Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Levitz back to writing Legion, leaving DC presidency? (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Levitz back to writing Legion, leaving DC presidency?
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Matthew E:
It's been a tumultuous time recently, hasn't it? I know it isn't as simple as this, but from my point of view it seems like it worked out this way:

Disney buys Marvel. Therefore Paul Levitz is back on the Legion.

From what I'm reading over at Newsarama regarding the restructuring of TimeWarner and DC in response to Disney buying Marvel...it may indeed be just as simple as that.
Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
They say it was in the works for over two years. If so, this probably hastened it is all. 'course, that could just be corporate spin.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm really rooting for Paul to succeed in his return. I honestly thought that Johns was gearing up to relaunch the book when his schedule freed up some, though. My main worry is that Paul's been on the editorial side for so long, that he may be too out of touch writing. I know he did some work on JSA a few years back, but I haven't read those issues.

Anyone read that story with Jim Lee? How was it?

In any case I feel Paul did more for the Legion as a writer than any other writer in its history, and I know he has the passion for them that we want. If not Geoff Johns, I can't think of any other writer I'd rather take on our Legion--especially the current version.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewNolan
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AndrewNolan   Email AndrewNolan         Edit/Delete Post     
This is great news! I look forward to Paul Levitz writing the Legion again!
From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I hate to be pessimistic but I kinda think this could be a bad move by Levitz.

Right now he's considered one of, if not the best writers the Legion's ever had, writing the team when they were at their best-selling best and being responsible for their most famous and well-loved story. Where else is there to go from there but down?

I'm a firm believer in the old adage that "you can't go home again" and I think Levitz might be attempting to do just that here.

Don't get me wrong - I'm sure he's capable of giving us great stories and great characterisation, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what he brings us, I just can't help but think that people are always going to be comparing this era of the Levitz-Legion to the previous era of the Levitz-Legion... and guess which one will come out on top.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
That's a fair comment, I think. I do look forward to it, I do want it to succeed, but DC has a history of people returning to great books and not doing well.

then again, look at Geoff and Flash, or the JSA. Lots of people didn't like either return, but even more did like it.

So, it could go either way. Hoping for the best, it couldn't get any worse than Legion #50 of the last run.

Well, unless Didio pops up again and starts monkeying around.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Para-Dox
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Para-Dox   Author's Homepage   Email Para-Dox         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Superboy:
The first thing that comes to my mind...

We're definitely going to find out what the deal is with Brainiac 5 and Supergirl now...that was an important relationship to Levitz and not one he would ever overlook or just cast aside.

That is what I'm excited about. He was famously reluctant to let kara go and now she's back. If anyone is going to put that right its Levitz. I wouldn't mind at all if we saw an older Supergirl appear in Legion while the younger one was in the monthly.

--------------------
'You don't need a victory to prove to me you're tops' - Supergirl to Brainiac 5 (Adventure Comics 375)

benevolentbrainiac.webs.com

From: England | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Don't DO IT Paul,

We're message boarders.

We'll eat you ALiiiivvvve.....

It's like,..

our job you know.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shanealt
Don't hurt me.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shanealt   Author's Homepage   Email shanealt         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Superboy:
quote:
Originally posted by Matthew E:
It's been a tumultuous time recently, hasn't it? I know it isn't as simple as this, but from my point of view it seems like it worked out this way:

Disney buys Marvel. Therefore Paul Levitz is back on the Legion.

From what I'm reading over at Newsarama regarding the restructuring of TimeWarner and DC in response to Disney buying Marvel...it may indeed be just as simple as that.
This sort of thing would be impossible to set up in...what, a week and a half? This is a huge deal, involving the hiring of many people and, well, a complete restructure of the division. There's no way that it's in response to Disney buying Marvel.
Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Academy Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lone Wolf Legionnaire   Email Lone Wolf Legionnaire         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow,I just asked this question over at newsarama on Aug 12th 2009,in 20 questions with Dan DiDio.

wildwolfkid says.

Hi Dan,just want to say congrats on getting The T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents,one of my favorite Silver Age teams along with The Doom Patrol and especially The Legion of Super-Heroes,though The Bronze Age Legion is my favorite era.

I have two questions.

1.Is DC looking to purchase or lease anymore defunt comic book companies or creators characters,such as The Futurions or Atlas/Seaboard etc...

2.Any chance of luring Paul Levitz out of retirement to write or co-write The classic Legion of Super-Heroes in their very own monthly title.

My question didn't get picked,but it might come true,which is better.

--------------------
I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.

From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Tim Drake
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Tim Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Tim Drake         Edit/Delete Post     
Woo-hoo! Now maybe I'll be able to buy DC comics again.

--------------------
Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake

From: Providence, RI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:
I'm a firm believer in the old adage that "you can't go home again" and I think Levitz might be attempting to do just that here.

With the horrorshow that has been Claremont's 'X-Men Forever,' I'm also in the 'fingers crossed' camp, hoping that Levitz isn't trying to relive glory days and has something new and exciting up his sleeves.

As for the art, pretty much anyone who can make the characters crisp and distinctive. I don't care if they 'pull a Byrne' and skimp on background in four out of five panels. I understand that not everybody can be George Perez, and fill every panel with incredibly detailed fractured ground and whatnot (and Lo3W proved that even George Perez can't live up to the standards of his past, these days).

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't want to get my hopes up too high either, but I feel like the sun just came out.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewNolan
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AndrewNolan   Email AndrewNolan         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:
I hate to be pessimistic but I kinda think this could be a bad move by Levitz.

Right now he's considered one of, if not the best writers the Legion's ever had, writing the team when they were at their best-selling best and being responsible for their most famous and well-loved story. Where else is there to go from there but down?

Don't get me wrong - I'm sure he's capable of giving us great stories and great characterisation, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what he brings us, I just can't help but think that people are always going to be comparing this era of the Levitz-Legion to the previous era of the Levitz-Legion... and guess which one will come out on top.

Just a reminder that the Great Darkness Era/Baxter Era was Paul's second attempt at writing the Legion. Most people would agree (myself included) that this was a memorable era for the Legion.

Nonetheless, you have a valid point. I was excited to learn that Jim Shooter was returning to the Legion and we all know how that concluded.

I remain optimistic though!

From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephbarton
Possibly an evil Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephbarton   Email stephbarton         Edit/Delete Post     
Exciting news but I approach it with a little trepidation, as most writers have failed to return to properties where they have had great runs. I also worry about how his writing skills have held up, I read the JSA story that he did awhile back, and although I don't think it was as bad as many people say, it wasn't great either, it was just there (of course the timing was bad, it was the end of the series and was essentially a fill in).

Anyways, if Levitz is coming back because he has more stories to tell with the Legion then I think it will be great, but it's obvious that by the end of the Baxter series he had run out of stories to tell, and who knows if he has come up with a new run's worth since then.

But still, pretty exciting news.

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!

Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  13  14  15   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.