Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Levitz back to writing Legion, leaving DC presidency? (Page 15)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Levitz back to writing Legion, leaving DC presidency?
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
To tell the truth I don't want to see a homeworld destroyed. Why? Because we've seen it happen plenty of times already, both in LSH and elsewhere, and it's almost always done for shock value at the cost of damaging the series in the long term. It's sort of like killing off a character.

We've learned our lesson from the excesses of the Dark Age of Comics (or whatever you want to call comics post-1986). Heck, we've learned our lesson from the TMK era. Haven't we?

Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I have yet to see anyone who seems excited about the "destroying a world" idea.

Honestly, other than the fact it's Levitz writing, very little I've seen of the new Legion series gives me much cause to be excited.

Adventure, however, sounds pretty interesting.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korbal
The Lightning World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korbal   Email Korbal         Edit/Delete Post     
New Levitz interview on NEWSARAMA with two pages from LEGION #1

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/levitz-legion-superheroes-100513.html

--------------------
"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63

Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

And those two pages do absolutely nothing to increase my interest.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
I wasn't thrilled with the pages either, since they had no Legionness about them. But, if a bunch of GL fans buy the book, it's a small price to pay. The tricky thing is doing a future of the GLC that isn't invalidated next month in the GL/Brightest Day books. I would expect Paul to be up to that challenge, but it's not entirely up to him.

I AM somewhat intrigued by the idea of Earth Man being forced to join. The Legion has always benefited, in the past, from new/rebel member type stories. Ultra Boy, Karate Kid, Timber Wolf, Wildfire, Dawnstar, Tyroc, Invisible Kid (Jacques) all had arcs like this, and it's a natural way to teach new readers about the Legion (as new companions do for Dr. Who). As long as it isn't dragged out ad nauseam and ad absurdum and ad annoyum, I think it should be fun.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
Two other things (now that I think about them). Paul clearly LIKES the lore of the Corps (sorry) -- namely, the story of Krona bringing evil into the universe as the impetus for the Guardians and the GLC (remember his flashback "why the GLC is banned from earth" story?) I think that mythology is cool, too, and sadly overshadowed (or worse) by that Blackest Night...stuff. So, if Paul has a fun way to weave that GL mythology into something organic and meaningful for the Legion, I'm happy to give him the chance to show it.

Second, Yildiray's art is awesome, at least what I've seen of it at C2E2 and in previews. His Legionnaires have an individuality, vitality and emotion that we haven't seen for a LONG time. I love Barry Kitson, but I think Yildiray's art has more emotion and dynamism to it, which I think is essential to get people interested in the book. Otherwise the Legion ends up as a complicated and boring costume drama, Masterpiece Theater in space.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HamzHutch
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HamzHutch           Edit/Delete Post     
yea...more GL stuff. Are any Legionnaires even going to appear in the first issue?
From: LaPorte Indiana | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HamzHutch
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HamzHutch           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by doublechinner:
Second, Yildiray's art is awesome, at least what I've seen of it at C2E2 and in previews. His Legionnaires have an individuality, vitality and emotion that we haven't seen for a LONG time.

I absolutely agree. His art is fantastic. I met him at C2E2 and he is also I very nice guy [Smile]
From: LaPorte Indiana | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

quote:

I AM somewhat intrigued by the idea of Earth Man being forced to join. The Legion has always benefited, in the past, from new/rebel member type stories. Ultra Boy, Karate Kid, Timber Wolf, Wildfire, Dawnstar, Tyroc, Invisible Kid (Jacques) all had arcs like this, and it's a natural way to teach new readers about the Legion (as new companions do for Dr. Who). As long as it isn't dragged out ad nauseam and ad absurdum and ad annoyum, I think it should be fun.

I'm all for new members. But none of the folks you mention were murderers/torturers before joining the team. Even Blok, the one "super-villain" to have joined the team, was a pretty gentle villain.
doublechinner
Active

Oh, I agree, I think Earth Man's behavior has been reprehensible. That's why I'm all the more intrigued to see what happens. What's so serious that Earthgov or the UP would insist on the Legion taking in such a scoundrel?

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm willing to give Paul a chance to see how this works. I don't think he'd be willing to let a murderer be forgiven in the larger scheme of things, and can provide a dynamic story with Earth Man.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mediocre Boy
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mediocre Boy   Email Mediocre Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Two other things (now that I think about them). Paul clearly LIKES the lore of the Corps (sorry) -- namely, the story of Krona bringing evil into the universe as the impetus for the Guardians and the GLC (remember his flashback "why the GLC is banned from earth" story?) I think that mythology is cool, too, and sadly overshadowed (or worse) by that Blackest Night...stuff. So, if Paul has a fun way to weave that GL mythology into something organic and meaningful for the Legion, I'm happy to give him the chance to show it.

Second, Yildiray's art is awesome, at least what I've seen of it at C2E2 and in previews. His Legionnaires have an individuality, vitality and emotion that we haven't seen for a LONG time. I love Barry Kitson, but I think Yildiray's art has more emotion and dynamism to it, which I think is essential to get people interested in the book. Otherwise the Legion ends up as a complicated and boring costume drama, Masterpiece Theater in space.

Agreed.

--------------------
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Okay, so the meek[s] shall inherit inherit the Earth, but what about the geeks? I still want Baffin Island--polar bears and all! :)

From: Brampton, Canada | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.