Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Question for Dan DiDio? (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Question for Dan DiDio?
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
Is it not also true that the price of comics has outrun the inflation rate? By a lot? I seem to recall that it is.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
Sorry. I didn't mean to offend you, Owl Lad. Honestly.

apology accepted. i already know i'm oversensitive about these matters.
From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Matthew E:
Is it not also true that the price of comics has outrun the inflation rate? By a lot? I seem to recall that it is.

I wouldn't be surprised. Don't worry, though. The execs have probably found a way to blame us for that, too.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Para-Dox
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Para-Dox   Author's Homepage   Email Para-Dox         Edit/Delete Post     
remember what marvel management said, their $3.99 price hike was to see how much they can charge before losing readers for maximum profit

--------------------
'You don't need a victory to prove to me you're tops' - Supergirl to Brainiac 5 (Adventure Comics 375)

benevolentbrainiac.webs.com

From: England | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
I think that's how the price of everything is set.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Para-Dox
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Para-Dox   Author's Homepage   Email Para-Dox         Edit/Delete Post     
It is much more horrible than how I put it though. More like they were squeezing readers to see how far they would go. At $2.99 they are still seeing a profit and could continue but with their market share they feel they can justify $3.99 for no other reason but to sqeeze the readers dry.

--------------------
'You don't need a victory to prove to me you're tops' - Supergirl to Brainiac 5 (Adventure Comics 375)

benevolentbrainiac.webs.com

From: England | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
A 10 cent comic in 1966 would cost 66 cents in 2009, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics CPI calculator. But, the actual product of a comic book is markedly different from comics in the 1960s. Much better paper, true color, etc.

Also, remember the Hero Initiative? The charity that raises money for older comics creators because they got screwed by the publishers, had no benefits, no health coverage, no pensions, etc? I imagine DC and Marvel are having to compensate creatives a LITTLE better than they did in the 1960s.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
And yet, unless comic book corporations are the exceptions that prove the rule, their tax burden has decreased in the last half-century; and the disparity between what grunts and execs get paid has increased.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Ironically, the quality of a comic produced today as opposed to 1966 is dramatically inferior (IMHO - disclaimer) and wouldn't be worth 66 cents let alone $2.99 or $3.99!
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

quote:
Originally posted by Para-Dox:
It is much more horrible than how I put it though. More like they were squeezing readers to see how far they would go. At $2.99 they are still seeing a profit and could continue but with their market share they feel they can justify $3.99 for no other reason but to squeeze the readers dry.

More than that, the whole system is set up to squeeze the same small group over and over again. Attempts to grow the audience rather than strip-mine the one you've already got... well, nobody seems to be trying any harder on that front than they were twenty years ago.

--------------------

doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
Totally agree with that, Cleome.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
Am i the only one who doesn't like the all glossy pages of todays comic books?

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by googoomuck:
Am i the only one who doesn't like the all glossy pages of todays comic books?

Nope. Personally, I liked the Mondo paper that was used in the '80s. (I don't know if it's still in use.) Mondo was of better quality than newsprint but certainly not glossy.

However, I would happily prefer newsprint it doing so would make comics more affordable and have better stories.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Mondo is a good compromise. It holds up a little better with age, for sure.

They can save any further moves toward archive-quality whatever for the trades, so far as I'm concerned.

--------------------

Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
I used to get comics (TV21) from my grandparents in England when I was a kid in the 70's, and they used that glossy paper way back then. It does seem to hold up pretty well over time (yes, I still have a bunch of them).

I think the only way comic companies would be able to regain the circulation numbers they enjoyed in the 50's and 60's would be to produce the cheap, throwaways on newsprint as was done at that time, such as your Sunday funny papers are produced today.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.