Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Savage Hawkman (Page 15)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17   
Author Topic: Savage Hawkman
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
i can't say i'm loving the new storyline since the change in title !!

after the amazing 12 issue run previous to it, it just doesn't compare .....

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bicycle Repair Man
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bicycle Repair Man   Email Bicycle Repair Man         Edit/Delete Post     
I loved Walt Simonson on Thor and Orion, but his Wonder Woman arc was a disappointment. This story-arc is off to a slow start, and I'm indifferent to Chaykin -- this could get dropped. Haven't quite decided.
From: Monty Python's Flying Circus | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick Vinson
Libertarian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Vinson   Email Nick Vinson         Edit/Delete Post     
This just in. This just in. Howard Chaykin leaving Hawkgirl to draw Blade for Marvel.

Read on here at CBR

--------------------
-Nick-

Is Civil War over with yet?

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
This is a blessing then. I like Walt and Howard too, but this arc will be the death of this title (running longer than any other Hawk-title ever) unless they do something ASAP.

The latest arc...its almost getting unreadable.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I agree this story is not going anywhere fast, and all the excitment when Lendra first appeared has been killed. But I don't think it's the art to blame. I liked Chaykin's work here, it gave the book a distinct look, and it fit the gothy mood I think Walt was aiming for.

But the story has been slow, with too much time spent on irrelevant dreams, over-long exposititory scenes, and NO real villain. If this is the same guy that brought THOR to prominence, I'm surprised.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
Man, are they trying to get me to drop this book?

Despite my previous post, I really have tried to enjoy this. For a minute, it looked like something interesting might be going on, but this issue was just totally not something I enjoyed reading. There was virtually no story, and the art was ... disturbing.

Even people who don't have Kendra's superheroine body still have to meet some basic anatomy conventions, and Chimaera just didn't. And those freaky pasties and whatever you call the barely there bottom were just not nice.

And what's with the teeth! Still the teeth! This isn't a 22-page toothpaste ad, Howard!

Oh, well, he's leaving, but Simonson isn't right? I just don't know how long I can stand this arc hoping for something better to come along.

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
It's almost like they want us to hate Kendra so we'll be ecstatic when Carter returns.

Gotta say- the worst book OYL.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
HAWKGIRL 53:

Khimaera is one freaky lookin' antagonist. Her shtick reminds me of an old Star Trek episode, though. This was an OK read, but doesn't have me panting for next issue. I'm mildly curious about the new detective.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Folks, Chaykin's leaving and Joe Bennet is coming back for a guest stint as artist in Oct. WHOO HOO!

Here's hoping he gives the book a shot in the arm...

walkwithcrowds
Skinny wee Scottish guy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for walkwithcrowds   Email walkwithcrowds         Edit/Delete Post     
I do quite like Howard Chaykin as an artist and this "new" style for him has taken a while to grow on me - it's OK.

The story hasn't been up to much though.

I'm really only keeping this on my pull list because I want to see Carter brought back and I'm trying to add my support to the book so it wont get cancelled. How are sales anyway? Does anyboby have any info - I'm guessing they are not too hot.

p.s. Saw Howards version of Cap for Avengers 21 - it is without doubt the UGLIEST Captain America I have ever seen.

--------------------
Be lucky

From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick Vinson
Libertarian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Vinson   Email Nick Vinson         Edit/Delete Post     
I think the story so far has been very deliberately paced but something is lacking in the storytelling. The issue with Khimera for example, every page seemed to exist in its own little world and not in a good way. There seemed to be very little in the way of panel to panel continuity. This only hampered a very obtuse story. I am glad that Chaykin is leaving. I think his new style or whatever is unsuitable for this title. Also I got the feeling he wasnt going great guns and never was from the start. Id rather a less seasoned artist take over the art chores that REALLY seemed to give a damn. I will stick with this title now that I feel a positive change is happening as apposed to one that was designed for marketing.

JOE BENNETT! W00T!

--------------------
-Nick-

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I only flipped through the latest issue, but what's the deal with Hawkman - is he Thor now??
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Drake, it might take a revival of Thor-like proportions to bring this title back.

Simonson has spent too much of each issue with idle chatter (this issue it was Kendra's chat with the surviving cop) and dragged the story out.

Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
HAWKGIRL 54: Is the Hawkman with the tattoo covered body (or is that body hair?) the same as the one who looks all old on the last page? And are either of them the 'real' Hawkman?
From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick Vinson
Libertarian

Hawkgirl 54 was not only readable, but the storytelling made sense. Wow. Chaykin art actually working with the story this time, instead of impeading its progress. And hey, I actually enjoyed it for a change. I havent enjoyed this book since issue 50, when it appeared everything was gelling.

I cant wait for Chaykin to take a hike on this book. Simonson's take on Kendra is sound, and hes building up a credible supporting cast for the book. Having that reincarnated Hath-Set fella take over the museum is a nice touch. Its nice to see it come to some fruition. I think theres just too much subplot for this book given how Chaykin lays out his pages.

I just hope the new guy (whomever he/she may be) knocks it outta the park.

--------------------
-Nick-

This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.