Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Savage Hawkman (Page 16)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17   
Author Topic: Savage Hawkman
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The Chaykin/Simonson run is finished. Here's hoping some of this book's former glory will return.

Bring on Bennet!

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Just some aimless mind wandering...

The ideal creative team for this book would be Robert Kirkman and Adam Hughes. Kirkman would give it that quirky, horror edge that the DCU needs. And Hughes would make Kendra such a gorgeous woman. Think about it- that firey Hawk temper unleasehed on hordes of zombies and undead.

HAWKGIRL: Predator of the Night

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

And we've got a new issue out, with a sort of new (temporary) penciller.

And what a difference! The story moved along, we got some great teases for the next arc. Simonson kicked it up a bit.

The issue starts with a prison break on Rann. Six men escape, and they all have names except The Butcher. Ok, some easy ominousity there. Then we flash to Earth and Kendra soaring the skies. She gets nabbed, wakes up in a prison, and eventually faces trials for betraying Thanagar during the war. It's all set up, but with next issue being the conclusion, we should be getting some pay-off soon.

Bennet draws incredibly well! I liked Chaykin's art, but Bennet makes this book look sharp. This is why he's been the go-to guy on 52.

Check it out!

[ October 27, 2006, 12:23 AM: Message edited by: CJ Taylor ]

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
I read issue 43. TITS. GREAT BIG GIANT FUZZY BROWN DELICIOUS TITS!!!

First things first-- hands down, the cover wins BEST COVER award of the stack I bought and I bought 25 comic books last week.

Charley's story held me mesmerized, and his plan is both brilliant and dangerous. But even THAT was topped by those final 5 pages....

Good LORD, this book is NOVA-HOT. Definitely one of my personal top 5 favorites now.

This tickles me to no end... I really, REALLY liked the GrayPal/Bennet run of HAWKMAN [Smile]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
Well if a thread is going to be resurrected, I guess it's fitting it would be about the Hawks.
From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
And see, I did a search figuring there WAS a hawkman thread before starting the new one and it turned up nothing! WTF?

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
SAVAGE HAWKMAN #1: Unless there's a bunch of revelations coming, I don't see why they just didn't give this Hawkman a new identity and *really* divorce themselves from all the reincarnation/Thanagarian 'stuff' the writer was so proud of himself for dumping (an author interview almost caused me to skip this... )

It's a good issue- I liked a lot about and don't think the past is as removed from the character as I thought. Perhaps.

The Nth Metal thing was pretty cool... in a way. On the other hand, I don't think Hawkman really needed this enhancement as a character.

As I read the metal 'slurping' into Carter's body, I couldn't help thinking that a Nth Metal Man would be kind of fun. 'HAWKMAN AND THE METAL MEN'-- would you buy?

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Savage Hawkman #1

I thoroughly enjoyed Phillip Tan's artwork on this book. Nice layouts. Each panel felt like a painting. It had a very gritty and realistic feeling. The colors were as close to perfect as they could be.

The story left me a pretty confused. Again, I'm disappointed by the lack of background and explanation. We didn't get to know Carter very well at all. The Nth metal upgrade is interesting, but not necessary. Hawkman's power set has always worked just fine for me. Honestly, it felt like the issue was designed around the reveal. For those who find the upgrade really cool that may be enough. I'm going to need a little more depth to be fully satisfied.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Did you wonder, as I did, if DC might've been better off having a totally new character bond with the Nth Metal?
From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
Did you wonder, as I did, if DC might've been better off having a totally new character bond with the Nth Metal?

That thought crossed my mind, ML. I'm not totally familiar with Carter and the Hawkman mythology so at the opening of the book I wasn't sure if it was completely in character for him to spurn that lifestyle. Perhaps it's unstated ramifications from losing Hawkgirl again?

I thought the art was great and I actually liked the story, despite not being a big Hawkman fan. I'll probably check out the second issue, though I can echo Jerry a little bit. I feel that I may lose interest if the pacing and satisfaction with the book doesn't pick up in a few months. I thought it was good, but wasn't blown away or learned much about the character's backstory.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:
Savage Hawkman #1

I thoroughly enjoyed Phillip Tan's artwork on this book. Nice layouts. Each panel felt like a painting. It had a very gritty and realistic feeling. The colors were as close to perfect as they could be.

The story left me a pretty confused. Again, I'm disappointed by the lack of background and explanation. We didn't get to know Carter very well at all. The Nth metal upgrade is interesting, but not necessary. Hawkman's power set has always worked just fine for me. Honestly, it felt like the issue was designed around the reveal. For those who find the upgrade really cool that may be enough. I'm going to need a little more depth to be fully satisfied.

Jerry's summary actually mirrors my feelings pretty closely; the first issue was adequate and I'll get #2, but they better really step their game up. I'm a longtime big fan of Hawkman and I have high hopes (and perhaps give the franchise more leeway than I would give, say, Deathstroke). But I will need the series to grow in quality as it finds it voice.

I'm very dissapointed in the lack of connection to Carter Hall or Katar Hol's mythos. It leaves a bitter taste in my mouth and Tony Daniel basically reveling in his dismissal in many elements of Hawkman's past was infuriating. I hope eventually, though that can be rectified--we dont need to know everything right away.

The comic die look fantastic. Phillip Tan has always been great and he's absolutely explosive here.

Overall, I didn't enjoy it as much as JL #1. It was satisfactory and I hope it gets better over time.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I wasn't really into it, though the art was pretty spectacular.

I'll pass though.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm sorry. I love the character. I really do, and I'll stick with the book to the bitter end... but it's almost impossible to follow in the fight scenes artwise, the armor looks horrible to me, especially the helmet, and the book is so darkly colored that nothing about it is appealing to me, other than the character of Carter...which is losing appeal fast because I literally cannot follow it.

This is THE book I was looking forward to over even firestorm in the relaunch, and it's failing miserably to appeal to me, personally.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Dropping it. Pure garbage.
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Hawkman #2--one word:

UNREADABLE

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.