Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Levitz back to writing Legion, leaving DC presidency? (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Levitz back to writing Legion, leaving DC presidency?
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Yes to Giffen co-plotting the legion.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! to his drawing the legion in his "new" style.

Freakin' hated it then....hate it more now.

DC..who ever you put on this book....look at the heyday years. Please.

The art was crisp. Clear. Bright. Befitting a future where there was hope and joy, not the grim, gritty era of so depressing it made me wanna put a bullet through the book.

LEARN FROM YOUR PAST SCREWUPS!

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Superboy:
quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardo:
]Now I have faith in DC again... hehehe

What do you think the odds are that he's going to get Giffen to do the art?

The Legion had many great artists. I don't think that Legion specifically needs the Levitz/Giffen team. I liked Giffen's early Legion work, but his later Legion work left me feeling blah towards his artwork. But I am excited to see Paul Levitz writing the Legion again.

Yah, Giffen's artwork has never been the same since early in his original run...but Giffen is a very creative writer and he does humor well. I always figured he could return to his original style anytime he wants...he just doesn't want to.

Giffen is still a fantastic layout artist though and has never stopped being one, even as his style changed...no one draws fight scenes like Keith Giffen. [/QB]

Giffen is probably one of the best storyteller around. He knows how to pace and breakdown a story like very few others. And I like how much he takes risks with his artwork - that's why I liked all his styles throughout the years. But my favorite was his early 5YG run, just the right mix of futurism and Kirbyness.
But I bet on a Legion GN with Levitz finally coming out.

From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe Manapul will be staying on? Seems unlikely, I suppose, since Francis has already been there and done that.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, an overly impressionistic style in a book with 25+ characters isn't exactly the best match...

You gotta be able to tell who the characters are.

So who is the artist?

Does Clayton Henry continue?

Not to dimish Mr. Henry, whose art I like, and who does have a very clean style, but drawing the Legion is an equally tough drawing assignment and if they take over Adventure there's no guarantees he can handle that workload...that's been the problem with a lot of great Legion artists.

Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by LardLad:
Maybe Manapul will be staying on? Seems unlikely, I suppose, since Francis has already been there and done that.

Lardy, he's going to the Flash with Johns and his last issue will be Adventure #6.
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe they will get Ivan Reis? He's used to drawing umpteen million characters in one book. Look at what he did for GL.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Yeah, an overly impressionistic style in a book with 25+ characters isn't exactly the best match...

You gotta be able to tell who the characters are.

Which is why 5YG was never my favorite era. And it is the one time I stopped reading Legion.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
quote:
quote:
]Now I have faith in DC again... hehehe

What do you think the odds are that he's going to get Giffen to do the art?

The Legion had many great artists. I don't think that Legion specifically needs the Levitz/Giffen team. I liked Giffen's early Legion work, but his later Legion work left me feeling blah towards his artwork. But I am excited to see Paul Levitz writing the Legion again.

Yah, Giffen's artwork has never been the same since early in his original run...but Giffen is a very creative writer and he does humor well. I always figured he could return to his original style anytime he wants...he just doesn't want to.

Giffen is still a fantastic layout artist though and has never stopped being one, even as his style changed...no one draws fight scenes like Keith Giffen.

Giffen is probably one of the best storyteller around. He knows how to pace and breakdown a story like very few others. And I like how much he takes risks with his artwork - that's why I liked all his styles throughout the years. But my favorite was his early 5YG run, just the right mix of futurism and Kirbyness.
But I bet on a Legion GN with Levitz finally coming out. [/QB]

Well Giffen is a goodstoryteller, as I said he's a great layout artist, but that style makes it nearly impossible to tell which characters are which at times....I never had a clue Bounty was Dawnstar for instance...I think one fan in all of Legiondom figured that out at the time...and if the people who know Giffen's art and the characters are struggling with that, you can imagine how a great many fans that had never read the book before felt about it.

I would definitely welcome Giffen's return as a co-plotter and layout artists...not so much as the regular penciller.

He can do layouts faster than the Flash...he did the layouts for every issue of 52 and Countdown, weekly comics for 2 years straight...and that was while he was writing Annhilation for Marvel and doing some other projects as well.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by rickshaw1:
Maybe they will get Ivan Reis? He's used to drawing umpteen million characters in one book. Look at what he did for GL.

Yeah, I assumed Ivan was going to that Flash book with Geoff. Since that's not happening, maybe he can go to Adventure! Ivan is one of the very best artists in the biz right now, IMO.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

It would be insane if we could get Ivan Reiss...

I look at it though and the list of artitst that have said they would do the Legion again or like to work on it, is an impressive one.

#1. Mike Grell has said he'd do it again.

#2. Keith Giffen has said he'd do the Legion again.(he wasn't clear on writing or art though).

#3. Jim Lee has said he'd like to do the Legion(although he might have satisfied his urge after working with Levitz on that one story and he's not exactly great at meeting deadlines).

#4. Dan Jurgens has said he's always wanted to work on the Legion regularly and the only reason he's never done it regularly is because he was never asked to. Dan Jurgens is a Legion fan from way back as evidenced by his letters in old 70'
s Superboy lettercols...he's an extremely under-rated artist who is extremely fast, and can change his style within his style like few others, and he definitely has a classic clean style.

#5. Oliver Copiel has said he'd like to return to the Legion someday(I was hoping for he and JMS to get a stab at this Legion). He might be the one dirty artist who can pull off the Legion....he was my favorite artist of all the post Crisis Legion artists.

[ September 09, 2009, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: Superboy ]

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm excited. I have been a fan of Geoff's work...didn't love it but I liked it. But Levitz? Oh yeah!
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
So there you are, from Dan Didio at DC THE SOURCE:

quote:
You may have heard that Paul Levitz will be once again adding his considerable talent, drive and creativity to our ever expanding universe as a regular DC Comics writer.

So, what’s his first writing assignment?

Paul is returning to the title he made great as both a writer and editor, ADVENTURE COMICS, and with his eyes set to the future, he brings several of his favorite characters with him. ADVENTURE is the first in a number of projects, both ongoing and mini-series that Paul will be taking on as he joins of our list of top notch creators here at DC.

As Executive Editor, and as a fan, I can’t wait for him to get started.

-Dan DiDio

Of course when PL was on Adventure, it was Aquaman not the Legion. But the Legion is what made PL one of DC's mega stars.

I just hope this means a full Legion book not 32 pages of aquaman and a Legion back up.

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Silver Age Lad:
quote:
So there you are, from Dan Didio at DC THE SOURCE:

quote:
You may have heard that Paul Levitz will be once again adding his considerable talent, drive and creativity to our ever expanding universe as a regular DC Comics writer.

So, what’s his first writing assignment?

Paul is returning to the title he made great as both a writer and editor, ADVENTURE COMICS, and with his eyes set to the future, he brings several of his favorite characters with him. ADVENTURE is the first in a number of projects, both ongoing and mini-series that Paul will be taking on as he joins of our list of top notch creators here at DC.

As Executive Editor, and as a fan, I can’t wait for him to get started.

-Dan DiDio

Of course when PL was on Adventure, it was Aquaman not the Legion. But the Legion is what made PL one of DC's mega stars.

I just hope this means a full Legion book not 32 pages of aquaman and a Legion back up.

I think the quote "with his eyes set to the future" is pretty self-explanatory.
From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shanealt
Don't hurt me.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shanealt   Author's Homepage   Email shanealt         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, I'm not exactly jumping with joy over this. He wrote two of the best Legion runs ever, but Marv Wolfman enjoyed the same success with New Teen Titans, and Claremont enjoyed the same success with the Uncanny X-Men. Neither of their recent "returns" were anything spectacular, and all I've seen of Levitz's recent writing, while not bad, seemed...dated. Bland.

I'm of course going to read it--I buy all DC collections--but I'm not so sure that I feel a desperate need to buy this monthly anymore. Either way, while I could've seen Adventure Comics under Johns and Manapul as a top book for DC, I'm seeing it under Levitz as going to mid-range at best, and that disappoints me.

Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
It's been a tumultuous time recently, hasn't it? I know it isn't as simple as this, but from my point of view it seems like it worked out this way:

Disney buys Marvel. Therefore Paul Levitz is back on the Legion.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  13  14  15   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.