Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Savage Hawkman (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  15  16  17   
Author Topic: Savage Hawkman
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I was going to. Ah hell, here it is without the Lone Star writing.

-

I had totally forgotten I got my site reloaded this weekend or I could have just posted the image to #38 for you all too. I've got all the Vol. 3 covers, including annuals, at my site.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks, Scott. The covers to 45 and 50 were my favorites from Steacy's cover run-- and incidentally, were the only actual fully-painted illos. The others were a mix of media, usually along the lines of pastels or colored pencils, it looks like.

Here's the cover for #50, the showdown with the Trapper:

-

[ August 26, 2003, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Poverty Lad ]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Somehow I had it in my head that Steacy had done #38. Poignant! Even more so when paired with the optimism of the more traditional #37, from a certain fan fave.
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't know if it's the chest hair or what, but Hawkman's been looking pretty, y'know, sexy on the last two covers. (Y'know?)
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hmmm

-

-

-

-

Pretty decent covers. And painted too.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Believe it or not I've not seen any of these covers as my shop doesn't get Hawkman. And I just can't get into yet another title. Anyone got scans or links to these pieces of art?

Your shop does NOT carry Hawkman?!?!? I can't believe that! Tell that manager to order Hawkman or ELSE! Hawkman is a pretty decent book to read! Love that book now! Is your shop Anti-Geoff Johns or just anti-Hawkman?
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Good question. I never seem to be able to get a copy of JSA either. Isn't Johns still writing that?

Actually, they aren't too big on DC. They focus more on Marvel and the independent titles. I'll have to investigate further.

superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
*gasp* *drop jaw* no JSA!?!? oh boy.....what about the Flash? and Teen Titans? Do they sell them as well? All titles are written by Geoff Johns.
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

I was able to get the first issue of The Flash that started the last storyline, where they reintroduced the Reverse Flash but that was it. And I only got Teen Titans as the third printing and haven't seen a copy beyond issue number one.
superboymddjr
Quiet member

my god...I can't believe that. Anyhooo.....about the Hawkman covers....I can't help pondering that the bottom one (Hawkman and Gargoyle in raining) should be definitely made into a Poster! beautiful poster...best one ever...hate to admit that it is better than Alex Ross. Sorry, no offense.
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
I absolutely adore those Hawkman posters! What beautiful art!

And Scott, I share your pain about the comic store. That's why I went to mail order...

Now, I nver miss anything! (I just have to wait forver to get them!)

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
[Lightning Lad, about Sienkiewicz's "LSH" v3 n38 art]
{ I seem to remember Grey trying to win that cover art when it went up for bid on eBay last year. I can't remember how much it went for but it was in the mid 4 figures I think. }

Yep, the framed painting ended up going for well over $1000. Got far too rich for me to pursue it, despite its being even more dramatic without the Legion logo and title. And its being the best Dawnstar cover, best Superboy cover, and best damn Legion cover ever, period.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
I entirely second the praise of the painted "Hawkman" covers above. Here, to give some time to the gorgeous women, are issues 15 and 16. (I can't find 16 to actually buy anywhere. A bit frustrating to be teased with all this art at the DC site, but nice to have it.)

-

-

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

That cover to # 16 for some reason makes me think of the 1980's Flash Gordon movie.
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by superboymddjr:
my god...I can't believe that. Anyhooo.....about the Hawkman covers...hate to admit that it is better than Alex Ross. Sorry, no offense.

What's to be sorry for? I think these covers are amazing and definitely better than some of Ross' work. Ross has a tendency to stick too closely to the real world, imo. Sometimes it looks too much like some guy posing in his studio in a home-made superhero costume.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  15  16  17   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.