Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Levitz back to writing Legion, leaving DC presidency? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Levitz back to writing Legion, leaving DC presidency?
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
At least, that's what it's written here:
quote:
Paul Levitz, who has served as President & Publisher of DC Comics since 2002, will segue from that role to return to his roots as a writer for DC and become a contributing editor and overall consultant to DCE. This transition will take place as expeditiously as possible without disrupting DC’s business operations.

In his new role, Levitz will be called upon for his deep knowledge and more than three-decade history with DC Comics, both as a comic creator and an executive. Besides serving as a writer on a number of DC Comics titles, he will be a contributing editor and consultant to DC Entertainment on projects in various media. Additionally, he will consult as needed on the transition and integration of the DC Comics organization into DC Entertainment and will utilize his unique experience, knowledge and relationships with the comics industry’s creative community to help achieve DC Entertainment’s goal of maximizing the value of DC properties. Further, Levitz will advise DC Entertainment on creative and rights-holder relationships, in particular regarding the legacy relationships that have been a part of DC Comics for decades.

Widely recognized and respected for his support of writers, artists and creators in the comics industry, Levitz is best known creatively for his work with DC Comics, having written most of the classic DC characters, including Batman, Wonder Woman and the Superman newspaper strip. At Comicon International in 2008, Levitz was awarded the Bob Clampett Humanitarian Award as part of the Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards, the only industry executive ever so honored.

“DC Comics and its super hero characters are truly touchstones of popular culture, and the formation of DC Entertainment is a major step in our company’s efforts to realize the full potential of this incredible wellspring of creative properties,” said Meyer. “Diane knows our studio as a creative executive, a marketer and a senior manager, and this varied background will help her effectively and creatively integrate the DC brand and properties across all our businesses. We’re also thrilled that Paul will remain involved with DC and we’ll be able to tap his expertise to help us reach our goals for this new business.”

“It’s no secret that DC has myriad rich and untapped possibilities from its deep library of iconic and lesser-known characters,” said Horn. “While we’ve had great success in films and television, the formation of DC Entertainment will help us to bring more DC properties across additional platforms to fans around the world, while maintaining brand integrity and authenticity. Diane is a terrific choice to lead DC Entertainment, and with Paul in his new role as a valued consultant and contributing editor, both our company and comic fans win.”

So he is back into Legion??? That would be the best news since Geoff has left the franchise!

[ September 10, 2009, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe this is why Geoff Johns is leaving Adventure Comics after only 6 issues.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
And IT IS CONFIRMED:

quote:
Dear Friends,

Thank you for your efforts, your support, and your contributions to DC Comics over the long years that I’ve had the honor of serving as part of DC’s leadership team. Together, our staff, creative contributors, readers, retailers and business partners have helped bring us to the beginning of what looks to be a new golden age for comics in the United States, and one that will bring more respect for the talent and the medium.

It will come as no surprise to anyone who’s heard me answer a comic convention request, “When are you going to do more Legion stories?” that I’m going to step away from my executive desk in coming months to resume my writing career, in comics and hopefully other forms as well. One of the lessons I learned from my many great teachers, from Frank McCourt through Joe Orlando and Jenette Kahn, is that creative work is more enduring than executive acts, and I look forward to adding to the stories I’ve told. Expect to see my byline at DC, as it has appeared for almost 37 years, adding what I can to a mythology and company that has my enduring affection, and expect to see me around the world of comics, which I hope never to leave. I already hear Karen and Dan sharpening their blue pencils with glee, waiting for my first pages.

DC will remain in the hands of the people who have had ultimate responsibility for its success throughout the past two decades, the management team of Warner Bros., headed by Barry Meyer and Alan Horn. They have encouraged our growth as a creative enterprise, and I have confidence that the people they will select to join the DC team, beginning with Diane Nelson, will do their best to make DC a success. While that transition process is taking place, I’ll continue to run DC until the baton can be carefully passed, and afterwards will have a role in which I can provide my advice and help.

On a personal note, I deeply appreciate the warmth and friendship I have found in these halls since my first visit, as a 13 year old comics fan. The relationships I have made here, including one that began in a DC circulation meeting and developed into the first DC marriage in four decades (thereby rebooting a grand tradition?), have been and will remain central to my life.

And now, if you forgive me, the future is calling.

Now I have faith in DC again... hehehe
From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardo:
So he is back into Legion??? That would be the best news since Geoff has left the franchise! [/QB]

I'm glad to see you're happy about the person who called the weekend he read the 5YG the worst weekend of his life spent outside of a hospital, returning to the book.

I'm mixed over it...despiute sharing some of his opinions on various Legions.

On the one hand Levitz wrote arguably the greatest Legion story ever....on the other hand by the time he was done writing the Legion(due to editorial policy as much as anything he did) there wasn't must left to write about...

It seems kind of opportunistic if he's back to write just as the Legion has returned to more or less it's most iconic interpretation...

I'm sure Mark Waid, DnA, Shooter, Gail Simone, Tom and Mary Bierbaum and even Keith Giffen would have liked the opportunity to write that Legion as well.

There's no doubt in my mind Paul Levitz is a very smart man...if he returns to writing(and I have a hunch he'll have Keith Giffen in tow if he does) he'll have coincidentally bypassed all the Legions that had a much tougher hill to climb to success.

Then again...I know he wasn't behind the decision to screw up the continuity, but I have problems with the direction he took the book beyond the problems created by the Crisis, mainly that it was an extremely depressing read at times.

[ September 09, 2009, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: Superboy ]

Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
]Now I have faith in DC again... hehehe [/QB]

What do you think the odds are that he's going to get Giffen to do the art?
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

quote:
Originally posted by Superboy:
quote:
]Now I have faith in DC again... hehehe

What do you think the odds are that he's going to get Giffen to do the art? [/QB]
I think Giffen might be around for some fun, but I doubt Giffen will get back to be a monthly artist at this point, being tied up in 2 books and a third project with J.M. deMatteis (unnanounced). However, we don't know whether Levitz will get the monthly or simply do that Graphic Novel he was supposed to do with Giffen.

And Levitz never let me down on Legion or JSA, so I am very pleased. I don't care if he didn't like 5YG as much as I did - fact is he is a very competent writers and probably one of the 5 people who really understands what makes a Legion book (the other ones are Waid, Giffen, Shooter and Busiek).

Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

So there you are, from Dan Didio at DC THE SOURCE:

quote:
You may have heard that Paul Levitz will be once again adding his considerable talent, drive and creativity to our ever expanding universe as a regular DC Comics writer.

So, what’s his first writing assignment?

Paul is returning to the title he made great as both a writer and editor, ADVENTURE COMICS, and with his eyes set to the future, he brings several of his favorite characters with him. ADVENTURE is the first in a number of projects, both ongoing and mini-series that Paul will be taking on as he joins of our list of top notch creators here at DC.

As Executive Editor, and as a fan, I can’t wait for him to get started.

-Dan DiDio

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
This is the best news I've heard in a LOONNGG time.

No one showed more respect for the Legion and it's past than Paul. This is the one thing I think has been missing from every incarnation of the Legion since the Superboy-fiasco. Especially from this latest retro-boot.

I'm finally very happy! [Smile]

I also hope that this means that the Legion will take over the book and Kon will become the back up.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
This is Great for the LEGION.

Sucks for DC.

I foresee even more culling of DC books from my buy pile.

In the last few years, independents that had never been on my radar are starting to make significant inroads into my purchases, and edging out DC. They cancel a book, and don't have anything good to replace it with, and I just buy from an independent now.

Woo HOooooooooo! Now we can get a bright shiney happy lobo. Death, don't look like a goth chick from Gaiman. Thats depressing. Focus groups say that turning Starfire into a manga cat girl will drive up sales. We gots to luv us some demographic based heros.

Yee frickin' Ha.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

quote:
I think Giffen might be around for some fun, but I doubt Giffen will get back to be a monthly artist at this point, being tied up in 2 books and a third project with J.M. deMatteis (unnanounced).

Hmmm...he's tied up in a project with JM DeMatteis beyond the Metal Men storyline? I hadn't heard about that...

Interesting enough, JM DeMatteis was one of the writers on the Legion cartoon.

Giffen has said he'd like one more shot at the book...I personally think he and Levitz are better as a team on the Legion than they are separate.

quote:

However, we don't know whether Levitz will get the monthly or simply do that Graphic Novel he was supposed to do with Giffen.

I don't have a doubt that Levitz is going to carry on some of the things Johns has set up...in Adventure.

I know he's a Superboy fan, but not the Kon-el Superboy, so if he's taking over Adventure to me that means the Legion is definitely about to jump to the forefront of that title.

quote:

And Levitz never let me down on Legion or JSA, so I am very pleased. I don't care if he didn't like 5YG as much as I did - fact is he is a very competent writers and probably one of the 5 people who really understands what makes a Legion book (the other ones are Waid, Giffen, Shooter and Busiek).

And interestingly enough all those writers have now written cancelled or outdated versions of the Legion....

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited about Levitz return..at the same time, I'd also be lying if I said I had blind faith that it's nothing but blue skies from here on out.

Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:

I also hope that this means that the Legion will take over the book and Kon will become the back up.

I definitely don't think Paul is picking up Adventure just so he can write Kon-El...he's doing it to write the Legion. I don't have a doubt in my mind about that.

It's pretty interesting, because this Legion is more or less at the point where the Crisis started to impact Levitz direction on the book..in the original continuity.

What I'm interested in seeing is if the direction he goes now will in any way resemble the direction he took the book originally.

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
quote:

What do you think the odds are that he's going to get Giffen to do the art? [/QB]
The Legion had many great artists. I don't think that Legion specifically needs the Levitz/Giffen team. I liked Giffen's early Legion work, but his later Legion work left me feeling blah towards his artwork. But I am excited to see Paul Levitz writing the Legion again.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

The first thing that comes to my mind...

We're definitely going to find out what the deal is with Brainiac 5 and Supergirl now...that was an important relationship to Levitz and not one he would ever overlook or just cast aside.

I kind of wish he'd stayed the publisher so he wouldn't get overruled by the Superman editors or DC Brass....

Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
quote:
quote:

What do you think the odds are that he's going to get Giffen to do the art?

The Legion had many great artists. I don't think that Legion specifically needs the Levitz/Giffen team. I liked Giffen's early Legion work, but his later Legion work left me feeling blah towards his artwork. But I am excited to see Paul Levitz writing the Legion again. [/QB]
Yah, Giffen's artwork has never been the same since early in his original run...but Giffen is a very creative writer and he does humor well. I always figured he could return to his original style anytime he wants...he just doesn't want to.

Giffen is still a fantastic layout artist though and has never stopped being one, even as his style changed...no one draws fight scenes like Keith Giffen.

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
We're definitely going to find out what the deal is with Brainiac 5 and Supergirl now...that was an important relationship to Levitz and not one he would ever overlook or just cast aside.

Yeah, if nothing else, we can probably at least count on Levitz to come up with a definitive and coherent continuity for the current team.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  13  14  15   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.