Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Mattel: LSH action figures! (Page 26)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27   
Author Topic: Mattel: LSH action figures!
kcekada
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kcekada   Email kcekada         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chemical King:
Yeah it does NOT have to be another 12 set in my eyes... how about a six Legion girls set, or a Mon-El & Shadow Lass set, Blok and the White Witch... everything would be great as long as they are giving the girls some stronger arms than Saturn Girl... I really have to say that after watching at those dolls for some weeks now, the Saturn Girl figure is by far the least fun to look at...

Indeed. I've been compaining about the toothpick arms on the female figures for quite some time. Yet, they are still in use. That and the fact that I never liked the Giffen outfit -- makes Saturn Girl the weakest link of the entire set.
Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colossal Boy
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Colossal Boy   Email Colossal Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
On another board, toyguru or fangirl 2.0 stated that the first set was very challenging and that NO MORE 12-PACKS OF ANY TYPE are planned.

I do think that the success of the boxed set will ensure more Legionnaire figures of some sort. My pick would be a female 5 or 6-pack -- maybe anchored by 70s Supergirl to build up the team. I can see Mon-El and Dawnstar in the sub though. [/QB]

Yea this set was basically the equivalent of two DCUC waves. It really bottlenecked things from the Four Horsemen all the way through production. I think it almost a year and half after the set was announced that it finally went on sale.

The nice thing about another 12 pack set is that it would come very close to completing the pre-Crisis Legion. Hopefully a 5 or 6 pack set is still a possibility. Otherwise we're looking 1 or 2 new Legion figures a year, meaning it would be several years before we get close to a full team.

Also I just saw this on EBay and can't believe someone put this up. Hopefully it is just a prank :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Universe-Classics-Legion-Super-Heroes-12-pack-Invisible-Kid-figure-NEW-/260884117675?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbde7b8ab

Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
It does say "Figure not included."

Kinda funny though.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
Hope that clown gets the biggest negative rating if one is sold. That jerk has FOUR of them? That must mean he's hoarded at least four sets. Way to be a greedy criminal.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
whooo hoooo!!!! perfect day before Xmas !!! Just got the clubhouse!!!!

[Fortress Lad] [Koko] [Bouncing Boy]

From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Mine arrived a few hours ago! Quite a long journey it took to get here, too. California to Nevada to Indiana to Atlanta to Tennessee, back to Georgia and then to Knoxville...

I'm surprised how much I like Colossal Boy. He looks like a Steve Lightle drawing come to 'life'. I knew I'd love Tenzil and Val (who really should've had articulated hands). Though the Ultra Boy is nothing like he's ever been in a comic, he somehow embodies that brief state of teen-ness when height, musculature, etc. has developed, but a gangly quality still exists. Jo as a sort of space surfer dude.

Superboy's grin is weird. Cosmic Boy doesn't look like I've ever pictured him, but I find the facial sculpt captivating enough that he's like a new version of him.

I am disappointed in the extreme twigginess of Saturn Girl's arms. I was scared I'd break them taking her out of her shell! I guess now I'm glad Mattel *didn't* make more Legion girls, it they'd all have to have this weirdly elongated body with super-skinny arms.

I'd have to say I prefer DC Direct's Imra, as immobile as she is. I really love that Cosmic Boy, too- with his magnetic hands.

Anyway- Proty's fun... Wildfire and T-Wolf look great. Brainy's a good bit brawnier than he should be, but he looks great.

My favorite thing is the clubhouse, though. With those 'ready for transport' messages, it's made me imagine a story around it. It's a neat addition to think that the old clubhouse actually *was* a rocket ship-- one equipped with some sort of state of suspended life support tech. What kind of mission would the LSH have to undertake to use this tech?

Invisible Kid's chamber is both fun and aggravating. I want a figure of him! I guess I could stick the DC Direct one in there... but I don't think it'd 'fit'. Personally, I'd like that uniform Lyle wore in the most recent SECRET ORIGINS, but I don't imagine that's what I'd get. Going by the timing of all the other costumes, I'm surprised they didn't make it Jacques.

Maybe an Espionage Squad set? Lyle and/or Jacques, Phantom Girl, Shrinking Violet and maybe Tellus? That is, if Mattel somehow comes up with a female body that works better.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evolution Has Failed
Two more armpits than Atmos!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evolution Has Failed   Email Evolution Has Failed         Edit/Delete Post     
Whoo, finally got mine today, too ... all the way from southern California to southeastern Connecticut!

First of all: BRILLIANT packaging, though I can see where it may have caused a headache in terms of its size...not quite sure where to put mine myself.

Second point (a question): On the sides of the packages, they state each character's symbol. I believe they have made some up? For Tenzil, they have an "M" with a bite chomped out...NOT what I remember seeing previously. Likewise, Colossal
boy has concentric, rising squares (getting bigger), which also does not look familiar.

Third: to answer Chemical King's question earlier, I did get the new version, and it
does have what I would call "off-white" whites, but not quite what I would call gray... they look more like they are just in need of a run through the laundry.

fourth: Agree that superboy's grin looks weird.

fifth: Saturn Girl's hips are just a bit too wide for the rest of her, I think...probably related to others' perceptions that her arms are too small.

overall, though, I'm thrilled to have this!!!!

As for who I'd like to see next: first, I'd like to FINALLY have, (please!!), an ELEMENT LAD figure!

After that, I agree they should catch up on the girls...I'd think Phantom Girl should be first, then Triplicate Girl, Ayla, Vi, Jeckie, and Shady.

--------------------
"I like stuff that doesn't exist."

From: Old Lyme, CT | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Hee hee! I put Brainy and Jo on my Christmas tree, like ornaments! They're the only ones with holiday appropriate color schemes. Jo looks like he's riding his branch (does that sound dirty?) like the end of Dr. Strangelove.

Did anyone see the Dr. Who Christmas special? I sort of want to read a story where some weird cosmic entity traps legionnaires to put on his Christmas space tree! In giant see-through glass/plastic/technoinvention spheres, of course.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
Sounds like a Dr. Mayavale kind of story to me - let's see some pictures [Smile] (this coming from someone who has had action figures in his Christmas trees for over a decade and whose parents actually found some REAL Star Wars tree ornaments on their housefloor last year...)

By the way I totally second your feeling about Colossal Boy, Saturn Girl and all the others. And I'm a little surprised that they did not manage to improve the greyish white on their second run - has nobody told them???

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colossal Boy
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Colossal Boy   Email Colossal Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Evolution Has Failed:

Second point (a question): On the sides of the packages, they state each character's symbol. I believe they have made some up? For Tenzil, they have an "M" with a bite chomped out...NOT what I remember seeing previously. Likewise, Colossal
boy has concentric, rising squares (getting bigger), which also does not look familiar.

It could be with the symbols a similar situation to awhile back when Mattel put out Metamorpho and Obsdian figures but could use not those names on the products because of rights issues.

For example on the traditional tooth symbol for Tenzil, it could be that somebody in the dental industry has the rights to that imagery.

Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pariscub
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pariscub   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Sadly, I wasn't able to order one and I missed out twice on this now. As I refuse to pay double the price on ebay, I guess I won't get this.
Shame.

--------------------
Ze Frainch Legion fan

From: Edinburgh, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
Is there any word on a possible third run? If these sets are selling out within hours, I would think there would be serious consideration to keep making them while the demand is high.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Director Lad
aka Sudro Brown II

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Director Lad   Email Director Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Mattel has some incentive to keep producing them, but as it is, they've sold all their inventory to make maximum expected profit off the two runs. A third run will have two risks: that greater availability will make the set less desirable to collectors thus driving down sales and that they might not sell out a third set, leaving them with stock on hand. When it comes to a big set like this, I'd be surprised if they wanted to risk not selling out. That's some very expensive inventory.

Part of the problem, as I see it, is that this set is marketed to the collectors, rather than the fans. While there's certainly crossover between those communities, it's the collectors (and secondary merchants who sell to collectors) who are the target for these items. If it was being made for the fans, they would have taken pre-orders and made exactly as many as they needed to meet fan demand. Their interest is in creating a secondary market to drive up demand for their products at their point of sale. Selling out of their inventory is their goal; any product that doesn't sell out is probably considered a failure.

From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Very good, Director Lad - your points are all well taken. Me, not knowing much about this business, would assume that since the molds are already made and the paint process and packaging has already been established, that it would be easier and cheaper and more profitable to produce more, even at the risk of having a few left over, given the perceived market demand.

I am interested in getting a set, but won't do it at 300%+ markup from a store or eBay reseller.

--------------------

Pariscub
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pariscub   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
Very good, Director Lad - your points are all well taken. Me, not knowing much about this business, would assume that since the molds are already made and the paint process and packaging has already been established, that it would be easier and cheaper and more profitable to produce more, even at the risk of having a few left over, given the perceived market demand.

I am interested in getting a set, but won't do it at 300%+ markup from a store or eBay reseller.

Actually, that's the case. Once the toy's been sculpted, developed and tooled, it's a lot cheaper to do a new production run because the major expenses have already been absorbed by the first run and the only new cost is the actual prod.

What irritates me the most in this being sold out for the second time within hours is that you have some ebay sellers announcing that they're selling some 30 of them at double the price [Frown]

--------------------
Ze Frainch Legion fan

From: Edinburgh, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.