Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Question for Dan DiDio? (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Question for Dan DiDio?
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
I'm curious- just what books did the outspoken Philadelphia fans thought 'sucked'?

Yeah, me too.

Here's a suggestion - everyone sends a small snipit of Fan-created story or drawings of Legion to a specific (single) website. No criticisms or comments of any kind, just an obvious Legion piece, as many times a week as possible. If nothing else DC may accumulate enough material for a Legion Special sometime soon! Any suggestions on a proper website of TPTB?

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
I'm curious- just what books did the outspoken Philadelphia fans thought 'sucked'?

Let's see... and forgive me in advance if I'm misquoting, but I remember a big exchange about dislike for "Battle for the Cowl". Someone asked about what the whole point of "Trinity" was. There was criticism about plotlines being the result of editorial mandate, to which someone replied that they felt it was actually DiDio's mandate. DiDio spun it into a joke, saying that when readers like something they credit the writer, but when they dislike it, they blame him.

I don't want to paint it as just a compliant-fest, though. There was a lot of support for the Green Lantern titles and Tiny Titans, and a lot of excitement about "Wednesday Comics," among others. I would say, though, that it was a very raucous crowd. Somebody at one point made a comment to which someone else yelled "shut up". I love my city. [Smile]

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I actually met Didio and shook hands with the man and my hand didn't wither and blacken, so, he's okay in my book.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Yes, but can you still have kids? [Hmmm?]

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Isn't that what adoption is for?

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

You guys I have to be honest, but I don't really know WHY I shouldn't like Dan Didio. Can someone remind me?

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Exnihil:
Anyway, I did ask Fat Cramer's question, and was told that fan support is essential to bringing the Legion back to the forefront. DiDio likened this period to the post Adventure period, where the Legion played backup to Superboy until enough noise was made to give them their own title. He said that although he always sees the Legion as having a presence in the DCU, this "second feature" status will continue for a period. I followed up, asking how long he anticipated that period being and he said... very discouragingly... "could be a year, could be infinity".

...Would be the place to start for me. If the Legion is so screwed up to not warrant a book of their own...it happened during his time in charge and it is a pretty direct result of his decisions.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Downunder Lad
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Downunder Lad   Email Downunder Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
@ Sarcasm Kid: Reasons to dislike Didio
* Final Crisis
* Battle for the Cowl
* The debacle that has been the Flash for the last three years
* Ditto Wonder Woman
* the Threeboot Legion...

From: Botany Bay | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Thank you for asking that question, exnihil. It would be interesting to know what the thinking was back in the post-Adventure period, to put the Legion into a back-up position. I suppose it's ultimately sales-driven, but have always suspected politics of some sort play a role, since we've had the last few series aborted before their natural deaths, sudden changes of creative teams and interrupted story lines. Would sales have been that much different if DnA and Shooter had been allowed to finish their runs?

Putting the team as a second feature is a pretty heavy handicap in the race, given the price of a comic today and the tepid support (so far) for Conner Kent. I'm a bit discouraged for the outlook, since we seem to have another storyline revolving around some universe-changing event, which usually implies a long, drawn-out tale with which we all get impatient.

The Legion fan-base is certainly fractured, but I wonder about the support for some of the books DC does continue to back, and some of the new series they've tossed into the market. (I'm totally biased, of course.) However, it does seem very difficult, if not impossible, to find a uniformly accepted version of the Legion today.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:

The Legion fan-base is certainly fractured, but I wonder about the support for some of the books DC does continue to back, and some of the new series they've tossed into the market. (I'm totally biased, of course.) However, it does seem very difficult, if not impossible, to find a uniformly accepted version of the Legion today.

The uniformly accepted version has to be what comes out of Lo3W. That is what DiDio and Johns have decided thay are going to run with. If that doesn't sell there won't be a fourboot there will be nothing.

So it is up to Legion fandom - irrespective of their personal favorite version of the Legion - to get behind Adventure Comics and support it until the Legion take it over or get a new series.

It is the only way. DC aren't going to give the Legion a series because a few Legion Worlders write to Dan DiDio (though letters to DC can't harm the case). They are going to give the Legion a series because Adventure sells more than a b-rater like Conner Kent can justify.

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Silver Age Lad:
The uniformly accepted version has to be what comes out of Lo3W. That is what DiDio and Johns have decided thay are going to run with. If that doesn't sell there won't be a fourboot there will be nothing.

So it is up to Legion fandom - irrespective of their personal favorite version of the Legion - to get behind Adventure Comics and support it until the Legion take it over or get a new series.

It is the only way. DC aren't going to give the Legion a series because a few Legion Worlders write to Dan DiDio (though letters to DC can't harm the case). They are going to give the Legion a series because Adventure sells more than a b-rater like Conner Kent can justify.

To hell with that. I'll buy Adventure if it pleases me to do so and for no other reason. I'm not going to have DiDio playing hardball with me. It wasn't me who got the Legion into this mess. What if Adventure is a terrible comic--should I still buy it then? If I do buy it, does that mean I like it that the Legion only has a backup? Does it mean that I'm a big fan of Superboy II? Does it mean that I'm supporting the Legion getting their own title? Who's to say? DC's going to do whatever they want to do. The ball's in their court, not ours, and I'm not accepting custody of it no matter how much I like the Legion. The guy's got a lot of nerve.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
Yes, but can you still have kids? [Hmmm?]

[LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
On the one hand, telling fans they better buy it or else after generations of DC editorial ruined the property, that's pretty infuriating.

On the other hand, The Action/Legion arc sold pretty well, and FC:LOTW has sold well (and would have sold better if it were published more often than semiannually). So, it seems like a reasonable hurdle for a Johns-based Legion to meet.

I guess I would feel better about all this if DiDio were still in a mode of actually selling his product to convention audiences, rather than threatening them. And this applies to many more properties than the Legion. DiDio does deserve credit for nurturing an interesting range of characters and finding ways to keep them in print (think Manhunter, Blue Beetle, Jonah Hex). There is also no doubt that Flash has been a trainwreck since Infinite Crisis and that Wonder Woman has shot itself in the foot a lot since then, too. I think maybe part of DiDio's issue with the Legion is that he doesn't find it particularly interesting personally. And given his usual attitude, he probably thinks the fanbase is a pain in the @$$. I think about his comment that when he actually looked at the 3 versions, they were so similar he didn't see why you should have all 3 around. I don't necessarily disagree with that, but it seems surprising for an EIC to admit this after approving a 3rd boot and almost simultaneously approving the revival of the 1st boot. But anyway, I am going to remain positive. I'm going to read Adventure Comics, and I'm going to send Mr. DiDio any and all positive feedback I can possibly find, along with any negative criticism warranted.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

quote:
Originally posted by Downunder Lad:
@ Sarcasm Kid: Reasons to dislike Didio
* Final Crisis
* Battle for the Cowl
* The debacle that has been the Flash for the last three years
* Ditto Wonder Woman
* the Threeboot Legion...

Well to be honest I liked Final Crisis. I've been reading Morrison enough to get an understanding of the stories he types. Thankfully, like the mermaids in Futurama, what would've taken millions of years got sped up by extreme doses of caffeine. That stuff is WONDERFUL.

The Threeboot Legion had more original material and designs when the Legion was rebooted, I guess. And I have no idea what Ditto Wonder Woman is.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Arm Fall Off Boy
Now starring in his own DC Comic, September 2011!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arm Fall Off Boy   Email Arm Fall Off Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I think he just meant "The debacle that has been the Flash for the last three years" and that in HIS OPINION the same goes for Wonder Woman-it's a debacle.

--------------------
Long Live all them Legions!

From: North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.