Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Spaceopoly » La la la, Musicals Trivia Game! (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: La la la, Musicals Trivia Game!
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
They did a TV version in the '70s. They messed with the plot a bit and moved the songs (the ones they used, anyway) around and superdiscofied (one of Clark's little-known powers?) them until they're almost unrecognizable. Loretta Switt was the best of the bunch. The no-name guy who played Supes was OK, but Lesley Ann Warren was WRETCHED as Lois Lane (worse than her screentest for the Superman movie, which was on the DVD they released a few years ago -- I like her in some things, but Lois she's not).

Jason Graae does a great version of "You've Got Possibilities" on his Charles Strouse tribute CD, "You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile" (and he looks rather fetching almost naked on the cover).

Anyhoo, on to the next question!

Two TV actresses have trod the boards as a girl named Fred. Who are they (in the original casts), and what's the show? (Bonus points if you know which famous musical writer this show's writer is the offspring of. Super bonus points if you know how the more recent star got her start on Broadway.)

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Proty II
The Weirdo Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Proty II   Author's Homepage   Email Proty II         Edit/Delete Post     
Why, Carol Burnette and Sarah Jessica Parker played Winnifred, the lady so refined she could detect a pea under her mattress!

Mary Rodgers is the daughter of Richard Rodgers.

SJP became famous in Annie but her first credit is The Innocents in 1976.

Ken

--------------------
Yes, but now I'm back! I'm back FROM the future!

Vist Hyperion Ranch!
Guided tours of Chateau Crowbar now available!

http://hometown.aol.com/kidcrowbar/myhomepage/ranch.html

From: Hyperion Ranch, California | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Proty II
The Weirdo Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Proty II   Author's Homepage   Email Proty II         Edit/Delete Post     
Oops! I forgot to mention the show!

It was "Once Upon A Mattress" and alas, I've only seen the TV production which also starred Burnette.

Ken

--------------------

Vist Hyperion Ranch!

From: Hyperion Ranch, California | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
I've never seen the TV version. [Frown] I've heard tell of another TV version in the works, Proty II, with Burnette as the queen. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Of course, you're right on all counts. You're up!

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Proty II
The Weirdo Legionnaire

The '72 version was okay, I guess. I liked it at the time. It was my first exposure to Bernadette Peters. It also starred Ken Berry and Jack Gilford. I don't remember any of the music from it.

Okay, Daniel McDonald left his role as All My Children's Dr. Brad Phillips to play a dead man on Broadway. What was the name of the Show?

For bonus points, what TV musical reunited two of the female cast members?

Ken

--------------------

Vist Hyperion Ranch!

Proty II
The Weirdo Legionnaire

Did I make this too hard? Granted, it wasn't a hit show, but it did have choreography by Susan Strohman and great music by a very famous duo.

One of McDonald's song and dance numbers was "Second Chance", a fitting title since he's been given a second chance at life, even if it is only for three weeks.

Ken

--------------------

Vist Hyperion Ranch!

Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

I thought it might be Kander & Ebb's "Steel Pier," but I didn't know enough about the show to know if his character was dead.

As for the second part, Debra Monk and Kristen Chenoweth were in Disney's "The Music Man."

--------------------
Geek Watch

Proty II
The Weirdo Legionnaire

You got it, Seymore!

McDonald plays a pilot who died during an airshow before he could cash in his raffle ticket for a dance and a kiss with Lindy's Lovebird. Now he's got his "second chance".

All the action takes place at a dance marathon at Atlantic City's Steel Pier. I never saw the show, but it has some really nice songs. One of my life's missions is to turn people on to this show and I've given away two CDs as presents already.

Ken

--------------------

Vist Hyperion Ranch!

Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

(Sorry, got a small case of rellifeitis)

It does have some lovely music. I bought the CD after seeing the performance on the Tonys. I guess the liner notes just didn't stick with me.

As for the new question:

Which rock and roller is working on a spooky new musical with Stephen King?

--------------------
Geek Watch

Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
John Cougar Mellencamp. Watch out, World!

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Yes!

I hadn't heard about this, but I was trolling the net for a good trivia question and ran across it. Sounds creepy but intriguing. Your turn!

--------------------
Geek Watch

Kid Prime
Founder

I actually forgot that I had gotten this question... here's an easy one.

Stephen Sondheim was originally picked to write both the music and the lyrics for Gypsy. However, the producers' final decision was to bring in Jule Styne to write the music.

What was the reason for the change?

--------------------

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Because he was untested as a composer?

--------------------
Geek Watch

Kid Prime
Founder

Yes, but there was one particular person who had a problem with him... who was it?

--------------------

Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Probably the only one with that kind of clout would be the original Mama Rose, Merman herself.

--------------------
Geek Watch

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.