Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Levitz back to writing Legion, leaving DC presidency? (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Levitz back to writing Legion, leaving DC presidency?
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Matthew E:
I wonder if Adventure is still going to have a backup story. If so, maybe Superboy II is a good candidate to fill that slot. I mean, he's not my favourite character but I certainly don't begrudge him or his fans a regular showcase for him.

My guess from the interview? Didio will drop Conner and he will move to Titans. It's pretty clear Superboy is not going to stick there. At the same time, he ALSO mentions other space teams (with Animal Man) and THAT may say a bit about the direction of Adventure Comics: a more space-oriented book. I am glad if that happens.

And I wouldn't completely blame Dan DiDio on this: it's pretty clear that Johns is gradually gettting more work from the entertainment side of Warner and that means less time to write comic books. He has quit Superman books, he left Booster, and will pretty much stay with GL, Flash and one crossover here and there.

From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korbal
The Lightning World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korbal   Email Korbal         Edit/Delete Post     
Paul Levitz is the definitive Legion scripter, however, his (self-professed) greatest weakness--inventing original adversaries for the Legion to battle--is something ADVENTURE COMICS will desperately need in the near future...

--------------------
"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63

Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't know.

There are so many 'old' villians running around that we haven't seen in a long time, maybe he doesn't need to be too inventive.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
The Mysa/Mordru story, the Fatal Five (originals back Yay!), Universo and the LSV without Prime would keep us going for a fair few issues and for new(ish) readers would be new and exciting. But some original bad guys are needed in the long run.

I wouldn't be too upset if a Tamaranian or Thanagarian for example showed up, and the status of Daxam needs exploring.

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh come on, where is Dr. Morlo? Such untapped potential... How about the Brain-Globes? I bet the ALL-NEW KILLING-MACHINE Brain-Globes of Rambat would double sales of Adventure Comics.
From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
No, I'm with Korbal. Let's see something new!

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I think I'd love it if Aquaman got the second feature spot in this title!

1. Because Aquaman's time in the original Adventure Comics is one of my favourite comic runs of any character ever!

2. Because the DCU NEEDS Aquaman to come back and since he might not be able to support his own ongoing just yet a back-up role might be good for him.

and

3. Between the rabid Aquaman fans and the rabid Legion fans this book could become a force to reckon with!

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

quote:

Well, Shooter tried that... and people seeemed to prefer that Superboy hack from Johns.
Me? Shooter's, anytime.

doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't know. I used to want things COMPLETELY new, but I now tend to worry that without some Legion connection they feel grafted on, artificial, competing with the Legion for incredibly scarce panels. I guess I might advocate new villains/adversaries that help illuminate the Legion characters themselves. For example, space pirates & Element Lad, gangs/organized Crime and Ultra Boy, sports corruption and Cosmic Boy, a corrupt/failing monarch and Projectra, etc.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Director Lad
aka Sudro Brown II

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Director Lad   Email Director Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Para-Dox:

To Director Lad: Supergirl is outselling Wonder Woman currently. If they cancel her and Keep wondie going I will cause hell. DC's character favouritism with the trinity rubs me the wrong way as it is but hell hath no fury like a supergirl fan scorned. (of course by supergirl I mean Kara Zor-El but I don't acknowledge the numerous subsequent imposters)

Actually, I was making a joke based on the fact that Supergirl replaced the Legion in Adventure after their original run ended.

Just as a side note, DC will always have a Wonder Woman book in publication. If they don't keep a WW title on the stands, the rights to the character revert to the creator's family. After thre Superboy debacle, I think they'll be extra cautious about that in the future.

From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardo:
quote:

Well, Shooter tried that... and people seeemed to prefer that Superboy hack from Johns.
Me? Shooter's, anytime.

I liked the new aspects of what Shooter was doing. However, I didn't like the dialogue, many of the characterizations, the extended storyline...

doublechinner: Well, there'll be a Legion connection if they appear in a Legion story, won't there?

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
If Paul has an interesting story to tell about an existing villain then, why not? In fact, many Legion Villains haven't been used in a long time. I'd like to see them again as much as I'd like to read about the Pre-Crisis Legionnaires.

The distinction for me is for the story to build upon the existing stories. No reboots or re-imaginings of which Johns "Pre-Crisis" Legion has been nothing but. Tell me a story that doesn't contradict what's already established (you don't even have to reference anything), just keep the momentum going.

The Miracle Machine's return in FINAL CRISIS didn't work because it was presented as something new and never before seen. It could have and should have been a continuation of it's story. Same goes for everything else.

We've been inundated with "NEW!" that's really "RE-IMAGED!" Let's see new that's really new AND let's see new stories about what already exists...Legionnaires, Villains, Worlds, etc.

And pick a demarcation line and go from there. Don't contradict (unless there is an actual story behind the change and not the whim or laziness of the writer) and move forward.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Candle:
I don't know.

There are so many 'old' villians running around that we haven't seen in a long time, maybe he doesn't need to be too inventive.

Agreed... Exhibit A: Absorbancy Boy as Earth Man. Abs. Boy had immense potential as a powers-absorber, Johns realized that and ran with it.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Yes, I don't mind 'reimaginings'.
They could also be called 'updatings'.

Science, especially, has come so far in the last 50 years that concepts for heroes and villians that happened in the 60's and 70's are kind of lame by today's standards and rethought possibilities.

But, I also agree with Nightcrawler, connect, say, Absorbancy Boy to Earth Man (which isn't that much of an improvement in name, really.)
The one grew into the other.

The Taurus Gang maybe a little silly if you lift them directly from the past, as is, but if you think of them as naturally progressing to become something more in tune with today's grasp of powers and possibilities, they could be great.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
If Paul has an interesting story to tell about an existing villain then, why not? In fact, many Legion Villains haven't been used in a long time. I'd like to see them again as much as I'd like to read about the Pre-Crisis Legionnaires.

The distinction for me is for the story to build upon the existing stories. No reboots or re-imaginings of which Johns "Pre-Crisis" Legion has been nothing but. Tell me a story that doesn't contradict what's already established (you don't even have to reference anything), just keep the momentum going.

The Miracle Machine's return in FINAL CRISIS didn't work because it was presented as something new and never before seen. It could have and should have been a continuation of it's story. Same goes for everything else.

We've been inundated with "NEW!" that's really "RE-IMAGED!" Let's see new that's really new AND let's see new stories about what already exists...Legionnaires, Villains, Worlds, etc.

And pick a demarcation line and go from there. Don't contradict (unless there is an actual story behind the change and not the whim or laziness of the writer) and move forward.

What he said...

--------------------
"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  13  14  15   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.