Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » post One Year Later SPOILERS (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: post One Year Later SPOILERS
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Here's scenes from Supergirl's (re)debut to the DCU in SUPERMAN/BATMAN #13.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
So this is all Yellow Kid's fault:

quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Kid:
She needs to join the Legion for a 6 issue story arc so I can get a Supergirl/Legion TPB drawn by Barry Kitsonfor next Christmas.
[Supergirl]

[Wink]
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I think the biggest problem I have with this whole thing is that it seems really gimmicky. In the same way that so much stuff associated with the previous incarnation of the team seemed gimmicky. It really sounds to me like the "Let's revisit the Legion's past but add a hokie twist" kind of attitude that ruined things the last time around. Yeah, Superboy and the Legion was popular thirty years ago, so let's bring that back, only make it Supergirl and the Legion!

I would also worry about what happens once Supergirl's popularity starts to plunge. When they start deciding that maybe she doesn't need to be headlining two titles, which one are they going to get rid of?

[ November 27, 2005, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: Eryk Davis Ester ]

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by wamu2:
will supergirl increase sales? maybe, but for how long?

It's not only about sales. It's not only about Supergirl, and whether or not we like her right now. There's a much bigger picture here. The LSH has been a continuity backwater for 20 years, with few visitors except diehard fans. As much as some readers love that comfortable isolation, it has to end for the sake of long-term survival. If the creators succeed in restoring the Legion's severed ties to the Superman family and its full-fledged membership in the DCU, the problem of sales will probably correct itself. Putting up with Supergirl (who isn't nearly as wretched as some people make her out to be) sounds like a fair price to pay for the chance to live in the mainstream universe again.
From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
I simply don't have enough information to form an opinion on it as yet. And I don't feel like working myself up by speculating.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

The past incarnation of the Legion was chock-full of efforts at connecting the Legion to the current DCU, and none of them were successful. Team 20? Ick. Ra's Al-Ghul? Double-Ick. Kon-el in the Legion? Triple-Ick.

The original Legion was always in somewhat of a "continuity backwater". Sure it was heavily tied to Superboy, but Superboy himself was set fifteen years before the rest of the DCU. The connections to the mainstream DCU were really just through the fact that Superman had once been a member, when he was a boy, with the exception of Supergirl, who was rarely around, and some rather forced incidents like the JSA/JLA/Legion crossover, which always seemed weird using the teen Legion for.

Assuming that this is the current Supergirl, and that she will also be continuing in her present title set in the current DCU, means the Legion is directly tied, on a monthly basis, to whatever happens in the present day DCU in a way that has never been, with the exception of the horrible Team 20 storyline.

[ November 27, 2005, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: Eryk Davis Ester ]

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
...unless we're talking about two distinct, different Supergirl's. Which is why I put issues #5 & #6 on the main page. TWO Supergirl's. Maybe our's will be a non-crappy version.

One can hope.

Oh! And for a refresher course on Supergirl's past and present, I've found her Wikipedia article very helpful.

[ November 27, 2005, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Is it about sales? Yes. But with Waid you never know. I honestly thought it was only a matter of time before Waid fit in Superboy...I was wrong. It was Supergirl.

Will Supergirl's popularity last? What do you think?

Is it ALL about sales? No. If it was the Legion would've had more of a broad appeal. I never liked the JSA...when Robinson, Goyer, and Johns decided to give it a bit more broad appeal and even a "alternative" feel like Starman...it clicked. The JSA never had the following the Legion had. Atleast not since most of us have been born.

The Young Justice teeny Legion has not sold. Be it the Zero Hour Legion or this Legion. The Adventure did sell with Superboy. But there was a very popular Legion there for about 15 years that did sell well...with Superboy/Supergirl NOT as the main attraction.

Again lots of the new Crisis stuff seems to be erasing some of the pass. I would take Supergirl gladly if it's the Earth1 Supergirl...and the precrisis Legion. By precrisis I mean circa 80 to 85...not 1967. [Smile]

As NC said maybe it's a different Supergirl...but I doubt it.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starbucks Kid
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starbucks Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I really wish I hadn't clicked on this thread. I'm in a bad mood now.

Be sure and bring back Lori Morning and that dial H for Hero crap too, Waid! (sarcasm)

Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Infectious Drura
long live the lesions

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Infectious Drura   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
My first reaction to this was bad to say the least. But not very surprised. Yes, the Legion is going to be a supporting cast for a Super-person again. Bah. The one element of my beloved silver age Legion that I never liked.

But I am a diehard Legion fan, and there simply isn't that many of us anymore for whatever reason. DC are not a charity as we all know. They aren't going to keep a floundering title artistically pure just for us, the ever tiny band of Legion fans, more's the pity.

At least it's not entirely without precedent in Legion history. But it's hard to escape the conclusion that your favourite series has just been demoted to supporting cast of flavour of the month status. Bah humbug.

If it's either this or no Legion at all, I guess I can live with it. But I don't like it.

--------------------
Fire in the disco! Fire in the Taco Bell! Fire in the disco! Fire in the gates of hell!!

From: England | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Kid
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Kid   Email Sketch Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
We get a new Legion ... buy into it and deal with the changes ... learn to accept it and enjoy it ... along comes Infinite Crisis and the shock waves start to spread and now this ... SUPERGIRL and the Legion of Superheros ... do we get two books ... one SG & the LSH and the LSH ... OR two books, SG and SG & the LSH ... I don't know ... I GIVE THE "F" UP trying to figure out where we're going!
Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Battler
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Battler   Email Blue Battler         Edit/Delete Post     
You know, I always liked having Superboy in the
Legion ... it gave a 20th Century Eye to the
30th Century ... and it was neat to see Superman
learning the tricks of the hero trade.

The thing that I think they should have done
Pre-Crisis that they never did was allow him
to age along with the Legion. It's not like
he did all that much during his college
career where he couldn't have been part of
the Legion... and that was a time in the
Pre-Crisis Superman's life-- post Smallville
and the Kents and pre-Meteropolis and Daily
Planet-- that wasn't covered much.

I haven't read much about the new Supergirl.
Is she supposed to be from the same version
of Krytpon as Byrne came up with? 'Cause
that's sure not an outfit that I'd picture
one of those Kryptonians wearing ...

Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Kitson
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Kitson   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hi Guys
Boy you get worked up before you read a story! [Smile]

Sorry not to have been around, but I've been visiting my parents over Thanksgiving. Hope you all had a good holiday.

Well I guess Dan has let the cat out of the bag - yes - Supergirl will be in issue #16 (whether we actually play with a logo for an issue or two you'll have to wait and see - I thought it might be fun)

As I said the seeds for all that's about to happen were sown right from the preview and the appearance or not of Supergirl and other Legionnaires past/present and future are all part of the big scheme... it'll all make perfect sense by issue #36...or was it #63? [tease]

Anyway - hopefully when you read the story you'll actually enjoy it!

Just remember LSH had been a thousand (well 999 years) post IC since issue #1! [Big Grin]

[ November 28, 2005, 06:55 AM: Message edited by: Barry Kitson ]

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
Barry, thanks for confirming that this development is all a part of your master plan, and we need not worry about you and Mark changing course or leaving. I wish Dan had consulted with you before spilling the beans because all it did was generate a lot of unnecessary confusion. In view of the Legion's wonky relaunch and reboot history, it's little wonder people get nervous when confronted with unexpected news like this and tend to think the worst. As his penance for agitating us, Dan must allow an early preview of the cover of #16. [Smile]

I can only speak for myself, but I'm willing to give the Supergirl Legion a fair chance because I believe you have the Legion's best interests at heart. First order of the day is a new and improved costume for her 31st century adventures, right??

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm excited about the possibility of Supergirl joining the Legion. It's the real deal Kryptonian Kara Zor-El too. I never accepted Andromeda as a Supergirl substitute. The original girl of steel was robbed of her rightful place in the Legion and I never did understand why. Maybe this will be a chance to rectify that.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.