Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » A Look Back: Sensor Girl and the new Fatal Five (v.3, # 14-27) (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: A Look Back: Sensor Girl and the new Fatal Five (v.3, # 14-27)
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
The Sensor Girl reveal was one of the great moments in Legion history. The set up issues were well paced and the suspense was at its peak when the reveal finally occurred. Having it occur in the midst of a battle with the new Fatal Five added to the suspense. The payoff was great.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duck458
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duck458   Email duck458         Edit/Delete Post     
I hope that the "Showcase Presents" series will feature the Baxter run. Thanks Stealth for bringing back fond memories; good times, goood times.

--------------------
So what.

From: Harrisburg, PA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
I don't think anyone ever said Levitz was 'weak on new characters'. What has been said, even by Levitz himself, is that he wasn't so great at creating new *villains*.

And since he pretty much dispatched most of the major LSH foes, that left the opposition pretty thin.

Oh, I didn't read that here, ML. Definitely on a few other boards/sites, though.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
LEGION OF SUPERHEROES # 26 - "Illusion"

Credits: Paul Levitz, writer - Greg LaRocque, penciller - Mike DeCarlo, inker - Karen Berger, editor

Plot: All-out war between the Legion and the Fatal Five! During a lull, Projectra explains that she agreed with the Great Council of Orando on a journey of penance, with the Sensor Girl identity allowing her to do it incognito, as well as reflecting her new powers of not of projecting illusions but also seeing through others' illusions. In the end, the Legion triumphs, but at the cost of Mentalla's life -- she switches sides mid-battle and dies by the Emerald Empress' hand, but she dies a heroine.

Thoughts: Pure action, artfully mapped out by Levitz and beautifully rendered by LaRocque and DeCarlo. The only thing I would criticize about this issue is the vagueness of Sensor Girl's explanation of her new powers, something which Levitz would never quite make clear over the rest of his run. I love Projectra as Sensor Girl, but Supergirl as Sensor Girl would have defintely been a lot more straightforward.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES # 27: "Going Home"

Credits: Paul Levitz, writer - Mike DeCarlo, inker - Greg LaRocque (Sensor Girl and Legion HQ sequences), Colleen Doran (Jan & Shvaughn sequence), Shawn MacManus (Mysa sequence), Gene Colan (Gim & Yera sequence), pencillers - Karen Berger, editor

Plot: Sensor Girl turns down the throne of Orando and leaves her home planet for good; Jan & Shvaughn visit Trom and grow even closer; Mysa goes to Zerox and takes part in the ceremony of de-powering Mordru and giving him a shot at redemption; Gim & Yera visit Gim's parents; Sensor Girl is officially re-inducted into the Legion and the entire team, plus Shvaughn, parties.

Thoughts: This issue always makes for bittersweet re-reading, knowing how these plot threads turn out: Sensor Girl never achieved her full potential or established a coherent set of powers, while the Jan/Shvaughn and Mysa/Mordru threads lay inert until TMK, and I didn't like how they turned out, to put it mildly. Plus, it marks the end of what I consider Levitz's most consistent stretch of issues. After this, we'd get some more water-treading (including the introduction of the lame Starfinger II) until the awesome Universo saga, after which Superboy died and the book was ruined forever. LaRocque continued to grow impressively as an artist even while Levitz's writing was in a downward spiral, until he seemed to burn out two-thirds of the way through the Luck Lords issue, and then he dropped out without finishing Conspiracy, and when Giffen returned, well, that was the end of it for me.

Therefore, I've decided that I will continue the saga of the Baxter-era pre-Superboy-death Legion of Super-Heroes in a series of fanfics to be posted here at Legion World in the Bits forum, where the timeline diverges after the election of Polar Boy as leader in issue # 36. I estimate the first "issue" will be posted sometime during the week of Sept. 28 - Oct. 4. So stay tuned.

--------------------

jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
Mentalla didn't change sides. She was trying to infiltrate the Fatal 5 to prove herself worthy of Legion membership. At least that's how I remember it.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
Mentalla didn't change sides. She was trying to infiltrate the Fatal 5 to prove herself worthy of Legion membership. At least that's how I remember it.

Yeah, me too.

Which puts her in the unfortunate position of proving that the Legion were right to not pick her.

"Watch as I impulsively get myself killed trying to prove myself!"

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Interesting that the Cosmic Teams guy decided that the current Legion timeline diverges after # 27.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Three years later, and the current Legion timeline is a mess, especially in relation to the Fatal Five.

But we'll always have the classics to re-read.

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I give a happy nod to that sentiment. I'm so unenchanted by this 'fast and loose' mentality that DC plays with its characterization (and continuity) but the old stories still exist and can still thrill me. Nothing can change that.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Cheers, Cobie. [Cheers]

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:

Yeah, me too.

Which puts her in the unfortunate position of proving that the Legion were right to not pick her.

"Watch as I impulsively get myself killed trying to prove myself!"

To be fair though, she did act at exactly the moment it would do the most good - though with more experience maybe she could have done it in a way that the Fatal Five wouldn't have realized she was a mole. Ah well...

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.