Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » A Look Back: Sensor Girl and the new Fatal Five (v.3, # 14-27) (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: A Look Back: Sensor Girl and the new Fatal Five (v.3, # 14-27)
Dain
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dain   Email Dain         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, if Matthew sees this he may be have a theory on how his power works. Exactly.

Nemesis Kid was indifferent as a villain, compared to many other Legion villains, but because of his involvement in the Karate Kid/Projectra story he was spotlighted and we got to see the psyche of a minor villain like him. This added some depth to him, as a character, even though he remained rather boring as a foe.

From: Somewhere in the Multiverse | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
The way I see Nemesis Kid's powers is that he's got something like Ultra Boy's ultra-energy. The difference is, Jo's powers are standard transmission and Nemesis Kid's powers are automatic transmission. Jo has to pick a specific power from a small list, Nemesis Kid just has to pick an opponent and the energy configures itself to whatever he needs.

So, the way I figure it, Projectra can fool Nemesis Kid, but she can't fool his power; it knows perfectly well that she can use illusion and it can give him the ability to disregard any sensory input she generates. But Duo Damsel can step right through the one loophole his power has: she really is two opponents, and his power, unlike Fezzik, can't fight groups, only individuals.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dain
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dain   Email Dain         Edit/Delete Post     
It sounds very plausible, Matthew. Thanks. [Smile]
Duo Damsel is two opponents literally, even though she's more like one person with more than one bodies. If it can be said that Nem's power could be "confused" Luornu proved it.

From: Somewhere in the Multiverse | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Matthew E:
The difference is, Jo's powers are standard transmission and Nemesis Kid's powers are automatic transmission.

Wonderful analogy.

I also agree with your explanations, regarding Duo Damsel and Projectra's abilities.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Funny that the thread stopped at 63 posts, when the Baxter run stopped at...63 issues.

Anyhow...

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES # 17 -- "A New Beginning"

Credits: Paul Levitz, writer -- Greg LaRocque, penciler -- Larry Mahlstedt, inker -- Karen Berger, editor

Plot: Dream Girl predicts the death of R.J. Brande just as Brande's rival, Leland McCauley, is scheming to have his underlings kill Brande. The Legion foils McCauley's plan, and Brande decides to change his identity and start over. So, in a crazy way, Dream Girl was right.

Thoughts: A rather simple story by Levitz standards, almost a throwback to earlier eras, but without the charm. However, it does two things very well: A) It writes Brande out of the book without resorting to melodrama and without betraying the character, and B) It puts Dream Girl in the spotlight, almost always fun when Levitz is writing her (I say "almost" because I hate the mind-slavery that overtook Dream Girl late in Levitz's run; I cope with it by chalking it up to an error in Levitz's judgement.)

[ October 31, 2007, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: Stealth ]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I recall some of Larouque's best is coming up. Is this the issue where Jan and Shvaughn go to Trom? That I recall was on beauty of an issue and it would improve the cartoon is they took some of the characterization of the females from this Takron story, both Ayla and Vi.
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
I recall some of Larouque's best is coming up.

It sure is. I think he kept steadily improving up to his exit from the book, which is why I was surprised when I found out that he exited due to burnout.

quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
Is this the issue where Jan and Shvaughn go to Trom?

That would be the final issue in this block, # 27.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES # 18: "Has Anyone Noticed a Crisis Going On?"

Credits: Paul Levitz, writer -- Greg LaRocque, penciller -- Larry Mahlstedt, inker -- Karen Berger, editor

Note: This issue ties into the mega-crossover Crisis On Infinite Earths.

Plot: As the Crisis brings death and destruction to the 30th Century, Brainiac 5 is prodded by Rond Vidar to find a way to deal with it. Meanwhile, the prison planet Takron-Galtos is threatened by walls of anti-matter, and a team of Legionnaires struggles to evacuate the prisoners before disaster strikes.

Thoughts: Levitz really finds a way to make the mega-crossover work for him, resulting in one of my favorite issues of his Legion run. I've always liked the way he wrote Ayla (I wish the issue that spotlighted her, the one right after the LSV arc, had been better drawn) and here she effectively shows a take-charge attitude as the Legion deals with the riot on Takron-Galtos; the scene where she saves the naive Magnetic Kid from a sneaky prisoner is a classic. Levitz also finds an ideal use for the Infinite Man, arguably the only good villain he ever created. LaRocque has some great moments here, especially the scene of Validus breaking out of a humongous cube of Inertron; he still hasn't developed a panel-to-panel consistency, but he's making great strides considering the relatively short amount of time he's been on this book. And Levitz's best line in this issue goes to Dream Girl: "Element Lad sending an alarm from the Time Institute? Did Brainy's latest scheme blow up in his face again?"

--------------------

Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
At least Duo Damsel's reasons for joining the conspiracy were clear. I never did understand Saturn Girl's involvement.[QUOTE]Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
[QB]

It probably stemmed from the fact that she as one of the legion founders she helped recruit him to the legion. And that she was inspired by him to be who she was.

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Superboy-Supergirl:
At least Duo Damsel's reasons for joining the conspiracy were clear. I never did understand Saturn Girl's involvement.[QUOTE]Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
[QB]

It probably stemmed from the fact that she as one of the legion founders she helped recruit him to the legion. And that she was inspired by him to be who she was.

Perhaps, but why not involve Cosmic Boy and/or Lightning Lad? Why of the three founders would only Saturn Girl have a reason to be involved in the conspiracy?

The only connection I can think of is (as someone once mentioned), Superman was shown dating Saturn Woman, IIRC, but that version of the Adult Legion had already been retconned away by Levitz.

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
heh she was the one carrying the casket at the time of the vow.

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Legion of Super-Heroes # 19: “NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED” and “FREEDOM OF CHOICE”

Credits: Paul Levitz, writer – Greg LaRocque, penciller (1st story) – Larry Mahlstedt, inker (1st story) – Chuck Patton, penciller (2nd story) – Mike DeCarlo, inker (2nd story) – Karen Berger, editor

Plot (1st story): Phantom Girl, Ultra Boy, Chameleon Boy, Shriking Violet, and Element Lad – the same team who destroyed a Sun-Eater created by a Controller a several issues earlier (# 7-8) – are teleported away by the same controller to face the consequences. Namely, the Sun-Eater had been created to destroy Tyrazz, a moving mechanized warworld bent on conquering anything in its path (and the homeworld of LSH enemy Tyr.)

Plot (2nd story): Invisible Kid II foils a robbery.

Thoughts: The first story is the first half of a fairly routine 2-parter that is saved by the art. By this point, the LaRocque/Mahlstedt team was really beginning to jell, often recalling vintage Byrne/Austin X-Men art, especially in the awe-inspiring renditions of the warworld. The second story stars Invisible Kid II, or as I like to call him, Cupcake Head, and therefore has never been of any interest to me.

--------------------

Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
This (the first story) was inspired by fan comments about Legion destroying something they really didn't understand, as I revall.

For me, this story made Tyr more than a bluster type one-shot, into a solid character worth developing. Unfortunately, I think he and the planet was not visited again?

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
Why of the three founders would only Saturn Girl have a reason to be involved in the conspiracy?

She's the only one the conspirators couldn't hide from? Not only can she read minds, but she's also one of the four smartest Legionnaires (along with Brainy, Dreamy and Cham).
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

quote:
Originally posted by Set:
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
Why of the three founders would only Saturn Girl have a reason to be involved in the conspiracy?

She's the only one the conspirators couldn't hide from? Not only can she read minds, but she's also one of the four smartest Legionnaires (along with Brainy, Dreamy and Cham).
That explains why they might want her to be involved, but not why SHE would want to be involved.

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.