Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » LSH at Baltimore (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: LSH at Baltimore
Ultra Boy
Lovin the Art!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Ultra Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey everyone!

Just wanted to post a quick note to say it was great meeting all the Legion Worlders in attendance.

I am still in Baltimore, won't be home until late tommorrow.

I will do my best to get up a post on Wednesday with some great looking skteches by Barry!

LLLater!

[Ultra Boy - Re-Imagined]

--------------------
UltraBoy

From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
It was a good con.

Baltimore's big enough that it gets a large and fairly diverse bunch of guests but not so large that it becomes impossible to approach people.

I wasn't interested in buying a lot of stuff, so I didn't spend too much time in the Dealers' Area. I did get several fine sketches, one of which you may actually get to see if I read Ultra Boy's post correctly. (The Miner household still lacks a scanner.)

It was great hanging out with the LW folks. Sorry I didn't get to meet all of you. It was also fun to watch two non-LW friends go completely bats at their first ever big convention.

It was also great to get the chance to tell creators whose work I enjoy that I enjoy their work. Someday I hope to be able to do that without tripping over the English language in the process.

Anyway, good show. Shout outs to our LW volunteers who worked Barry and Mark's booth during the show, and to Barry and Mark themselves for making the trip.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lad Boy
3rd smartest person on Legion World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lad Boy   Email Lad Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Sorry I missed you, Miner. I assume you were at the "collaborators Forum," too.
From: Washington DC | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Kitson
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Kitson   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hi Guys
Well I'm back in the UK and back at the drawing desk. I do have to say a huge thanks to all of you for making the convention such a pleasure for me to attend!

I think the best thing I've ever seen done at a convention was by a Legionworlder (who will remain nameless until he gives me permission to say otherwise) - who having stoof in line for at least two hours for a sketch...and after I'd actually started his sketch gave up his place and told me to stop working on his sketch as it was getting near the end of the day and there was someone in the line who couldn't come back on Sunday. Not anly did he do that but the three guys behind him in the line did too! AMAZING! Great to see!

I'm only sorry I didn't get chance to chat with more of you individually - we'll have to organize a Legion World dinner or something where I can do sketches exclusively for you guys?

Anyway, it was it was a real honour to meet those of you who made it - thanks again! [Smile]

I'll hopefully write something a little more cogent once I'm past the jet lag! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Boy
Lovin the Art!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Ultra Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Baltimore Comic Con Day 1

Baltimore Comic Con 2006 was an absolutely wonderful experience. It was such a pleasure to meet Barry for the first time. In person he comes across even nicer than on the boards here. Genuine, friendly, and considerate. Thanks Barry for not spoiling a “fan boys” image of his favorite artist.

I will do my best here to explain how the weekend went, forgive me if I missed someone or important details. Sorry for any poor pics, but it was con lighting & a digital camera.

The story of the Con.

The Con doors opened at 10 am on Saturday, and Barry & Mark Waid arrived at the table shortly after that. What they arrived to was a long line, a common theme to be followed throughout the weekend.

Before the Con I had discussed with Barry that if he needed any help at the show I would be available. Well based on the line to start the day, Barry took me up on my offer. (Yes!)

Barry’s sketch policy was as such. If you were having it drawn in a sketch book or had it dedicated to yourself, the sketch was absolutely free, as long as you were willing to wait. Otherwise the cost would be $60. Needless to say, no one paid for a sketch AND whether it was in a sketchbook or not, the recipient wanted it personalized. Based on the faces, none of the 19 sketches done, yes 19, will ever make it to ebay.

Now you Legion Worlders who got sketches. I am not going to “out” you, so please post up to claim your sketch if you want!

So below are the sketches, with commentary as needed. If a person has already posted the image in there own online gallery, I have provided the link to there gallery.

Barry started out with a Wonder Woman for Steve, only to be interrupted by a fire evacuation that required EVERYONE leave the Con building. After about a 30 minute wait Barry was back at it.

Wonder Woman - She fights the forces of evil!

Next up was a Batwoman.........:

BATWOMAN!!

Followed by a Robin

-

Big Fan Boy Mike Fogg wanted a Planetary character & Barry decided to do Jakita.

Jakita

Next up was Golgoth form the Empire series.

-

And after that was out 1st Legion, albeit L.E.G.I.O.N Character Lobo. To arguably the happiest fan of the entire weekend Kurt. I saw him on Tuesday & he was still smiling.

-

Next up was Mary Marvel & Atom Girl!

-

And the parade of Legion Ladies continued with Shadow Lass.

-

With only about an hour left in the Con, I was checking with the next several people in line to inquire who was going to be back on Sunday. Unfortunately for Mike he was #4 on the list and with 1 hour left there was no way Barry could make it to him. THEN a LW’er jumped in and offered to switch spots. What a guy. Thanks. So next up was Powergirl. Which I personally like way much better than the typical, ummmmm, say….. “larger” version. She would look very good in the Legion as well!

-

Last sketch of the day was The Scarlet Witch. Check it out in Steve's Gallery here:Scarlet Witch

So in the 1st 8 hour day, with a 30 minute fire alarm break & a 1 hour panel break Barry made it through 10 sketches. With most of the recipients waiting in the line the entire day, with only a break for the panel. Which was not required of them, but they wanted to watch Barry draw. What dedication, a theme to be repeated the next day.

Special thanks to Barry from all as he basically chained himself to the table, surviving on coffee, 2 bites of a ham sandwich, and the 5 pm consumtion of a hotdog in 15 seconds flat. It was like he was on a deadline. Absolutely amazing. Wow!

More in the next post, Sunday!

[ September 20, 2006, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: Ultra Boy ]

--------------------
UltraBoy

From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Boy
Lovin the Art!

SUNDAY

Sunday started out with Stealth.

-

Following that was a Scarlet Witch Captain America combo. Check out Mark’s description in the link for more on that.
Scarlet Witch & Captain America

Next up was Ryan on a “quick” Cap sketch. Cough, cough. More about that in his link.
WW II Captain America

Next up was Paul, who got the award for the longest in line, and the reward was Atom Girl. WOW!

-

Back to the Marvel Universe with Ms Marvel after that.

-

Following that was a Kingdom Come Superman. Jason had successfully found a comic that proved Barry right from the previous day’s panel, and was rewarded well.

-

Next was Queen Amidala from the Star Wars series, straight from photo reference. Nice!

Queen Amidala

To finish of the day 2 Legionnaires. Timberwolf, to a very appreciative Jeff. Gotta admit I wanted to see that one too!

Timber Wolf

And a quick Braniac 5 (5 minute too) to end the Con.

-

Whew. Another marathon day for Barry.
Sunday was a 7 hour day, with a 1 hour panel break, and he still got through 9 sketches & 3 quickies. Judge Dredd – 3 minute sketch.

Judge Dredd

Morbius – Giant board. Superman – quickie head sketch.

That AND signing Hundreds if not a thousand comics over the course of the 2 days!

Click for fullsize image

Fortunately I was able to purchase some of the great art that Barry brought along with him & I hope to post that up soon. That & a little something special. Those who were there know what I mean!!!!!!

Personally I was really surprised by the number of non legion sketches, and wide variety of books signed. Opened up my eyes a bit to Barry body of work. Empire is up for me next.

Thanks to all for making the 2 days so great, and fast I might add. Hope Barry makes it next year, and those who came can come again, and those who didn’t can make it next time!

OK, carpal tunnel is now setting in. Time to stop.

LLLater!

Chad

[ September 20, 2006, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: Ultra Boy ]

--------------------
UltraBoy

Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
That sounds cool.

Was anyone privy to any interesting or enlightening Legion-related discussions while at the con?

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
UBoy

Thanks for sharing these with us. Having seen Barry work like that at Bristol and a Con in London, I can confirm that that is just what the man is like. He never seems to stop and genuinely wants to get every one a sketch or something.

That WWII Cap is amazing. And like you I Loved the Power girl sketch, so much nicer to see her a shall we say thinner up top.

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marko
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marko   Email Marko         Edit/Delete Post     
Barry!

I want to thank you so much. The kids loved what you did for them. I am going to out myself as one of the guys who stood in line and watched for two days to get what I would call the, "Grail" of my Comic art. It was great meeting fellow Legion fans. It was a fun time watching the master at work.

Check out my comic gallery.

[URL=http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004345 ]My CAF Gallery[/URL]

Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marko
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marko   Email Marko         Edit/Delete Post     
Sorry. Wrong Website.

The Real Deal Gallery

Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Boy
Lovin the Art!

Now that the con report is out of the way, here are my thoughts.

Great to meet Longtime Lw'ers, Outdoor Miner, Fat Cramer, Stu, Lad Boy, & Querl Dox.

Thanks to Querl for bringing over some really cool convention sketches. Nice stuff.

And a special hello to Fat Cramer. It was a treat to run into you at the harbour on Monday. Made for a "post con" enjoyable afternoon.

Special props to Miner for being a upstanding and kind guy. A great representation of Legion fans.

Also a BIG welcome aboard roguelegionnaire & Marko! Hope you stick around awhile and share your thoughts (And any Legion art) on the Legion!

Everyone couldn't have been any nicer. And patient I might add.

Looking forward to the next one.

LLLater!

Chad aka. [Ultra Boy - Re-Imagined]

--------------------
UltraBoy

Monkey Eater Lad
Gorilla Griller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey Eater Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
*Cries* I wish I could have gone! Glad you guys had so much fun, met up, found some new members, and Barry avoided thumb-severing obstacles. Awesome sketches too!
From: Alameda, CA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
We wish you could have gone too! And everyone else, for that matter. It was a treat.

Thanks U-Boy for posting all those wonderful sketches and thanks of course to Barry for drawing them, non-stop (and managing to converse with people at the same time).

All the exhibitors & creators I met were really friendly and upbeat, even by the end of the day on Sunday. It must have been something of a marathon for them.

Matt Wagner did a quick sketch of Superman and Dean Haspiel did "Kraftwerk Bizarro" (it just came out that way [Confused] ) - these were small sketches for the CBLDF. I hope they continue that program because it looks like that's pretty much my comic art "collection" (in Chicago I got one by Carla Speed McNeil).

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Querl Dox
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Querl Dox   Email Querl Dox         Edit/Delete Post     
yeah, these 2 days have passed so fast! I wish i could have stayed longer, i had to rush out almost just after Barry finished my sketch, and i didn't like that.

I confirm that everybody was so nice and patient, it was really great, and looking at Barry sketching was even better. [Smile]

I really like the Timber Wolf one, it is absolutely beautiful!

I wish you could have gone too, MEL. It would have been great to meet you too. [Wink]

I'm already looking forward to next year.

[ September 14, 2006, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: Querl Dox ]

From: Saline, Michigan | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Matt Wagner did a quick sketch of Superman and Dean Haspiel did "Kraftwerk Bizarro" (it just came out that way [Confused] ) - these were small sketches for the CBLDF. I hope they continue that program because it looks like that's pretty much my comic art "collection" (in Chicago I got one by Carla Speed McNeil).

FC,

It seems like you have become a convention maven.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.