Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Reboot was right (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Reboot was right
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Missing Third Bodies that No One Bothers to Look For!

That one may not be gone. [Smile] Well atleast Phase may not be gone. doh!
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
I respect that Kent and Reboot prefer the past series. I still miss the post-ZH Legion myself, especially Zoe, XS, Gates, and even Monstress, Kari and Jaz. But I am excited with the threeboot, and the pace doesn't bother me too much. I still liked the post-ZH Legion better, but I'm learning to live with the current one.

[ July 19, 2005, 06:44 AM: Message edited by: Invisible Brainiac ]

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Btw, I actually liked the Mordru story in the reboot. But I do agree re Foundations and Dark Circle Rising. And Terrorform Zoe!

Also:

Lori Morning!
M'Onel getting taken out way too easily! (versus the Fatal Five on Tenazor-4; versus Mordru; versus Lord Pernisius, to name just a few. [No] )
Panel-hogging characters who, unlike the current Cos and Brainy, don't serve a bigger purpose by hogging the panels! (Jaz, Jo and Imra were DnA's worst panel hogs, IMHO).
Cub!
Ra's al Ghul on LW and all the horrible inconsistencies and unresolved plot threads stemming from that. (Ra's took Terrorform Zoe out by tossing an exploding gun at her, when we've seen her survive in space unaided?? Star Boy and M'On being too slow to take out a bunch of mindless Ra's clones and allowing Ra's to escape after he'd inhabited a new clone body?? And Ra's deciding to stay on LW!?)

All gone!

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm anticipating each episode more and more! By the end of the DNA run I was embarrassed to buy the as it seemed filled with big bright splash pages, nonsense unresolved plot twists, unrealistic character actions (Brainy kissing Lyle - what was that about? etc) and panel hogs who just didn't appeal to me (Jaz and Imra).

So this run isn't speedy gonzales, so what? This is the first time since the Five Year Gap stories that the Legion has made me think about what's happening - I think that by issue 12 we'll be happy at the depth of characters and foundations laid out of this new interpretation of the future as the big picture is laid out fully for us.

I say "more, more, more!!!" to it [Big Grin]

But that's just my opinion.

Bxx

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cham55
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cham55   Email Cham55         Edit/Delete Post     
You all need to understand that the title of this thread is a truism ....

Reboot rightness is a part of being Scottish ... the one follows the other.

But this Scot actually is very enthusiastic about the new imagining of the Legion. But I'm old and find the pace of the series suits my mental processes ... it has more the feel of a novel.

[ July 19, 2005, 05:19 AM: Message edited by: Cham55 ]

From: Scotland | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
I enjoyed the first 7 issues of DnA's Legion relaunch waaaay more than the first 7 issues of WaK's reboot.

Waid seems to have forgotten that scintillating action, adventure and romance was the bedrock of the Legion's historical success. The travesty that was the TMK era is proof enough that socio-political themes do not constitute the right formula for this book. I really think they've started off on the left foot, especially with adults vs. kids premise. The idea of a Legion civil war is fine and dandy, but it should have been wrapped up in six issues rather than becoming one of the central threads of the series. I keep wondering when the "real" Legion stories will begin.

That said, it was Dan Didio's mandate to Waid to re-reboot the franchise, so there was probably *zero* chance of avoiding radical change, particularly in light of the universe-altering events to be wrought by Infinite Crisis. If it hadn't been rebooted by WaK, TPTB would have handed the job to another team. Judging by her tepid and pointless FNBR arc last year, a revamp done by Simone (who was briefly slated as writer before Waid stepped back in) could very well have sunk the ship. At least Waid is keeping it afloat.

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm actually enjoying the threeboot very much.

And I liked lots of parts of the Reboot, although I felt a large portion of it was utter crap and things were done very wrong.

I like the Legion as is--but neither era can compare to the preboot [Smile]

(Jeepers Eryk! 'Sneckie' is all you hadda say!)

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
And Pov and Cru-- [LOL]
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, someone pointed out to me what PMS was (Peyer, McCraw and Stern) but what the frag is TMK????
From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
TomMaryKeith: The Bierbaums and Giffen, who were behind the Five Year Gap Legion, just prior to the initial reboot.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Harbinger:
By the end of the DNA run I was embarrassed to buy the as it seemed filled with big bright splash pages, nonsense unresolved plot twists, unrealistic character actions (Brainy kissing Lyle - what was that about? etc) and panel hogs who just didn't appeal to me (Jaz and Imra).

But... but... that's what made it cool! Right? [Wink]
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
I like a lot of the 3boot, and I'm glad to be free of a lot of the crap from the last boot, as other have said, but the whole kids vs. adults theme really bugs me. The idea that adults are evil and a bunch of young kids who think they know everything but haven't lived long enough to know jack is trite and tired and just plain dumb.

And why is it that the UP supports the Legion? Isn't the UP's rule what the Legion is rebelling against? Why would the UP support them with the way Cosmic Boy keeps mouthing off to them and hanging up on them and disobeying direct orders from them anyway?

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
P.S. Thank God Gail Simone isn't the writer on the 3boot. I thought her 4-part filler story was just plain awful.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
If the storyline were really a matter of the good kids versus the evil adults, I'd agree that it was particularly annoying. But I think Waid has done a good job of making it clear that this is only a misperception, and the fact there is such a pervasive misperception of that sort about the genuine import of the events among many of the protagonists adds a nice layer of complexity to the storyline. That said, I'll be much happier once the Legion begins to realize the adults aren't all that bad.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
quote:
Originally posted by Harbinger:
By the end of the DNA run I was embarrassed to buy the as it seemed filled with big bright splash pages, nonsense unresolved plot twists, unrealistic character actions (Brainy kissing Lyle - what was that about? etc) and panel hogs who just didn't appeal to me (Jaz and Imra).

But... but... that's what made it cool! Right? [Wink]
Can I plead the fifth there Eryk? [Big Grin]

Jim, I think there's going to be a big reveal soon that will explain the inconsistencies we've seen so far - like the UP/Legion relationship and why the Legionnaires don't really seem to know each other? I assume an arch schemer like Lemnos who tampers with memories will be responsible but am waiting to find out.

Got to be said that Batista's art was lush though, I missed that once he'd finished his run.

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.