Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Television Trouble Finder » Looks That Kill Lad (1972-2004) (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Looks That Kill Lad (1972-2004)
Ghost of Numf El
Waste ....... Of Space!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ghost of Numf El           Edit/Delete Post     
I never had any real contact with him, however, from reading the last few pages it's clear that there will be a lot of people who will grieve him.

My condolences to all who miss him - both real and virtual.

xx

--------------------
Hic!

From: Scatland | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
I never knew Paul, but it seems he was very close to many of you. Please accept my condolences.
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Comet King
No 1 Tellus fan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Comet King           Edit/Delete Post     
Just to let you all know that it was Paul's funeral on Monday.

His family went, as did he friends, people from the UK based Legion APA he was a member of and lots of his workmates - I think about 50 of them turned up.

It wasn't a religious service, as Paul didn't have any religious beliefs. Instead his cousin, some of his friends, his boss and his partner gave readings.

Lord of the Rings was his favourite book so I chose this passage to read:

"As they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was and his beard was long, and he was grey and old, save that his eyes were as keen as stars, and he looked at them and bowed, and said "All is now ready."

Then Cirdan led them to the Havens, and there was a white ship lying, and upon the quay beside a great white horse stood a figure all in white awaiting them. As he turned and came towards them Frodo saw that Gandalf now wore openly on his hand the Third Ring. Then those who were to go were glad, for they knew Gandalf would take ship with them.

But Sam was now sorrowful at heart, and it seemed to him that if the parting would be bitter, more grievous still would be the long road home alone. But even as they stood there and all was being made ready to depart, up rode Merry and Pippin in great haste. "It will be better three together than to ride back one alone" said Gandalf, "Well here at last, dear friends, on the shore of the Sea comes the end of our fellowship in Middle-Earth. Go in peace. I will not say; do not weep; for not all tears are bad.”

Then Frodo kissed Merry and Pippin, and last of all Sam, and went aboard; and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew, and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth; and the light of the glass that Frodo bore glimmered and was lost. And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in a dream, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise. "

I just thought I'd share it with you as everyone on here's been really supportive and seem to think a lot of Paul, which has been a big comfort to me. I've also passed on your good wishes to his family.

--------------------
"What a total entropic mess! Let me at it!"

From: London, England | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Very nice. Thank you for taking the time to follow up with us here.
From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks CK. That was a very moving and beautiful passage you selected to read.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks so much for letting us know. Acceptance is hard, sometimes. I wish I had gotten to know him better.

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I've been thinking about him so much these past couple of weeks. I wish I had kept in closer contact with him than I had been, and not played the whole "I'll shoot him an email tomorrow" game that is so easy to do. If I've learned anything from this, it's to not take for granted that you will get the chance to do tomorrow what you should be doing today.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
thanks for sharing that reading with us, Andrew !

and i hope everything went as well as could be expected ....

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks Andrew.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
That was such a lovely passage you read.

Thank you for sharing, Andrew.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks. It was very moving.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Thank you for sharing Andrew, that was a beautiful and fitting passage.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Comet King
No 1 Tellus fan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Comet King           Edit/Delete Post     
One last thing - it's too late to send flowers or anything like that now but if anyone wants to make a donation it should go to the intensive care unit at Chelsea and Westminster hospital.

Not sure how you go about it if you don't live in the UK but I know that's what his colleagues did.

--------------------
"What a total entropic mess! Let me at it!"

From: London, England | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Now that I'm back, I just wanted to express my sorrow over Paul's death. I remember his contributions to our little club very well. Though he wasn't among those I was closest to, we definitely had some memorable and sympathetic interaction together.

My thoughts are with his family and friends, and I hope things are jumping over there in the Gray Havens...

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
This will now be an archive in memory of Paul. I'll keep it open in case anyone wishes to add their voice to it.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.