Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » A Look Back: Sensor Girl and the new Fatal Five (v.3, # 14-27) (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: A Look Back: Sensor Girl and the new Fatal Five (v.3, # 14-27)
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
The teases that Sensor Girl was Kara was not a deliberate bait-and-switch at first. She *was* originally Kara Zor-El, as discussed in this interview with artist Steve Lightle.

An excerpt:

"I believe the original idea was that even she didn't know her true identity, and that she had lost all her Kryptonian powers except those pertaining to her senses. This is why, in the early appearances of the character, she appears to have powers consistent with X-ray vision, heat vision, etc. ....

"The Kara hints BECAME a red herring, but it was our intention, at the outset, to have Kara in the Sensor Girl costume."

Jeannette Kahn put the kabosh on it, Levitz came up with Plan B (Jeckie), and the rest is history. I sometimes wonder how differently the rest of Levitz's run (and Brainy's character arc) would have been had he been allowed to save that one piece of pre-Crisis history.

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tromium:
I sometimes wonder how differently the rest of Levitz's run (and Brainy's character arc) would have been had he been allowed to save that one piece of pre-Crisis history.

I actually think that things might have happened for the best. To me, Projectra was never as interesting as she was when she was Sensor Girl, and if it had really been Supergirl, who knows how she might have been messed up by the rest of the DC writers wanting to use her for this or for that?

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
"Jeannette Kahn put the kabosh on it, Levitz came up with Plan B (Jeckie), and the rest is history. I sometimes wonder how differently the rest of Levitz's run (and Brainy's character arc) would have been had he been allowed to save that one piece of pre-Crisis history."

KAHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(THINK KIRK IN STAR TREK 2 THE WRATH OF KHAN)

i was one of those who was hoping against hope Sensor Girl was Kara...heck even in the reveal issue they had it seem she was she was blonde on it and Emerald Empress took her mask off! boooooooooo i say to Kahn booooooooooooooo i say...especially when other writers soon thereafter started to reintroduce precrisis elements back to the status quo so soon after Crisis was over. but to contiune... KAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!

[ October 09, 2007, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Matthew E:
I actually think that things might have happened for the best. To me, Projectra was never as interesting as she was when she was Sensor Girl, and if it had really been Supergirl, who knows how she might have been messed up by the rest of the DC writers wanting to use her for this or for that?

Oh, I'm quite sure Kara would've been messed up eventually but her continued existence (for the next year or two at a minimum) might very well have precluded the Pocket Universe Superboy retcon and Matrix Supergirl -- both I see as highly untenable and undesirable.

Though it's certainly not my intention to derail Stealth's thread with the mechanics of dismantling the Legion's Earth 1 legacy, it's very difficult to ignore what's happening behind the scenes of these stories. Once we get past issue #18, the entire shape of their universe begins to change.

I agree Jeckie was stronger and more interesting as Sensor Girl than Projectra -- at first. But as time went on I lost patience with her weeping widow act and wished she had remained on Orando. She was the first of Levitz's trio of "Downer Girls", later joined by Luornu and Shady. As I see it, anyway.

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I have to agree that Plan B of Jeckie as Sensor Girl worked out great.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tromium:
I agree Jeckie was stronger and more interesting as Sensor Girl than Projectra -- at first. But as time went on I lost patience with her weeping widow act and wished she had remained on Orando. She was the first of Levitz's trio of "Downer Girls", later joined by Luornu and Shady. As I see it, anyway.

It's strange that, even though Levitz is my favorite Legion writer, I can't stand the way he portrayed my favorite Legion member, Shady, all single-minded devotion to Mon-El and bitchiness toward others. And while I'm not much of a Luornu fan, I think that making her one of the conspirators was a terrible idea, and it also bothers me that the final chapter of Conspiracy set the mold for the series of horrible short hairdos that Luornu has had for the past two decades (I really loved the hairdo that Cockrum gave her back in the day, and I wish it had stayed intact.)

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
well to be fair he did at least give Shady a personality that was more than she was given b4 he penned her. And with great bitchiness with shady comes great gossiper with Quislet as the Sensor Girl story develops.

--------------------

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

Originally posted by Stealth:
And while I'm not much of a Luornu fan, I think that making her one of the conspirators was a terrible idea, and it also bothers me that the final chapter of Conspiracy set the mold for the series of horrible short hairdos that Luornu has had for the past two decades (I really loved the hairdo that Cockrum gave her back in the day, and I wish it had stayed intact.)

I thought having Duo Damsel part of the conspiracy was a great idea. Most the Legionnaires had a reason to love Superboy and get revenge but none more than her (& Mon-El).

quote:

Originally posted by Superboy-Supergirl:
well to be fair he did at least give Shady a personality that was more than she was given b4 he penned her. And with great bitchiness with shady comes great gossiper with Quislet as the Sensor Girl story develops.

Agreed. I've seen people here complain that Levitz made many of the characters 2-dimensional. Well that was a step up from 1 dimensional. And no offense to the great Mr. Shooter but I believe the members back then had a very cookie-cutter similiar personality. Sure some didn't but for the most part I think they did.

When you have 20 something characters it's hard to make each one be three dimensional all the time.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Sensor Girl really came into her own as this arc progressed, and the later issues have some truly memorable scenes. However, I certainly agree that it's a bit flat at the outset - since I didn't really remember most of the issues covered so far. Perhaps it's only in comparison to the later story that these seem pale, or more of a set up for something bigger.

I didn't know they had intended Sensor Girl to be Kara - that certainly provides lots of speculative, alternate timeline fodder!

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Getting close to one of my favorite reads in the entire series.

At his point, I really don't think much advantage was being taken of the Baxter. It seemed to me the same art, without pixilated colors.

A "weeping widow" act from Jeckie, I don't recall. Perhaps it will come to me as we read on but I can see it an issue. Who ever gets over the death of a spouse without repercussions on the personality. I certainly don't recall Jeckie ever portrayed as "weak."

Can anyone pinpoint Levitz' rewrite of the character from Kara to Jeckie? Some of the early feats of Sensor Girl I would have difficulty assigning to Kara. Darkening a room on Takron Galtros wasn't it? We've had the discussions of whether it made more sense that Jeckie's projections were physical manipulation of light or command of mental perception. Command of mental perception would be a reasonable explanation for being able to darken a room lit up by the emerald eye as well as many of the other feats presented.

Ultimately, I like the way it panned out and I think even the early issues for me, reread better knowing this is Queen Projectra rather than Supergirl.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Superboy-Supergirl:

I don't care! I still don't like the bitchy personality!

EDIT: Sorry if that reply comes across as...well...bitchy, but she's my favorite character and I have very fixed ideas about how I think she should be and sometimes I get so passionately defensive I lose sight of my social skills.

[ October 10, 2007, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Stealth ]

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
I thought having Duo Damsel part of the conspiracy was a great idea. Most the Legionnaires had a reason to love Superboy and get revenge but none more than her (& Mon-El).

If she had stayed behind and monitored the rest of the conspirators, MAYBE I could have accepted it. I think it was very foolish of her to go to the end of time with them. There is no way that her power could have any offensive capabilities against the Time Trapper.

And I'll NEVER accept that haircut.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Sensor Girl really came into her own as this arc progressed, and the later issues have some truly memorable scenes. However, I certainly agree that it's a bit flat at the outset - since I didn't really remember most of the issues covered so far. Perhaps it's only in comparison to the later story that these seem pale, or more of a set up for something bigger.

This story arc did the opposite of what a lot of modern-day story arcs do -- it got better and better as it went along, whereas modern arcs are usually great setup, gradual loss of momentum, and lame ending. I often wonder what could possibly be afflicting modern writers? Levitz himself showed symptoms of it when he wrote that JSA arc recently.

--------------------

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Reread "Baptism" last night and a few things surprised me. Rond telling Brainy to pull himself together because people were looking - was this his own embarrassment at his friend's display of emotion or was he playing on Brainy's usual self-consciousness to get him to snap out of the misery?

The other thing was that the baptism was clearly a Christian ceremony, with the crucifix pictured. Later in the series, we see Shady holding a small crucifix on a chain as she cries over the severely injured Mon-el. I hadn't remembered the Ranzz baptism and don't think there was another reference to them being Christians. (Tasmia, of course, went on to be a nun in 5YL - not specified as a Christian order, but I assumed it was based on the earlier scene.)

Dr. Chaseer - I'm sorry she didn't become a regular supporting character. We only saw her a second time and she never made it into 5YL.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

its ok stealth we all have our own views of how a character should be [Smile] and be bitchy all you want...just dont go all stealth wanna breed with you mode ...that's just hurtful!

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.