Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » The Legion is Dead, Long Live the Legion: Article at Newsarama (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: The Legion is Dead, Long Live the Legion: Article at Newsarama
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I'm not freaked out by this news. In fact, I think it seems pretty exciting.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
Imra better watch herself. The last psychic involved in a Titans crossover ended up with a snapped neck. But it really helped the story along [Confused]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Um...who said anything about a reboot?

There doesn't seem to be anything close to a reboot coming, just a bit of a change in direction. The article was pretty vague, and said nothing about a change in continuity or starting over again.

I'd offer my opinions on the subject...but there's hardly anything in the article about what the Legion is going to be like. I'm just glad that there will be a book, that Mark Waid has a love for the characters, and now I'll just wait for the next article to come out that may actually give us details.

I do like the idea of 30 page issues though [Smile]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Pov, I can always count on you to voice the thoughts I don't dare. Its almost as if you were the little voice saying to me, as I wrote that, Mole Wacker! [Big Grin]
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
[Mystery Lad]
{[...] And bring back Element Lad. Please?}

Don't worry. He'll be back. Somehow.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
As for the Big News itself, I haven't untangled in my mind what Re-Launch, Restart, and Reboot signify, and which one this Waid-Kitson era is going to end up to be.

When (not if, see link immediately above) some of the missing pre-boot characters return, I'll be happy. If the storyline AND art are compelling, hell yes, I'll buy it.

For now, though, we just don't know enough details. Except that we can confidently count upon the eternal persistence of the craftiest people in this and every galaxy: lawyers. Especially trademark lawyers.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I first read the news early this morning but I've been feeling too emotional to post anything about it.

I'm sad, mainly because I'm uncertain I'll still be on board this December, especially if the core team and its founders don't remain substantially intact. I'm not against change, but I don't believe the LSH is in need of a "factor 6" change. Hell, I'm still recovering from the changes wrought by Legion Lost. This is a little too much for me to digest rught now.

Five new LSH Archives books are waiting for me at the post office. If I can't take comfort in the future, at least I still have the past.

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Autochef
Please Sandwich Artist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Autochef   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The basic concept of the LSH will never die as long as DC still makes super-hero comics, because it has too much potential. Waid has expressed a love for the concept and so I doubt he will change things so drastically that it will no longer be the Legion. It might be a hypertimed Legion with preboot elements or something, but it'll still be a team of 25-ish kids from different planets with varying powers, set in the future. I'm sure of this.

Now, is Barry Kitson fast enough to draw 30 pages a month without needing fill-ins? Or maybe is that rumored Lightle "Legion Outpost" project a regular backup? With 30 pages, the title could have a dedicated 8-page backup. I'd like that.

--------------------
"NO, NO, NO, computer. NO CHEESE. I said, "PLEASE" ... please."

From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
draub
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for draub   Email draub         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Autochef:
Or maybe is that rumored Lightle "Legion Outpost" project a regular backup? With 30 pages, the title could have a dedicated 8-page backup. I'd like that.

The math certainly is intriguing...as is the possibility. [Big Grin]
Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Hmmm...I think you guys are reacting too much to this. Remember what disdain we've had for DnA's lack of characterization and these pointless multi-issue stories being drug out far too long? I see this as TPTB listening to our concerns and trying to rectify them. I'm pretty confident that Waid and Kitson will deliver us a Legion to be proud of and a joy to read.

My only concern is for Sno Cone! Will mechana still be on the book?!? (Well, also I'll really miss Chris and Chip! They made some pretty comics!)

[ May 26, 2004, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Lad Kid   Email Super Lad Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Waid hit the nail directly on the head for me when he said:

"‘Something unleashed on the planet Omicron VII has reversed the Expanding Universe!’ and not enough on how that idea directly involves one - or several - of our heroes and sharpens our focus on him - or them. I don’t give a rat’s ass about the Contracting Universe unless dealing with it creates some sort of drama within a Legionnaire or within the team."

This is exactly what has been wrong with DnA since the first (maybe second) arc of the current series. It seems that Waid is taking a direct shot at "Foundations" here. The Legion faced the beggest threat ever in any of its existences and I betcha anyone on this board would be hard pressed to actually tell you what that story was about, even though it was only four months ago.

The first year of the rebooted Legion ranks right up there IMO with the best of Legion runs. XS and Kinetix seemed to fit right in with the rest of the team. I never hear anyone complain about their inclusion the way I have with Monstress and Kid Quantum. Waid knows how to right characters. The very first reboot issue (Legion #0) ranks as one of my all time favorite issues - at first it was my most hated, because it was the first indication that the old Legion wasn't coming back - but time heals all wounds. The White Triangle is near the top of my favorite story arcs, despite the senseless slaughter of Apparition.

Guys, the Legion is in good hands. The characters are in good hands. things aren't going to be the same as they were before. But let's face it, it doesn't matter how many times the kid from OC reads it, this Legion was not going to make it. Despite all of the fancy new threats and beautiful art, there was no heart. Everything was just going through motions. Even at their best in Legion Lost, there was still something missing in the characters that we were reading. Something has to be done.

I don't think Waid is going to start everything over from scratch. Nor do I think he is going to tie hopelessly to Titans continuity. Waid obviously wants this to be HIS playground not shared with Geoff Johns. I think the Titans crossover can only help in terms of exposing the Legion to a potentially new audience.

The Legion is in good hands now. I am guardedly optimistic, but optimistic nonetheless.

From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Lad Kid   Email Super Lad Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Something else to think about - long shot probably, but Warner is always trying to match DC, at least on the surface, with what appears on television. Could the Legion/Titans crossover be related to a Legion appearance on the Teen Titans show?
From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gorilla Nebula
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gorilla Nebula   Email Gorilla Nebula         Edit/Delete Post     
WOW. this is exciting news! better than i had hoped for.
and i've been reading the LSH since the 70's. let's see...they are more of a youth movement than a super-team or government sponsored planetary defense. i love that, it goes back to the humble beginnings of the LSH as a super-hero club. Waid's talk of re-imagining the series for contemporary audiences makes me fear for the "boy-girl-lad" names. oh well, i guess they need to be retired along with the upside-down rocketship Headquarters. Are Saturn Girl and Cosmic Boy, Element Lad, the only one's left? Unless you count "Kid" as old-fashioned too...Karate Kid, Invisible Kid, Kid Quantum.

Waid and Kitson (hmm..WnK...WinK?...WanK?) say clearly that there are 20+ members, super-powered, character-driven (AMEN!!), but except for Brainy the roster is not decided. I hope alot more ethnicities represented as well as aliens! Also, on a scale from 1-10 (1 being status quo and 10 being radically different), Kitson's re-imaging of the style of the future is a SIX! All of this means reboot to me. My guess is the time anomaly of Superboy will cause ripples of change to the 31st century at the end of the Titans crossover. i'm interested to see Kitson's sketches. I browsed thru EMPIRE and i wasn't that impressed. it looked very much like Moy's work in my opinion. All pretty detail, but little lighting or mood, and few memorable images.

If they don't use the CLASSIC characters, it'll be a challenge to make us care. they could end up with an army of forgettable heroes like L.E.G.I.O.N. or OmegaMen. I trust Waid though. KINGDOM COME anyone? and they consulted with and have Paul Levitz's blessing. I can't wait to see it all!!! A Legion for the 21st Century! or is it the 31st?

--------------------
Gorilla Nebula

From: san francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Darkstars: didn't last.
GL Corps: didn't last.
L.E.G.I.O.N.: didn't last.

Legion of Super Heroes lasted. Why? Could it be because they DID trust a bunch of teenagers to protect the Universe? As young readers most of us has someone we could identify with as opposed to look up to (Superman, Wonder Women...).

If it's a different book they want to write, why not take a shot as writing a new book instead of obsconding with a franchise?

Didn't like Waid's last reboot and so far am not seeing any reason to look forward to the new one.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Floating Foxlike Creature
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floating Foxlike Creature           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
As for Mr. Editor Wacker, I know that he, or someone on his staff, reads this board. Maybe he'll finally uncloak and reveal himself.

Hee hee!
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.