," it's definitely not. Got it's got great bones, and I hope, unlike poor "Heroes," the creative team can improve, rather than tear down. The other thing I realize is that I've ALWAYS had a big thing for the true caped, hooded hero of the 1930s and 40s--Hourman, Spectre, Green Lama (!?!). It's such a simple but powerful and intimidating visual, it has an almost genetic memory kind of impact. So, it's a big thrill for me to see that done "live action" and done rather well. It's also great to have an articulate response to Edna Mode's classic declaration, "No capes!"

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
We've recently got into the BBC "Robin Hood" Series via Netflix.ca, and it's been really fun. The whole cast is great (particularly the villains), the writing's punchy and it's been a great series for "Done-in-one" television. For a Comics connection, Paul Cornell was one of the writers in the first season.

We're almost done Season #1 and Seasons #2 & #3 are available (I assume on the US Netflix as well).

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
So I actually thought the third episode of The Cape definitely showed signs of improvement. This is totes looking like a Fringe more than a Heroes in terms of quality-trajectory.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
So I actually thought the third episode of The Cape definitely showed signs of improvement. This is totes looking like a Fringe more than a Heroes in terms of quality-trajectory.

I caught most of it last night, my first chance to see it. There's obviously already a lot of backstory, and not knowing it confused me at various points.

I also thought that what I saw of what the cape itself can do looked pretty goofy and how the hero reclaimed it at the end seemed silly. Is that what the cape does? Grab things and hit/slice things?

Seemed like the Cape did his worst Christian Bale as Batman impression, too, with the voice. I understand the need to disguise, but it never comes off as anything but silly.

Some of the acting was good, but the lead himself seems a little too wooden.

I might check out the pilot and future episodes, but I wasn't nearly as impressed as I was by those early episodes of Heroes.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
The Canadian/American remake of Being Human was... Interesting. The Effects were better but the acting was worse. The plot is moving in a different direction already and the cliffhanger was good. It was funny to see Canadian settings and hear Canadian music and then be told they were in Boston. Would American Audiences really turn on it if it was set in Montreal? :/
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
My wife and I completed the final seasons of Tudors last night--one of the best series to hit television ever. I highly recommend this to anyone at all who loves drama and intrigue. People with a passion for history will get an added bonus (but it's not necessary).

The acting is outstanding and the creators pulled no punches--yet didn't go out of their way to be needlessly controversial (and with King Henry VIII, the controversy is already firmly there).

The series ended perfectly.

I felt a familiar emotion from watching the finishes to Rome, Deadwood and especially Lost. I'm thrilled it ended on a high note, but I'm sad to see it go.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Just watched this week's Hawaii 5-0, and wow! What a great bit a television! First off, an exciting episode in and of itself, as the team has to solve the disappearance of the head of the Tsunami Warning Center against the tense backdrop of an oncoming Tsunami, but then it suddenly and unexpectedly tied into a plot from a previous episode, and then set up a new mystery at the end! This show just keeps getting better and better!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
^I watched that episode Sunday, Edie, (as it aired after the football game) my first full ep of the season. Not bad, I'd say! Good cast, hints of ongoing subplot--if there were more sex, I'd be sure to watch more! [Big Grin]

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I was actually wondering how someone who hadn't been following the series would react to the episode, because it really shifted from something that seemed like a standalone episode to relying heavily upon the emotions evoked by previous episodes.
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Caught encore presentations of the first two eps of Being Human tonight. So far, me rikey! Will definitely check out episode 3 this Monday!

--------------------

SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
My enthusiasm for "The Cape" is steadily declining... it took me a while to get caught up with the third and fourth episodes, and when I did watch them, I was kind of bored... shame since it seemed pretty promising...

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I'm still liking the Cape, but it does have problems. The flashbacks are really annoying me, for one thing. The inconsistencies in his abilities are kind of annoying as well. On the one hand, he seems to have unrealistically mastered too much of the stuff the circus folks taught him in the first episode, but then he makes a stupid mistake of not being able to use his cape against the wind on top of the moving train last episode.

I loved, however, the head of prisons or whatever as his groupie in the latest episode, as well as the tension between his career as a super-hero and the fact that his allies are, well, criminals.

Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
Originally posted by Chief Lardy:
Caught encore presentations of the first two eps of Being Human tonight. So far, me rikey! Will definitely check out episode 3 this Monday!

I'm undecided on this as well. The whiny-ness of the characters is getting on my nerves already. And vampires are *so* boring! It is kind of cool seeing Jacob as the head vampire or whatever however!
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Hello everyone! It's been a long time.

I've seen many good flicks since my last post.

But I will start with a disappointment. The Bridge Over the River Kwai. Considered one of the best films ever. I don't see it. Sure it had that honor and principal thing but I just didn't see it as such a big deal. I did see it as head games between the japanese general and Alec Guinness' character.

This may be the first time I've seen William Holden acting. It was a decent portrayal of the disillusioned army man.

I have to admit the ending was fantastic. One of the best ever but the 2 hours and 40 minutes that it took to get there...painful.

Decent acting, great ending.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
^ I've never seen Bridge on the River Kwai. Or The Great Escape. All my brothers and Dad love their World War II movies so I'm not sure how I missed them.

Sorry to hear BotRK isn't that good because I think I'd still like to see that one one day - if only for William Holden. I really like that actor. Ultra Jorge - see Sunset Boulevard and The Wild Bunch if you want to see some really good William Holden movies.

I've seen loads of things recently. Trying to remember them all...

* The Shield Season 7 (final season) - LOVE THIS SHOW! Anyone else here watch it? VERY, VERY, VERY good show - one of the best cop shows ever. Acting, writing, directing, music... everything about this show was on point. Very sorry to see it go. That said, I was a teensy bit disappointed with the ending. I was fervently hoping something different would happen with one of the characters. Can't complain though - those writers gave me seven seasons of pleasure (even if that pleasure was a little lot confronting and hard to take at times).

* The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl who Played with Fire - (proviso - I haven't read the books). God, these movies sucked! The first one was SO completely blindingly obvious from the very first scene and the second was just a boring drudge. It didn't help that the main male character was completely lacking in any personality or charisma or that the main female character was such an artificially constructed, geeky-emo-male's wet dream fantasy come to life - she's 5ft, tattooed and pierced, amazing with computers, amazing at self-defence, amazing at sex (whether it be with a guy or a girl)... ugh. I'm sure the books have things going for them but based on what I've seen from these films, I never want to find out.

* Up in the Air - I really liked this one. George Clooney picks good films IMO and he's really good in this one. So is the whole support cast around him. Funny and sad. As someone who used to fly a lot for work I could relate to the story somewhat too. I'll see this one again one day.

* True Grit (the original) and Rooster Cogburn - other than bits and pieces of a few when I was about 5, I think these were the first John Wayne films I've ever seen. Really not seeing what the big deal was with the guy. Not a very good actor. That said, he's pretty good in True Grit and the movie is all-around excellent too. Great writing and directing and a fab supporting cast here too (including Robert Duvall and Dennis Hopper). I think even someone who didn't like 'Westerns' would enjoy this movie. It's sequel Rooster Cogburn is pretty much just an inferior re-tread however, though it does have a pretty cool extended raft-escape scene and Katharine Hepburn is in it for those who are fans of hers (I'm not really one of them).

* Blue Velvet - Great movie. Weird and creepy and disturbing but also romantic and beautiful and haunting. I can definitely see why it's considered a classic. The scene where Dean Stockwell sings Roy Orbison's hit In Dreams is amazing. I was a big Twin Peaks fan back in the day so it's interesting seeing Lynch using some early versions of techniques he used in that show here too.

* Black Swan - I liked it. The story (and it's conclusion) were pretty plainly telegraphed almost right from the start but I don't think that really mattered. Even if the end was a little obvious it was still a pleasure to watch Aranofsky's impressive filmmaking and directing skills and Natalie Portman's incredible performance - she definitely deserves the Oscar IMO. What wasn't fun though was the annoying group of teenage girls who sat behind me and whispered and giggled all the way through the movie! I have murderous thoughts toward people like that!

More movies later as I think of them...

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  57  58  59  60  61  62  63  ...  78  79  80   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.