Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » The Legion is Dead, Long Live the Legion: Article at Newsarama (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: The Legion is Dead, Long Live the Legion: Article at Newsarama
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Well if nothing else, this news is certainly bringing out the lurkers. [Smile]

I'm excited about this. Sure there's some element of risk when making changes to a title, but playing things safe can sometimes be worse.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Glad to have you aboard, Barry. I remember fondly your interaction with TITANS fans during the your stint on that book.

I admit I'm a little wary about what I've read so far. Whether you're thinking in "reboot" terms or not, it seems clear that you and Mark are going to start from scratch somehow, whether that means a new origin for the Legion or that the current team disbands, somehow, and reforms. Your comments (and his) imply that none of the established characters are a given, save for Brainy and the three founders (and, even then, Mark suggests that the three founders won't actually be present).

This sounds like echoes of the Doom Patrol, where you've got a name and one or two of the original characters, but no other connection to what made the team unique and exciting in the first place -- much of which has to do with specific characters and relationships. Another concern is, how many times can a team be restarted before restarting becomes an old and tired device that proves frustrating for fans?

I do like the idea of 30 pages per issue, though. It would seem to give you some flexibility in telling full-length stories or multiple stories per issue.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Faraway Lad:
Scott watch out I might just get over their one day to take you up on that offer of a beer [Big Grin]

Buddy, you show up on my doorstop (or anywhere within driving range) and I'll take you out to some great micro-breweries in Park City. Hell, bring Barry with you. I'll buy him a pint too. [Big Grin]
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Kitson
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Kitson   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hi everyone - and yet again thanks! That beer sounds like a good idea [Smile]

I think Arachne is absolutely right about about the risk factor..and it's really the one thing I can absolutely promise you all - we won't be playing safe! One of the things everyone seemed to agree they liked about Empire was that there was no room for complacency about the characters and what would happen next - and we would really like to keep that edge in the LSH.

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Hi Barry! Love your work!

Your above comment about "no room for complacency about the characters" kinda makes me think... some people might die! EEK!

Now shock deaths sometimes work really well (Monstress) and sometimes really don't (Leviathan) but IMO the re-boot Legion has already seen WAY TOO MUCH death. Hopefully your comment about 'not being complacent' means you have a different surprise in store for the characters - say, a shock resurrection (LEVIATHAN! LEVIATHAN! LEVIATHAN!). [Wink]

Best of luck anyway and whatever you have planned I'll definitely be there to give it a shot!

Completely off-topic - I know from the old DC Titans boards that you are a huge Lilith fan like myself. I was so happy when you brought her back onto the team and ditched her dumb Omen persona. I was wondering if you ever read Graduation Day and if so what you thought of what happened to her in it?

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Lightning Lad, i may be taking you up on that. I haven't seen an empire TPB around here.

And Yeah, Barry is a pretty cool guy. He took some slings and arrows over on Titans, but rather than get pissy about it, he was calm, cool, and collected. And when the criticism was genuine and not snide or smart-assed, he responded. But honestly, there wasn't much about his art to criticise.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
More creators should take a cue from Barry. [Cool]
From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
... how many times can a team be restarted before restarting becomes an old and tired device that proves frustrating for fans?

It seems to me that we've already exceeded that limit. I think it's frustrating as hell that the Legion gets restarted/rebooted/relaunched/whatever every 5 years. The same goes for Titans, which used to be my 2nd favorite book.

And, Barry, beer always sounds like a good idea, doesn't it?

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Arachne's sig sez:

quote:
--------------------
David: It would have to be someone who orginizes their office meticulously. Obsessively even. Someone anal retentive, and...
Cyclops: Heads up students. Everyone accounted for?
David: -- I think we have a winner.

New X-Men #1

Okay. [Smile] Now I can't wait to get this with my subs delivery. That's priceless, and I can't wait to see the context. [LOL]
From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mearl Dox
Likes green

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mearl Dox   Email Mearl Dox         Edit/Delete Post     
'Nother semi-lurker crawling out of the woodwork to comment. [Wink]

Although I was in a bit of a shock when I first heard about it, now that I've thought about it, I'm thrilled. Mark Waid is one of my favorite writers, and I've always liked Barry Kitson's art too. Although it did kind of wind down a bit, I also liked L.E.G.I.O.N. and the ideas behind that (okay, yes, maaaaybe that was influenced by my fondness for green men in positions of power.) Their reassurance that Brainy's involved in this Legion is also evidence that Mark and Barry are brilliant workers who can truly be trusted. [Big Grin] (If they kill him, I'll shave my eyebrows off. I will, you know.)

It probably helps that over the last ten or so years, I've been reading both the reboot and the preboot issues. I've become more attached to the Legion as an idea than any particular version. I think that an... update in ideas, even a slightly radical one (can something be 'slightly radical'?) would be interesting. I'm getting more and more eager to see what's going to happen. Good luck, Mark and Barry!

--------------------
科学の使者、キュアドクス!

From: Colu | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, I'm back after 6 pages and one very violent reaction.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thriled that the Legion will continue. I'm jupmig for joy that Waid and Kitson are gonna be the new creative team. I LOVE their work, and I have to say that they're one of the best possible teams for this book. And I'm bouncing up and down because characterization will rule the day. But what I don't like are all the whisperings of yet another reboot. Not only might I not see some of my favorite characters (Kinetix, XS, Gates, etc.) again, (though since Waid had a hand in creating them I'm hoping he'll include them), but I'm not sure if the Legion can survive another radical change like that. But whatever happens, I'll still buy the book and I'll definitely give it a chance. I just hope they don't change the Legion TOO much.

[ May 29, 2004, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: Invisible Brainiac ]

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Kitson
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Kitson   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks again for the support folks!

I'll just answer the off-topic question for now...as I'm sure we'll get to all the LSH ones again when those of you who attended the DCU panel at the UK Comic Con get back to the boards [Smile]

I honestly haven't read Graduation Day yet it's still on my 'to read pile'- I've rather avoided it just because I knew what was going to happen to Lilith in advance so I guess I've preferred to be in a state of denial [Smile] Maybe it's time I bit the bullet, I really should read it...

I have been reading the relauched Titans though and enjoying the book!

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.