Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » The Legion is Dead, Long Live the Legion: Article at Newsarama (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: The Legion is Dead, Long Live the Legion: Article at Newsarama
JR Loflin
Stay Ace!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JR Loflin   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
It's the Fox! The Fox is a mole!!! [Wink]

...stop looking at me like that, guys... [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

From: Outpost Gallifrey | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
For all those sentients who were wondering how all those dangling plotlines were going to be addressed, I think it's safe to say they will all just go away ...

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
For all those sentients who were wondering how all those dangling plotlines were going to be addressed, I think it's safe to say they will all just go away ...

Yeah. And someone posted on the Newsarama board how good DnA was about wrapping up AlMOST ALL of their plot lines. I was so flabbergasted I couldn't even think how to start to set the poor guy straight.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Lad
No-so-special Guest Star

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Can I swear in these boards. If so, Fucky Mc Fuck with a side dish of SHIT!!

Why, oh, why must Geoff Johns be involved in everything these days? He's waaay overrated.

Also, while I like Waid & Kitson just fine, why couldn't they have tried to get someone like, say, Grant Morrison? Despite Sanity or Madness' dislike for the guy's writing, I still believe he's the only mainstream writer that gets the concept and has the ability to really make the thirty-first century actually look like the future.

And if this is a reboot, it's a bad idea.

From: San Juan, Puerto Rico | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Why oh why do many of us fans have to b***h about a good thing? We have the Legion back and we whine over vague little details. Would it hurt the fandom to at least show a little optimism?

Why? Because I am a big legion fan that has SUFFERRED much due to decisions made by DC. I finally enjoy the Legion again in over 10 years and they decide to change it. That is why.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Newell
In Bismoll We Trust

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Newell   Email Paul Newell         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jorge Martinez:
[QUOTE]Why? Because I am a big legion fan that has SUFFERRED much due to decisions made by DC. I finally enjoy the Legion again in over 10 years and they decide to change it. That is why.

Uh...weren't DnA leaving anyway, necessitating the change? DC didn't fire them from the book.

--------------------
Paul Newell
Titan President

From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Newell:
quote:
Originally posted by Jorge Martinez:
[QUOTE]Why? Because I am a big legion fan that has SUFFERRED much due to decisions made by DC. I finally enjoy the Legion again in over 10 years and they decide to change it. That is why.

Uh...weren't DnA leaving anyway, necessitating the change? DC didn't fire them from the book.
Yes and no - they quit, but then were told to leave 3 issues earlier than they wanted to.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
For those not continuing to read the posts over at Newsarama dealing with the article, Barry has been posting and, while not giving out and out answers, he has given a little insight. As he see's it. I'll post them here.

quote:
Originally posted by Barry Kitson at Newsarama:
Hi Guys
Just a quick thanks to all those who said knid things about my past work! I'll try to keep improving!

As to our new venture and those who are sceptical (that may not be a strong enough word for some of you ) I hope you'll read a few issues and give us a chance to win you over!

As to how long we intend to be on the book - we are definitely intending it to be a long run! I'd like to match my L.E.G.I.O.N. run if I could!

Cheers
Barry

quote:
(Answering a question about plans for L.E.G.I.O.N. after their upcoming appearance in the Adam Strange mini)
Thanks kingbobo - L.E.G.I.O.N. isn't being forgotten that's all I can say at this stage

(Answering question asking for clarification ont he reboot/relaunch question) Sorry Kon-El we really do have a 'grand-scheme' in mind for our approach and we really don't want to give anything away before you read the stories, so for now we won't be doing much clarifying - but the short answer to your question is 'No!'

Already I've read a lot of people making some widely off-the-mark leaps in jusdgement about the few things that have been said about what we're doing, so I'm sure anything else I say is bound to land me in deep water.

I will try to answer as honestly as I can any questions anyone has, but as with those of you who read Empire and chatted with me about that - you'll know I don't like to spoil any surprises in store!

quote:
Thanks again everyone for the support and encouragment - I'm going to be putting every effort into making this the best work I've ever done.

I think LE.G.I.O.N. readers as well as Legion readers will enjoy the character of what we have in mind... I'm certainly feeling the same buzz of excitement working on the series.

I'm really not thinking of it as a 'reboot' or 'relaunch', but something different - a new chapter - distinct, but definitely part of the LSH big picture. I'm sure some folks' feathers will get ruffled - no change can occur without that happening - but hopefully we'll get a whole bunch of new people to take a look at the series - and we certainly won't be doing anything to detract or show any disrespect the great LSH heritage!

I think/hope what we're doing will work on a few levels - for new readers there will be character driven stories that we hope will entertain and engage on their own standing - and for long-time LSH fans (like myself) all sorts of added shades and flavors added by their previous experience of the LSH. Hopefully the big picture will unfold for everyone....in the same way we began to do with Empire...self-contained issues making up a larger picture and then volumes that come together into bigger arcs etc.

Anyway, I'd best stop prattling now and look forward to seeing how everyone feels after you've had chance to read an issue or two. Thanks again for all the kind words!

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
Barry Kitson joined in the fun and games at Newsarama. A few points of interest:

"I'm really not thinking of it as a 'reboot' or 'relaunch', but something different - a new chapter - distinct, but definitely part of the LSH big picture."

I assume this means that the characters that survive the transition will be the same characters we know now. The $64K question is, how many will survive...and who.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"As to how long we intend to be on the book - we are definitely intending it to be a long run! I'd like to match my L.E.G.I.O.N. run if I could."

It remains to be seen if this is a good thing, or a bad thing. From the sound of it, Waid and Kitson will be exempt from DiDio's rule of rotating teams.

"L.E.G.I.O.N. isn't being forgotten that's all I can say at this stage"

"I think LE.G.I.O.N. readers as well as Legion readers will enjoy the character of what we have in mind..."

He's putting an awful lot of emphasis on L.E.G.I.O.N. A 21st century component, maybe? In any event, I think it's no coincidence that Brainy is the first confirmed character. He's going to play a more pivotal role than ever before, imho, just as his ancestor Vril Dox did in L.E.G.I.O.N. I'll go so far as to speculate that B5 will be the "founder" of the next incarnation of the Legion.

"I'm sure some folks' feathers will get ruffled - no change can occur without that happening - but hopefully we'll get a whole bunch of new people to take a look at the series"

A generic statement, but I get the distinct impression they're perfectly willing to sacrifice some of the old readership for a shot at a new one. This is going to be every bit as controversial as TMK, imo.

... and we certainly won't be doing anything to detract or show any disrespect the great LSH heritage!

Sounds to me like "the great LSH heritage" will be embalmed and put to rest. I have a bad feeling about this.

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
Ah, you beat me to it, Lightning Lad. [Smile]
From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Yeah but you gave comments Trom. I just posted Barry's statements. Both are cool with me. [Smile]

[ May 27, 2004, 05:50 AM: Message edited by: Lightning Lad ]

The Man From Cargg
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Man From Cargg   Email The Man From Cargg         Edit/Delete Post     
With fingers crossed that our favourites (Triad, Triad, Triad) make it on to the new team, I'm not too freaked out about the possibilities inherent in the latest re-imagining of the Legion.

Here is why it makes sense to me - DnA road a long time on the good will generated by their early promise. They introduced exciting new ideas like Damning the Legion, Losing the Legion, Legion World, but then started to leave a trail of ragged story threads dangling in their wake. They'd introduce something compelling (Sharn Nux/Computo, Fatal 5's secret) and with baited breath we would wait to see how it would play out. I kept thinking they're doing this for a good reason (Kinetix's transformations, Ferro stuck in mask, Jarth) which they will reveal later. But later never came.
It really is unfair to dump all of this into the laps of a new team who want to create (or distort?) their own version of the Legion. Who would want to follow DnA with a broom and dustbin cleaning up after their sloppy story-telling?

Lets see what the new team has got to offer and give them a chance. Just the fact that they've mentioned "characterization" in a big way has got me drooling.

--------------------
The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.

From: Hamilton | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patch Lad
Missing in Action

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patch Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Patch Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
My take on it is this.

I have been a Legion fan since I was a kid. I always will be. If you dressed up cute and fuzzy bunnies in a Legion belt and gave them a flight ring, I would probably still buy the comic. Maybe that is just me.

I didn’t really care for what DnA did with the Legion. They did put out some good stories, but I am not sorry to see them go. I got used to what they did, and I am dealing with it.

When you talk about Mark Waid, all I can say is that just about everything of his that I have read, has made me excited about comics again and I have enjoyed reading it. Kingdom Come , the Tower of Babel storyline of JLA, JLA: Year One , just to name a few. Some of the best stuff I have ever read in my opinion. I know Waid is a Legion fan. I saw him in a Legion panel at a convention in ’96 and you could tell he was excited about it then. From what I have seen so far, he seems excited about it now. I might not like everything he ends up doing, but I have a feeling that I am going to enjoy it anyway and I will have a smile on my face. For me, put that in the “no-worries” column.

When you bring Barry Kitson into it, the smile gets even wider. Besides the fact the Kitson is a top-notch artist, look at what he and Waid have worked on and the past. Empire , JLA: Year One , Brave and the Bold. All everyone-should-have-a-copy stuff if you ask me. They make a great team, and they produce quality stuff. Put that in the “no-worries” column.

The only way I could be happier is if I had a working flight ring…
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe."

-Edmund Burke

From: Mississippi | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gorilla Nebula
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gorilla Nebula   Email Gorilla Nebula         Edit/Delete Post     
oh lord, i hope Waid doesn't bring back Tangleweb!!!

--------------------
Gorilla Nebula

From: san francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Kitson
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Kitson   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hi everyone - and thanks to all of you who've said nice things about my past work!

To touch on a few of the points that have been raised...

The LSH will very definitely be teenagers!

I wouldn't focus too much on the 'movement' word - it seems to be causing a lot of confusion - and misdirection...

I wouldn't worry about terms like reboot or relaunch either - we're not thinking in those terms.

We are VERY pleased Paul Levitz is so encouraging and enthusiastic about our ideas! I'm sure you are all aware of how devoted to the Legion Paul is! :-)

There will be 30 pages of story each month...and I'm determined to draw as many as I can!

Apologies for any clumsiness or naivete I show in my posts to the boards...hopefully I'll be a seasoned contributor before too long.

I'm very excited and proud to be part of the LSH story - I loved working on L.E.G.I.O.N. and the interaction it afforded with the readers; I really hope the same will possible with LSH.
I'll be happy to answer as many questions as I can and be as frequent a visitor as I can...the only thing I won't want to do is give away any storylines - I always liked the LSH when you didn't know what could happen next and I hope we'll be bringing that edge back to the stories.I'm also very wary about dropping hints - as from experience people seem to take the hint and then imagine the worst possible interpretation they can from it!:-)

It's a shame really that the news had to come out this far in advance of the book - as I'm a lot more comfortable discussing actual stories than I am dealing with all the speculation.

Thanks again for the invitation to join the boards (and to Faraway who gave me the nudge to remember that invite) and for everyone's encouragement and support - for those of you sceptical (or worse) I hope you'll give us the chance to win you over.

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.