Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » LEGION OF SUPER-VILLAINS #1-Preview/Spoilers (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: LEGION OF SUPER-VILLAINS #1-Preview/Spoilers
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
He really is such a bizarrely enigmatic character. While the other original character in the LSV War story (Zymyr) plays a major role, Terrus is just sort of there, and never really does anything. I always figured Levitz must have some additional plan for him that never materialized, but...
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Fool
Eager Young Space Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Flying Fool   Email The Flying Fool         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
The only thing I remember Terrus doing was making a small asteroid / bit of space debris explode near a Legionnaire (Dawnstar?), stunning them, but he did this by pushing a button, suggesting that he planted an explosive there, and wasn't using any sort of super-power.

It was a group of Wildfire, Dawnstar, Mon-El. They were in an asteroid belt. Terrus pushes a button and a group of asteroids explode.

He might have some form of control over earth matter because the debris forms a stream and start streaking directly towards the Legion's ship, an action that didn't look all that natural given the art depiction.

--------------------
Space travel is engineering, time travel is magic.

From: The Bright, Sunny South | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glen Cadigan
Semi-Pro

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glen Cadigan   Email Glen Cadigan         Edit/Delete Post     
When I interviewed Paul Levitz way back when for The Legion Companion, he had this to say about Terrus:

"Terrus might've been a modernization of a later generation of Scarecrow. If I was naming him Terrus, maybe it had something to do with terror."

This was after I reminded him that his costume looked like that of Scarecrow.

On an unrelated note, that ad has Cosmic King using magnetic powers, which as everyone here should know, is inaccurate. It was established way back in the LSVs first appearance in Superman # 147 (Aug. 1961) that he has transmutation abilities similar to those of Element Lad, although he comes from Venus. Why that was the case instead of the obvious alternative is something that you'd have to ask either Jerry Siegel or Mort Weisinger about. Myself, I think that they just made a mistake, and then stuck with it.

--------------------
Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/#!/GlenCadigan

or check out my website at http://www.glencadigan.com

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by The Flying Fool:
It was a group of Wildfire, Dawnstar, Mon-El. They were in an asteroid belt. Terrus pushes a button and a group of asteroids explode.

He might have some form of control over earth matter because the debris forms a stream and start streaking directly towards the Legion's ship, an action that didn't look all that natural given the art depiction.

I do vaguely remember that, but I was never sure at the time whether that was forced perspective (us just seeing the asteroids headed towards the ship, and not the ones heading in various other directions) or some sort of gravity manipulating / magnetic bomb (causing the debris to be attracted to the ship).

It never occured to me, at the time, that he was supposed to have super-powers, but it totally makes sense, in retrospect, that he'd use explosives to blast rocks into smaller chunks that he could manipulate with his powers...

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Fool
Eager Young Space Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Flying Fool   Email The Flying Fool         Edit/Delete Post     
Was Ol-Vir seen in this? Or is he even still around?

Been reading the last story arc with the LSV, with Orando and Karate Kid, coupled with his initial appearance in Great Darkness, I seem to like this brat kid. Although by now, he may not be a kid anymore.......

--------------------

From: The Bright, Sunny South | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Ol-Vir was turned to dust in the Validus-origin annual.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Wasn't Ol-Vir active in Lo3W?

Then again, so were Validus Ranzz, Emerald Sarya, reformed Mordru and blowed-up Tharok, so that doesn't necessarily mean anything...

Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
I always thought Terrus was a non-powered take on a 30th century Scarecrow-type baddie, with the "Terrus" being synonymous with "Terror" not "Terra", but I can't for the life of me figure out if I read that somewhere or just came up with it on my own.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

Since he's never been seen without his freaky scarecrow mask, it would be amusing to have 'Terrus' not always be the same person, but a small group of low-powered villains with different powers. One 'Terrus' might be seen with earth-manipulation powers (clearly limited, compared to other characters, since he had to blow up that asteroid to move the fragments, and couldn't just move the entire thing as someone like Cosmic Boy or Ultra Boy would have), another with fear-generating emotion control, another with a bunch of remote-controlled machines / traps / robots, etc.

That could be a fun way to give oneself a reputation as having all sorts of powers...

The Flying Fool
Eager Young Space Cadet

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Ol-Vir was turned to dust in the Validus-origin annual.

Oy vey, Ol-Vir. That figures. Get to like him and they just kill him off.

Although like Set mentioned, I seem to recall him in 3 Worlds, but there was so much temporal machinations going on, Lightning Lord knows if that was the real one or not....

--------------------

Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
So much for drawing the line at $2.99. This $4.99 issue was pretty light on content. I'm not a big fan of specials that are just designed to set up or preview upcoming stories. That said, the LSV lineup is a good one, Saturn Queen is being taken to a whole new level of crazy and evil, and Portela's art was solid.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Great art, and I enjoyed the new characters, but Saturn Queen was a bit too "Emerald Empress crazy" for my taste.

I guess I'm just missing her as Mrs. Tenzil Kem... no hope of that now. She's a grade-A nutjob spouting utter psychobabble.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tempest
Enchantress

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tempest   Author's Homepage   Email Tempest         Edit/Delete Post     
I got this, surprise surprise.

I like Saturn Queen, why I picked this up. Prefer has a calm intellect type, passionate psycho not so much.

But overall, I enjoyed it.

--------------------
And to show I bear no ill will, I, too, shall bestow a gift...

From: The Mansion | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Saturn Queen was always one of my favourite villains but I’m not so sure I like this uber cold killer so much. Maybe it’s because I always remember her as capable of being reformed (ie influenced by the rings of Saturn, a Kiss from Superman etc)
Still have to admit I liked this issue.

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
^Yeah, Far, that's about where I am with this too! I don't really want Saturn Queen to take the place of Levitz' badass (and CRAZYass) Sarya.

Still, it was a good read and nice setup for stuff to come, with some HOT art!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.