Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Adventure Comics #8/511: Preview/Discussion (Spoilers!) (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Adventure Comics #8/511: Preview/Discussion (Spoilers!)
KryptonKid
Khyddae Kryptoneum

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KryptonKid   Author's Homepage   Email KryptonKid         Edit/Delete Post     
4. A romantic encounter with reboot Jeckie.

--------------------
~Integritas~

From: Bgtzl Proper | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bottle City of Kanga
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bottle City of Kanga   Author's Homepage   Email Bottle City of Kanga         Edit/Delete Post     
In general I thought the issue was OK for what it was - a set-up for everything else that's happening in the Superman titles.

Would agree stripping Element Lad looked a bit silly.

More importantly though I can't get over Sensor Girl's horrific new costume.

She looks like a drag version of Michael Myers from Halloween. It's actually disturbing.

More outrage here:
http://bottlecityofkanga.blogspot.com/2010/03/adventure-comics-8-sensor-girl-still.html

--------------------
http://bottlecityofkanga.blogspot.com/

Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
They are really keeping issue #9 a mystery aren't they??
There is no picture posted on the DC website solicits and to add to the mystery the info posted for #9 is exactly the same for #8 (which was a very cool issue by the way)!
I wonder what the final reveal will bring ... bet it's a bombshell though.

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Finally got this issue - it was OK.

It was fun seeing the 31st century group get in a bit of old-school scientist-saving and I also enjoyed seeing the (until-recently) very long-underused 21st century members have their story come to a head, but as someone else said - this was just a lot of talking heads and not much actual 'adventure'.

Fortunately I read the much-better Last Stand of New Krypton #1 and the excellent Superman #698 straight afterward so its dullness was lessened somewhat.

Adding my gripes to the pile -

* Sensor Girl's costume is hideous and I hate the name too. There is nothing I like about Jeckie as 'Sensor Girl' and now that the person under the mask has been revealed the purpose of that identity is long over. God, I hope Paul changes everything about this character ASAP.

* Similarly, I hate Thom as StarMAN, hate the mask and think the funny-crazy schtick is well and truly DONE. I want him back in the 31st century as sane Star BOY please Paul.

* Having just read all of James Robinson's Superman run I am LOVING all the focus Tellus has been getting recently. The Guardian/Tellus friendship has got to be THE most left-field thing I've ever read in comics. Who would have predicted that relationship 20 years ago? Or even 1 year ago?

* Element Lad's never been my fave Legionnaire but with the way this character has been treated over the last few years I'm glad his fans got to see him get that cool shirt off moment here. And I like him in the pink and black too!

Looking forward to seeing the Legion take over this book full time!

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by future king:
They are really keeping issue #9 a mystery aren't they??
There is no picture posted on the DC website solicits and to add to the mystery the info posted for #9 is exactly the same for #8 (which was a very cool issue by the way)!
I wonder what the final reveal will bring ... bet it's a bombshell though.

See this thread for the preview:

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000619

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uranus Lad
substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Uranus Lad   Email Uranus Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Where do I start? As far as costumes go, I really wish the Legion would get completely away from the whole pervy leotard look. I liked most of Gary Frank's redesigns but apparently any character aside from Chameleon Boy who wasn't in those issues lost out. Element Lad and ME Lad are both in need of a serious update. I mean I like the pink and black color scheme for E Lad but hip boots and cocktail cloves? It's so 1970s Saturn Girl! Perhaps if he was on Profem or had established gender identity issues... Sensor Girl's costume didn't bother me quite as much as it obviously did others but it's still pretty bad. Better than the original with the shoulder pads and military buttons, but bad none the less.

Aside from that, I don't find there's much to really like about this story. Braniac 5's back story seems poorly thought out and completely inconsistent with what we know about Colu so far as well as kind of pointless. The weird Element Lad reveal just made me think of Catholic Priests or Boy Scout leaders. And why would Ma leave them alone after that lame "We have something private to discuss" explanation?

The whole story seems clunky and formulaic. Trying desperately to squeeze in disparate elements and a bunch of dangling plot lines from that horrible "Lightning Saga". The best thing about these two issues so far was the cover for the latest. That, and seeing the return of Quislet, Tellus, E Lad and ME Lad. I might just skip the rest.

--------------------
Is that a moon?

From: Portland, OR | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.