Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Levitz back to writing Legion, leaving DC presidency? (Page 7)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Levitz back to writing Legion, leaving DC presidency?
Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Academy Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lone Wolf Legionnaire   Email Lone Wolf Legionnaire         Edit/Delete Post     
There are alot of Kon-el fans talking smack about the Legion,in this newsarama post question section,Legion World needs to go over there and let their presence be felt and defend their beloved Legion!

--------------------
I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.

From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Link

Saw it. I'm trying to log in but it won't let me.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Academy Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lone Wolf Legionnaire   Email Lone Wolf Legionnaire         Edit/Delete Post     
Here's my not so nice comment on newsarama.

I could not be happier about the Legion taking over Adventure Comics,as I was skipping over the Kon-el pages anyway,I never liked the character to begin with,as the only Superboy for me is Kal-el,Long Live The Legion and Long Live The Levitz!

--------------------
I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.

From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
I feel bad for those Superboy fans. And we know EXACTLY how they feel, don't we?

DiDio seems incapable of effective long range planning, doesn't he? Or he's crappy at explaining WHY plans change, or both. Who thought anyone BESIDES Johns would be writing the Flash? Especially after the disasters of Bart-Flash and Waid's aborted run? So, if you KNOW you want Johns to do that, why start something with Superboy that he can't finish? Or, at least space things out so Johns can tell the "Superboy Returns" story he wants and then let Adventure move on to something else? Wasn't it SUPPOSED to be Legion in the beginning, then for some reason became Superboy? Why was that? Did Johns decide he wanted to tell a Superboy story first? Again, if that's the case, why not just SAY so?!!?!?! It all smacks of the Pee Wee Herman "I meant to do that" post-hoc rationalization. The announcement last week about how awesome it was that Johns & Manapul were dropping Superboy right out of the starting gate is the worst sort of example of that behavior.

Now, another possibility I've toyed with: What if Levitz INSISTED on the Legion as a condition for going quietly out of the president/publisher's seat? Maybe he feels like he has to save the property and this was his last best chance to do it? Diane What's her name gets DiDio on the phone and says "you have to give Paul a whole book for his Legion of Super-Whosits. Now!"

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I kind of liked Conner better paired up with the Young Justice / Teen Titans crew, rather than read the continuing non-adventures of Conner in Smallville, which, while a nice bit of character study, felt like filler.

He plays better off of other characters, and is very much not a solo act, IMO.

I'm not thrilled with this particular changeover tactic, as it sounds like a built-in excuse for canceling Adventure when numbers drop after the Superboy fans move on, but, like many Legion fans, I'm just the dog who'se cringing in anticipation of the next kick.

As always, I'll take whatever Legion I can get, as long as they'll give it to me.

A stronger focus on a Levitz Adventure / Legion definitely sounds like it will lead to an abandonment of the reboot and threeboot teams, for now. I'm ambivalent on that. I guess I'd rather see one Legion (any of them, really) done well, than scattershot attempts at doing stories about all three. So this could be a bit of good news, for fans of one Legion in particular.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
As messed up as the logic and planning obviously are, I'm okay with the result. Conner gets a nice six issue reintroduction to the DC Universe, and the Legion is back in the lead on Adventure Comics.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I my mind, Paul Levitz is to the Legion what Wolfman and Perez are to the Titans: even on his worst day, no one has done them better. Maybe the Legion can finally make it's way back to being one of DC's flagship titles.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Director Lad
aka Sudro Brown II

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Director Lad   Email Director Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Silver Age Lad:
We're going to see Conner's, probably, gradual leave from that book.

Ha! We've done it again! For the third time in comics history (and the second in a title called Adventure) the Legion has pushed Superboy out of a book! Now we just have to watch out for Supergirl and hope her book doesn't get canceled...

I'm cautiously optimistic about Levitz's return to the Legion. As many here have pointed out, his was the definitive run on the book and, for me, was when I really loved the team. As much as I've ultimately enjoyed most other incarnations of the Legion, none has been "my" Legion like Paul's Legion. If he can bring the depth of character and subtlety of story back to the book that he had in the period of a couple of years before 300 through a couple of years after (with stories like the Legionnaires stranded on the asteroid, the Great Darkness Saga, 300 itself, Violet's story, and the Cosmic Boy spotlight) we're in for a treat. But, if we get the Paul Levitz that wrote the Fatal Five story featuring Mentalla? I do hope it's the former. After all, he's had 20 years to think up new stories. I'm certainly willing to give him the chance to wow me.

As for Gif, I'll take him as co-plotter, artist, or any combination of the two. I've liked pretty much everything Keith has done visually with the Legion in his time with them and I think the team was really hot, story-wise, when Keith and Paul were collaborating.

[ September 15, 2009, 01:25 AM: Message edited by: Director Lad ]

From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
Ask Val how he feels about that... [Karate Kid]

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
The New Wanderers.
It was a heartening idea for me, for awhile.

I just so hate to loose some of those characters.
sigh

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not sure how Superboy can gradually leave. He's either there or not.

I hope that once the Legion becomes the main feature/only feature that the #1/2/3 numbering is dropped and the ongoing series is #509 onwards.

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
I wonder if Adventure is still going to have a backup story. If so, maybe Superboy II is a good candidate to fill that slot. I mean, he's not my favourite character but I certainly don't begrudge him or his fans a regular showcase for him.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Para-Dox
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Para-Dox   Author's Homepage   Email Para-Dox         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Matthew E:
I wonder if Adventure is still going to have a backup story. If so, maybe Superboy II is a good candidate to fill that slot. I mean, he's not my favourite character but I certainly don't begrudge him or his fans a regular showcase for him.

while it would be a great idea to team them up with someone like aquaman following Blackest Night I would prefer a 'tales of the legion of super-heroes' back up to iron out some continuity issues.

To Director Lad: Supergirl is outselling Wonder Woman currently. If they cancel her and Keep wondie going I will cause hell. DC's character favouritism with the trinity rubs me the wrong way as it is but hell hath no fury like a supergirl fan scorned. (of course by supergirl I mean Kara Zor-El but I don't acknowledge the numerous subsequent imposters)

--------------------
'You don't need a victory to prove to me you're tops' - Supergirl to Brainiac 5 (Adventure Comics 375)

benevolentbrainiac.webs.com

From: England | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm thrilled that the Legion are taking over Adventure Comics!!
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Para-Dox:
I would prefer a 'tales of the legion of super-heroes' back up to iron out some continuity issues.

I, for one, don't care if I never see another story written to iron out a continuity issue.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  13  14  15   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.