Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Levitz back to writing Legion, leaving DC presidency? (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Levitz back to writing Legion, leaving DC presidency?
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
we know already.
http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000561;p=1

please look at existing threads before starting new ones.

this thread is going to be deleted soon.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
i did look sorry didnt see it.

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
no worries. It is an exciting topic. but lately we have a rash of duplications, that only add work for Gary.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks Sean! (Combined)
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Well this was at least as unexpected as Infectious Lass appearing in TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED.

I refuse to go space-ape over it though. I already did that when it was announced that Shooter was returning.... and we all know how that ended up.

What would get me excited is the announcement that Giffen is going to co-plot or pencil or both. Yep... space-ape city.

If Levitz is to go it alone, though, I only hope he has paid attention to other writers' usage of characters he didn't care to use much. Otherwise I fear the usual suspects will get dumped right off the bat.

Fans of long-ignored or mishandled characters like Blok, Dawnstar, Wildfire, Timber Wolf and Element Lad should be rejoicing though.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Fans of long-ignored or mishandled characters like Blok, Dawnstar, Wildfire, Timber Wolf and Element Lad should be rejoicing though.

Ditto Dream Girl and (as far as mishandled goes) Lightning Lad and Star Boy/man
From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not the world's biggest Levitz fan to say the least, but ....

THANK GOD GEOFF JOHNS IS OFF THE LEGION!

And good, freakin' riddance to him.

I hope and pray Levitz ignores Johns' repulsive Legion of Super-Imposters and does his own thing. (First order of business -- chuck Johnsboot Schizoman into a black hole.) But if that thing of his smacks of old-school fogeyism, or reads as lackluster and lethargic as the last 4 or so years of the Baxter series, I'll be here ranting against *him* this time next year.

I wish Mr. Levitz luck, and I'm grateful to anyone and everyone responsible for riddng the Legion of Geoff Johns, but he's not getting a free pass. Levitz has to *prove* he can create something more tenable than a quaint exercise in moldy nostalgia before he gets my vote.

P.S. Paul, steer clear of Keith Giffen unless you have a mind to commit creative harakiri. Dredging up ugly memories of the TMKboot is the *last* thing you need right now.

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow. This brought Trom back!
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy2000
What a great year to be a fan of the Ever Lovin Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy2000   Author's Homepage   Email Superboy2000         Edit/Delete Post     
Has anyone ever thought that maybe Mr. Levitz will give us the untold story of the Legion's first meeting with Mordru??? There are still alot of untapped stories for him to WOW us with!!!

--------------------
The Legion is Back!!! All Three of Them....How Sprocking Magnificent!!!

From: Amarillo, Texas | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I think Superboy made a good point earlier in this thread about Levitz being a good technical writer. One of his strongest qualities is being able to guide a series in several ways many current writers cannot:

*keep story arcs at different lengths

*keep threats on various degrees of how dangerous they are - i.e., mega-galactic threat one issue vs. minor space-thief the next

*keep the pacing of the story moving forward so it remains exciting, while having it all flow evenl

*balance several subplots over a series of issues so there are the "long game" ones and the "short game" ones

*keep continuity tight while not focusing stories on the concept entirely

*have different characters interact with one another than previously.

All of these things keep a certain sense of the dynamic. They are also harder to recognize on a smaller 6-issue arc, but really bear fruition over a long multi-year run. Things like dialogue and tension might take him a few issues to get back up to speed on, but the overall mechanics are there I think.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow... been away for only a few days from this board, and now this...

Cool!

What does this mean for Adventure Comics? Will the Legion stay in the backup role? Does Superboy have a future in this book now that Johns is leaving? Will Levitz pick up the Retroboot Legion and go from there, or what?

Levitz back on the Legion seems to be good news. Here's hoping that he still has some stories left to tell - comebacks like these don't always work out well, as can be seen with Claremonts 21st century X-Men stories...

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
By the way: Does that mean that Dan Didio is praised away to become the new DC president (where he can't do that much damage)????

Uhm... well.

So in my eyes, Geoff Johns cleared up the status quo with L3W, and now Levitz can go from there. Seems a good transition as Johns doesn't have enough time on his hands anyway...

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
According to Dan DiDio on Newsarama here

1) Lost_Daughter wrote:
The Adventure Comics changeover. How did that happen? Was it planned? Will Legion be the stars? Will Levitz continue with Geoff's plans?

Dan DiDio: The change was in the works already before Paul stepped into the mix. And the change started at the moment we decided Francis was going to be the artist on The Flash.

What we're planning to do with The Flash ongoing series, we needed to get Francis and Geoff off the Adventure Comics series so they could concentrate on The Flash ongoing.

So we knew we had a change there. We just weren't sure exactly where and when. And we were going back and forth on which issue it was because Geoff had a really wonderful Superboy story that he wanted to tell that, unfortunately, will have to be pushed to a later date.

But my goal now is to get those guys going on Flash as soon as possible. And then when all the changes started to occur, Paul was our only choice for the series. And to be quite frank with you, before even knowing everything that was taking place, Paul was the person we were thinking about approaching for the series as well, given his association with the Legion, given his association with Adventure Comics, and his love for the title, and his love for those characters. It only made sense for him to be the one to take this and move it to its next incarnation.

Newsarama: There's no doubt that when you think of Paul, you think of Legion of Super-Heroes. But there are Conner Kent fans out there that are wondering - what's going to happen to the Superboy piece of this comic?

DiDio: We're going to see Conner's, probably, gradual leave from that book. But that's not to say Conner won't be joining a team book soon, or appearing in another series of his own at some point.
Nrama: Then as a follow-up to that question, ds69 wrote:
Dan, you now have the GREATEST LSH writer back on the title, you must use an A-list artist. Who will it be?

DiDio: I don't have the artist chosen yet. We have several people in mind. What I really want to do is sit down with Paul to see what his direction, tone and feel is. And to work with him on selecting the proper artist. We want to make sure he's a part of the process as well, in choosing the artist for the book.

But because there are so many things going on now, that's a little on hold for the second. What Paul's been doing is actually getting up to speed on the Legion of Super-Heroes. He's just been going through all the work Geoff has done on the characters lately, as well as James Robinson. And he's looking to build on the foundation we have going right now.

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
[pictures Mr. Levitz at Fat Cramer's place, ordering half a dozen more double espressos and saying, "Just tell Dan I'll call him when I figure it out, okay? Gah. Lookit' this mess!"]

[Fat Cramer]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Oh my, this is DC at work again... they launch a book, and just about half a year into it, another cool idea for another book comes along... and that's all, "Good bye book number one, I have gotten the idea that my first plan was not so good anyway, we will be doing something different."

This is the exact way of chaotic planning that brought us Shooters Threeboot run, especially its abysmal ending (and three issues too soon).

Only this time, we're on the receiving end cause we suddenly - like an unexpected Christmas present at Easter - are getting our monthly Legion book back and it's the Superboy fans out there who have got enough reason to complain.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy to see Paul Levitz back on the Legion, especially with the current Retroboot roster. But hey... what kind of strategy is this? Maximum Chaos?

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  13  14  15   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.