Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » A Look Back: Sensor Girl and the new Fatal Five (v.3, # 14-27) (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: A Look Back: Sensor Girl and the new Fatal Five (v.3, # 14-27)
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
These fourteen issues have a lot of my favorite moments from my Levitz's second LSH run. And Levitz's second LSH run is, overall, my favorite LSH run to date. So these are very special comics to me, and I'd like to share my thoughts on each one.

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES # 14 -- "Unto the New Generation"

Credits: Paul Levitz, writer -- Steve Lightle, penciler -- Larry Mahlstedt, inker -- Karen Berger, editor

Plot: For the first time in ages, the Legion is holding tryouts for new members. After a trial by fire against a Dark Circle saboteur, the newbies are chosen: Quislet, Magnetic Kid, Tellus, Polar Boy, and the mysterious Sensor Girl.

Thoughts: Let's start with the cover. I think it's one of the greatest LSH covers of all time. From Steve Lightle's elegant grouping of several characters to the perfectly balanced coloring, it is a thing of beauty. And not to be too hard on Lightle, but I've always felt that he is a much better cover artist than interior artist. The layout sense which has created many memorable single images is rarely in sight on the rather pedestrian storytelling of the panelled pages within. But there’s no denying Lightle’s talent for designing new characters – the cute Quislet in his miniature spaceship, the bizarre-looking but gentle Tellus (sort of a fish/ape hybrid), and most of all, Sensor Girl – I know a lot of people don’t like her costume, but I love it: the sinister mask, the cape, the blouse, the red-and-white patterns, and the way it proves that a female superhero can cover up and still look sexy.

Levitz’s story does what Levitz does best: take a crucial element of the Legion mythos, in this case, the open call for new members, and updates it for what was, at the time, state of the art, and still impresses today through sheer impeccable craft.

And finally, there is one more thing about this issue that is special to me on a personal level: this is the issue where Shadow Lass spends much of the issue wearing a strange helmet-like gizmo. She then removes it, TA-DAH, SHADOW LASS HAS LONG HAIR AGAIN. I cannot stress how much this means to me. Shadow Lass is my favorite Legion member and I always want her to look her best. The short hair she had for most of the Levitz/Giffen issues has its fans, but I’m sure as hell not one of them. Shady’s long hair in this era wasn’t perfect – it did have too much 80s bigness – but it’s long and that’s what matters the most to me.

The number on the cover may be # 14 instead of # 1, but for me, this is where my favorite Legion era starts.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
This is one of my fave issues too Stealth, from the bitchy comments by Tinya about Mentalla to the fun of Quislet to Shady's expanding hair (how did she manage to fit all that under that small hat?) to the introduction of really alien legionnaires to Jed Rikanes groovy boots to the mystery of Sensor Girl (and I agree, she looked magnificant)and finally to Comet Quenn getting rejected (Hoorah!). This is a great issue!

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
Great summary of the issue. I also am a big fan of the cover, the story, and the design elements Mr. Lightle introduced (the Sensor Girl costume is classic and Tellus was the most interesting alien life form introduced in LSH titles since Validus. PS - at the time, I was rooting for the twin fish for some reason...).

This issue had all the requirements of a truly great comic, and still reads well today.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I honestly see this storyline as one of the highlights in the baxter series.

Personally I loved the new Fatal Five. Tharok always looked silly for me. Mano did as well to a degree. So many comics TODAY try to remake the past and I just like the approach of using the best elements and updating with something new.

Then you have Mentalla whose story was in the classic Legion mold.

Add that with the excitement of new characters (Sensor Girl) and her mystery. Also in classic Legion style. Everybody thinking she was Supergirl and turned out to be a very capable Projectra.

Oh man that rocked. [Smile]

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
One of my favorite issues!

I love the reaction shot from Blok when Shady takes off her helmet, and Polar Boy's casual 'flunking' of Energy Lad or whomever (who knew he had such attitude?), and Mon-El sniping at Dev-Em about becoming a Legionnaire (and then twisting the truth and telling his team-mates that Dev-Em was 'happy where he is!' when Sun Boy, I think it was, pointed out that he'd be a useful addition to the team!). It seemed like so much was being 'set up' for later use, like the glare Polar Boy received from the applicant he 'flunked,' or Mon-El's deceiving his friends to maintain his solo status as 'big gun' and keep any sort of Kryptonian competition off the radar.

Timber Wolf 'testing' Power Boy, the bizarre aliens in the background (the floating fish were interesting looking and made me wonder what their powers were), all sorts of good stuff.

Lightle, IMO, is the best artist the Legion has had in about 20 years. My only quibble at all, and it's a minor one, is that his male faces sometimes look effeminate (as if they all plucked their eyebrows or something). Still, he drew the Legion well-lit and clean, like I would expect the world to look in the 30th century, not all dark and disfigured and covered in dirt, like a lot of the stuff that came after.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
General comments: This storyline ended with one of Levitz two very-best choreographed battles, and the latter issues especially remain favorites. I am going to follow along with Stealth's reviews and re-read each issue as she goes along. I'll have to pull out # 14 tonight-- FUN!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
General comments: This storyline ended with one of Levitz two very-best choreographed battles, and the latter issues especially remain favorites. I am going to follow along with Stealth's reviews and re-read each issue as she goes along. I'll have to pull out # 14 tonight-- FUN!

Oh Yes!

Uh, can someone tell me, which box I stored this in? Sigh

I really need to label the boxes.

I love the fishies.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Found it.

Get out the translator. These issues give me reason to read slowly.

Lightle is comfort food for me. His and the post 5YG Jan are my iconic versions when I think of the character. The characters and the amount of story telling in his art just fascinate me.

Shady's "hat." Has there ever been a thread on Legion sight gags? This has to be one of the best ever.

The Try-outs. The characters that won out all played a significant role in Legion. I'm not sure which ones would have had staying power, all except Polar Boy, relatively short lived. The tryout characters were portrayed as young and inexperienced with different levels of confidence. I'm not sure how "realistic" tha is considering these are to be universe level powers and saviors, however I enjoyed the characterisations.

However, probably the most non-sensible tryout ever? The results didn't seem to follow from the action shown. Mentalla had a great tryout, the "character flaws," left off camera. Based upon on-camera, Comet Queen didn't seem a likely candidate for the next round.

The cover: I wasn't as enamored with it as others here.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Thank you all for this wonderful feedback. Please keep it coming.

quote:
Originally posted by Harbinger:
and finally to Comet Quenn getting rejected (Hoorah!).

[ROTFLMAO]

She really was annoying -- if only someone had told Levitz that the joke had worn thin very quickly. That said, I did like the whole 80s Valley Girl thing that inspired the character. Growing up outside the States during the 80s, I had this idealized fantasy in my head about moving to the States and becoming a Valley Girl. Ahh, the naivete of youth...

quote:
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
PS - at the time, I was rooting for the twin fish for some reason...).

Yeah, me too. They were colored so nicely, with orange scales and bright green eyes. I wonder if they were in Levitz's script or if they're something that Lightle came up with. Either way, I think Levitz should have kept them around.

quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
Personally I loved the new Fatal Five. Tharok always looked silly for me. Mano did as well to a degree.

I agree about Tharok, but I like Mano a lot; there's something about him...the first time I saw the original Fatal Five was on the cover of a Legion issue for sale at a convenience store. There were captions for each member and Mano's was, "His touch means death." I don't know why, but I thought that was really creepy/cool. (Good thing I was too scared to buy the issue, though, because I found out later it was one of the Gerry Conway issues.)

quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
So many comics TODAY try to remake the past and I just like the approach of using the best elements and updating with something new.

Then you have Mentalla whose story was in the classic Legion mold.

Agree 100% on both of those points.

quote:
Originally posted by Set:
he drew the Legion well-lit and clean, like I would expect the world to look in the 30th century, not all dark and disfigured and covered in dirt, like a lot of the stuff that came after.

Yeah, the grimy future has become such a cliche. It's well past time for the pendulum to swing the other way.

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
This storyline ended with one of Levitz two very-best choreographed battles, and the latter issues especially remain favorites.

Totally agree. The all-time best portrayal of the Emerald Empress IMO. I can't wait to discuss her scenes in those issues.

quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
I really need to label the boxes.

As do I with my boxes.

Just as soon as I finally finish alphabetizing my comics...at the rate I'm going, sometime around 2050. [Embarrassed]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephbarton
Possibly an evil Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephbarton   Email stephbarton         Edit/Delete Post     
Love this part of the Baxter run. I think my second complete arc was the "who is Sensor Girl" storyline and it helped make me a HUGE Sensor Girl fan. Unfortunately, from what I can make out she doesn't fair so well on the coolness factor after the Fatal Five is taken down.

Oh well, I love these issues. The art is nice and clean, the stories are good and the new characters work for the most part. I was bummed how poorly Polar Boy would be written later, judging from what few issues I have after he's elected leader it looks like he was not one of Levitz's favorites. Quislet was somewhat annoying, but the other Legionnaires' reactions to him were always enjoyable. Tellus was a good character and used well.

As for the new Fatal Five, having read some old Legion stuff you see how tried and true the "rejected applicant turns on Legion" theme was, but it works beautifully in the Fatal Five storyline.

Sensor Girl, the betrayal, and Emerald Empress all combine to make this my favorite Levitz-era story arc.

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!

Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I was disappointed that Sensor Girl turned out to be Projectra. After the powerful finale of the LSV War, it was way too soon for Jeckie to return to the Legion. (Bad memories, a planet to rule, and all that. Having her planet dethrone her was way too convenient.) For me, the revelation ruined the sterling mystery surrounding her identity. It also jeopardized the sense of growing up and change that Levitz had carefully woven into the Legion. If any member had sufficient reason to move on, it was Projectra.

Furthermore, the revelation overshadowed Mentalla's heroism and sacrifice. The latter was probably one of the most unexpected plot twists in Legion history, yet its impact was muted by the big reveal.

But that period still had significant highlights. Tellus became my favorite of the new recruits and, with the founders out of the way, there was the sense that the Legion was charting a bold, new course. Overall, it was a good time to be a Legion fan.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
You know as a kid I collected these monthly from 7-11 or Waldenbooks. I missed the issue Sensor Girl's identity was revealed. It sold out it seems. I had to wait for the following month to find out who she was. [Frown] I was bummed. Later on in life I got that back issue.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
Who is Sensor Girl inspired me to go back and reread ALL my Legion comics from day one. We were told there would be clues and I didn't want to miss a single one...I was just as surprised as everyone else though...except maybe Timberwolf, "No one could do all that."
heh
Brainiac's comment on that statement was priceless.

This was a pretty strong era for the Legion, even my 'Marvelous' friends were interested in what was going on in the LSH. Levitz was trying hard to write around the restraints of the "Adult Legion" as set in place by Shooter so many years before and added some depth to the mythos that still resonates with the fans.

I loved this era.

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
Dang it, now you're making me want to read it and I'm not really a pre-boot kinda gal! Poop. I guess I'll have to go scouring for back issues... after I finish the New Warriors, that is. [Wink]

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Cali you GOTTA read the Great Levitz Era at least, from circa LSH (vol 2) 285 to about 325 (Tales/LSH) and the entire (Baxter) Vol. 3, 1-63. In my mind Legion's never been better than it was throughout that era! An it's usually pretty reasonable on eBay!

REQUIRED READING FOR ANY LSH FAN!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.