Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » A Look Back: Sensor Girl and the new Fatal Five (v.3, # 14-27) (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: A Look Back: Sensor Girl and the new Fatal Five (v.3, # 14-27)
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
This (the first story) was inspired by fan comments about Legion destroying something they really didn't understand, as I revall.

For me, this story made Tyr more than a bluster type one-shot, into a solid character worth developing. Unfortunately, I think he and the planet was not visited again?

I agree. That's why this story stands out to me. It showed that the Legionnaires, in attempting to do the right thing, did something they didn't fully understand and had to reap the consequences of that decision.

I like my heroes to be human, and being human means making mistakes and lapses of judgment, and sometimes being too full of oneself. The Legionnaires' actions certainly demonstated these foibles. How humbling it must have been for them to have to account for their actions.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
Speaking of The Legion of Action comics...I'm gonna suggest that their adventures stopped with issue 18 anything beyond that is pre-crisis/post-crisis legion.

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Legion of Super-Heroes # 20: "TO CONTROL A WORLD" and "NIGHT OF MADNESS"

Credits: Paul Levitz, writer -- Greg LaRocque, penciller (1st story) -- Keith Giffen, penciller (2nd story) -- Larry Mahlstedt, inker (1st story) -- Mike DeCarlo, inker (2nd story) -- Karen Berger, editor

Plot (1st story): Will the Legionnaires find a way to stop Tyrazz without destroying it?

Plot (2nd story): Portents of doom turn out to be a surprise Halloween party.

Thoughts: The warworld 2-parter concludes, and while it is well-drawn, and does raise some worthy themes about power, responsibility, and the sanctity of life, I think it's just a little too old-fashioned for a Baxter era story; it would fit nicely among the Adventure era stories, though. The backup story, starring Nura and Mysa, is an improvement on the previous issue's backup -- it's slight but cute, and DeCarlo's inks make Giffen halfway tolerable to me.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephbarton
Possibly an evil Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephbarton   Email stephbarton         Edit/Delete Post     
Actually, I remember really disliking that backup, I found it really hard to follow what was going on and thus the reveal at the end totally fell flat to me. As for the main story, I really enjoyed that little arc, I felt it had some nice sci-fi moments and enjoyed the Legion's ability to think creatively around the problem. I also liked that fact that Tinya and Violet got to be used for something productive, don't see that too often.

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!

Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Interesting comment about the "Baxter" versus "Adventure" feel. While I wouldn't use the term TOO old fashioned simply because it comes of a bit negative, I certainly see and feel it now that you've mentioned it. It really would have fit in quite nicely with the Adventure run.

Good call.

Loved the back-up.

Yeah the "art." My visual cortext had to rapidly evolve in order for me to decipher the goings on with Giffen's experiment and that evolution hasn't always been successful. I do find, there are a lot of details that I miss when looking at the art, not brought to my attention until some other reader mentioned them on a message board.

Over the years though, I do find that it has grown on me.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by stephbarton:
Actually, I remember really disliking that backup, I found it really hard to follow what was going on and thus the reveal at the end totally fell flat to me.

quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
Yeah the "art." My visual cortext had to rapidly evolve in order for me to decipher the goings on with Giffen's experiment and that evolution hasn't always been successful.

I guess I feel that most of Giffen's other work from this era is so bad, that this backup looked good in comparison. The next time Giffen and DeCarlo worked together was in Baxter # 50, the battle against the Time Trapper at the end of Conspiracy, and DeCarlo couldn't save the day this time -- everyone looked like they were made of watery clay, and there were almost no backgrounds.

--------------------

Rusty Shackleford
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Shackleford   Email Rusty Shackleford         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
You know as a kid I collected these monthly from 7-11 or Waldenbooks. I missed the issue Sensor Girl's identity was revealed. It sold out it seems. I had to wait for the following month to find out who she was. [Frown] I was bummed. Later on in life I got that back issue.

Heh, and I thought my fate was awful. I did manage to pick up the issue where Sensor Girl's ID is revealed. Unfortunately, it was the last issue I could buy before leaving the place we lived when I was in sixth grade (with a LCS within walking distance of home). Spent the summer at Grandma's in the Land without Comic Book Shops, and since Legion was a Baxter series, I couldn't get it at the local mom and pops. I wasn't 'til our family got settled just outside Seattle that I was able to get the next issue. Four months later!

--------------------
Welcome to Legion World!
All credits accepted!
No Super-Rejects allowed!

From: Palm Bay FL | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES # 21: "Obsession" and "Training Session"

Credits: Paul Levitz, writer -- Greg LaRocque, penciller (1st story) -- Paris Cullins, penciller (2nd story) -- Larry Mahlstedt & Mike DeCarlo, inkers (1st story) -- Gary Martin, inker (2nd story) -- Karen Berger, editor

Plot (1st Story): As the mystery of Sensor Girl deepens, she keeps herself busy. She confronts the obsessively suspicious Brainy and temporarily blinds him (later he comes to the conclusion that she's Supergirl.) She then quells a riot aboard the ark transporting the prisoners who survived the destruction of Takron-Galtos, though she and the rest of the Legionnaires on board are unable to prevent the Emerald Empress and Persuader from escaping (right after she violently rejected the Empress's offer to join the new Fatal Five.) Meanwhile, Shadow Lass confides in Phantom Girl that Mon-El is developing a resistance to the anti-lead serum that has been keeping him alive.

Plot (2nd Story): Wildfire runs Quislet through a training session. Quislet leaves Wildfire frustrated and without a containment suit.

Thoughts: At last, the Emerald Empress enters the picture and, after years of being little more than the token female of the Fatal Five, she's become more intimidating, confident, and cold-blooded than anyone could have ever imagined. For a writer who had problems creating villains, Levitz sure knew how to re-invent other writers' villains. And the increasingly sinister Sensor Girl (nowhere is that creepy mask more fitting than in this story) does seem to be walking a very fine line between good and evil. Reading this issue knowing that she'll turn out to be Projectra makes the regalness of her rejection of the Empress ("You OFFEND me.") look like a clue. The light-hearted backup story is a strong contrast to the darkness of the lead story, and the relationship of the not-so-oddly paired Wildfire and Quislet would evolve nicely in over the rest of Levitz's run.

--------------------

Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
this was the issue i was alternating that Sensor Girl was Either Kara or Shvaghun. (who knew that Shvaghan wasn't a real girl at all LOL)

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

She was a real girl to me, because I consider all of TMK's work to be the superhero comic equivalent of a crackhead's ramble, and therefore not canon.

--------------------

stephbarton
Possibly an evil Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephbarton   Email stephbarton         Edit/Delete Post     
LOL

As you can probably guess I really enjoyed this issue. I remember how Brainy was drawn and thinking that here was a guy who was going to wig out any second, I think it was his longer hair, it always looked like he had been running his hands through it in frustration.

Always enjoyed this portrayal of the Empress (as I said a thousand times) and was greatly devestated when I picked up some postboot issues where she was just some serial killer, the arrogance wasn't regal, it was just stupid.

Also really like Sensor Girl's/Projectra's haughtiness in this time period, which is probably why I'm enjoying Shooter's Projectra in the current LOSH cause it's all there.

Looking back on these issues I always found it funny how so many people thought it was Supergirl, I mean, it kinda makes sense, but its the same as the people who thought Supernova was Kon-El, their personalities and carragies were nothing alike. So maybe they would 'bring' the character back, but it would hardly be the same character. Then again, I wasn't reading at the time (heck, I was still a baby at this time) so who knows.

This backup I found cute. The art was very easy to follow and understand (and the plot wasn't that complicated) and I thought it was a good way to show a bit more of a newer character when they didn't have a lot to do with the main story. Although with Quislet there really wasn't a lot to explore...

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!

Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

quote:
Originally posted by stephbarton:

really like Sensor Girl's/Projectra's haughtiness in this time period, which is probably why I'm enjoying Shooter's Projectra in the current LOSH cause it's all there.

I like the Threeboot Projectra, too; it's not surprisng that Shooter is focusing on her, since he created the Preboot Projectra, but I'm really glad he is, because Mark Waid & Barry Kitson gave her an impressive introduction and then forgot about her.

And with her recent actions, Projectra may need a second identity soon. Hmmm...Threeboot Sensor Girl, I'd like that.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Legion of Super-Heroes # 22: "DEAD END"

Credits: Paul Levitz, writer -- Greg LaRocque, penciller -- Mike DeCarlo, inker -- Karen Berger, editor

Plot: Universo, who has long been disguised as the vice-president of Earth, implements the latest phase of his master plan by having another of his mentally enslaved followers, the Restorer, commit seemingly random destruction. Meanwhile, the new prison planet Labyrinth is now fully operational thanks to the Legion, and Shadow Lass confirms her worst fears about Mon-El's condition when she eavesdrops on him talking to Computo.

Thoughts: This issue takes a side-trip in order to illuminate the book's longest-running subplot, going all the way back to issue # 10. It helps set up Levitz's Universo arc, which will offically start in # 32 and is arguably the last really good story of the Levitz era (I'm currently considering the possibility of stretching this thread past # 27 in order to cover the Universo arc.) We also get the first hints of Ayla and Vi's attraction to each other, very progressive and admirable, but I've really never been a big fan of the way Vi was re-invented during the first Levitz/Giffen run; she was kind of like the godmother of tediously sneering "tough cookies" like Kate Spencer and Jessica Jones. We also have the setup for the next issue's spotlight on Mon-El. Greg LaRocque's extreme closeup of Shadow Lass facing a terrifying future is exquisite, in fact LaRocque shines throughout the entire issue, showing his masterful sense of scale and giving the one-dimensional Restorer some kick, thanks to a cool Kirbytech suit of armor and well-staged action sequences. This is the first LaRocque issue inked entirely by Mike DeCarlo, who will shortly thereafter become the permanent inker for the rest of LaRocque's run. DeCarlo seems to be very unpopular among Legion fans, but while he can often by overbusy, I actually prefer his approach to Larry Mahlstedt's spartan line. DeCarlo also made Giffen palatable to me in the first six issues of the Omega Men, but that was probably because he was working mostly from breakdowns.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Legion of Super-Heroes # 23: "BACK HOME IN HELL!"

Credits: Paul Levitz, writer and co-plotter - Steve Lightle, guest penciller and co-plotter - Greg LaRocque, pencilling assist - Mike DeCarlo, inker - Karen Berger, editor

Plot: The ailing Mon-El has a breakdown and is forced back into the Phantom Zone while the Legionnaires search for a permanent cure...if there is one.

Thoughts: The last issue before the Sensor Girl/Fatal Five subplot takes over as the A-story, this is yet another story with absolutely nothing seriously wrong, but whose self-containment and lack of epic gradeur just leaves it as an exercise of treading water in my opinion (or, perhaps, a case of Levitz desperately trying to come up with some way to put Mon-El in the spotlight and falling back on the most obvious option.) Nice character bits for Tellus, though, and Lightle's layout are much improved (unless LaRocque's art assist included contributing to the layouts.)

--------------------

cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
I really wish I had these issues in front of me right now. I have very fond memories of them, but who knows how I'd feel rereading them. It's been half past forever, y'know?

I did figure out pretty early on that Jeckie was Sensor, and I'm still kind of pleased with myself. I was raised by one of the planet's biggest mystery hounds (my Mom [Big Grin] ), but it's always been rare for me to actually have any skill at solving the damn things.

I remember that Ayla really grated on me around this time, but I did eventually come around to liking her.

[That "lalalala I'm not listening I can't hear you" is me anytime people complain about IK2/Jacques. I'm sorry, but that's like complaining about cute kitten macros and Blue Note Hard Bop and three-day weekends. It doesn't, uh, compute. Sorry. I don't know if we have a fingers-in-ears-not-listening icon. If not, we need one.]

As for Nemesis Kid, one of the best things the animated series ever did was simplify his whole shtick: "I neutralize super-powers." End of story.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.