Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The Walking Dead Army - Recruiting New Zombies (Page 32)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 35 pages: 1  2  3  ...  29  30  31  32  33  34  35   
Author Topic: The Walking Dead Army - Recruiting New Zombies
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Just finished up through Book #8, and I'll admit I'm losing faith in the series. It just seems every death and maiming comes off as a calculated ploy, the characters have ground to a halt and the Governor was just such an over the top villain that I couldn't get into it.

I'm on the fence as to whether I'll purchase the next one. The best part to recommend it is that the whole Prison/Woodbury stuff seems to be at a definitive close, so at least we'll get a fresh start of sorts with book #9. Without get too spoilery, can people confirm that things pick up?

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Dave, IMO, things do pick up soon after where you left off. The next phase (probably Book 9) is a bit of 'catching your breath and realizing what just happened'. But then soon after, things pick up again.

Where we are now, around #97 or so, there have been actually a few ups and downs from where you are. So you'll have to push through those two downs (two in particular, including where you are now). I think we're riding a big high right now, as things are getting really fantastic again and potentially could reach an all new high point shortly.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I read 95-97 just now... I am interested in this cult of Negan... but I do feel like there's a sense that this book is kinda going in cicles quite a bit these days. Still, it remains a top read of mine but I actuaklky find myself missing MANY of the older better-established characters that are no longer with us.

The many MANY newer --hell, NOT so new really, like Rosita and her crew-- castmembers we have now just don't match what certain others brought to the table for me.

I think Kirkman killed off many of them FAR too quickly.

I realized in 97... I have forgotten the Priest's name... I have forgotten the muscley handlebar mustache guy's name... this should NOT be the case.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
RE: Issue #98 - Something to Fear, Part 2

I guess we've all been hoping for something special for issue #100. Things have been kind of quiet lately. Some interesting moments, but kind of quiet. Until this issue, that is!

An unexpected and disturbing death. Gore galore. This new menace is as dangerous and deadly as anything the crew has faced so far. That's saying something. Fasten your seat belts folks. Things are going to get pretty wild over the next few issues.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
Excited for things to finally be ramping up. A shame about the death this issue though - I was fond of the character and they really don't have a lot of fighting force left, do they? At least, named characters we could actually care about. The group that got ambushed by walkers was a nice highlight that no matter how many you kill, there's still going to be thousands left when you live next to a formerly densely populated area.

Wondering which of the major characters we'll lose in issue #100. I'll be completely surprised if Kirkman has everyone survive the issue.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
98 was definitely an eye-opener...pun intended. Though the end of the previous issue foreshadowed the death in the first few pages, it was shocking to see him or her taken out in that fashion so suddenly. I would have thought the character would have at least been given a chance to go out in a blaze of glory. I considered the character among my favorites of the current group of survivors, but the death didn't have the impact that some of the others had on me. It was nice, though, to see some of the survivors reacting to it. You could just feel the oh shit in the air among them along with their personal connections.

On the other hand, it was nice to see that the other character wasn't content to be road kill and found a unique and (let's face it) pretty funny way to turn the tables on his assailants. I kinda like to see the underdogs survive against the odds, and I hope this character survives the arc now.

Going in, I thought maybe "Something to Fear" would take place as a war on the Hilltop, but it looks like the current war might just be at the Community instead. Maybe this is an introductory salvo in a longer sequence with something at the Hilltop happening later. We'll see how compelling the new bad guys are as more than just a dire threat. They will inevitably be compared to the Governor and Woodbury. To live up to that, Negan and his thugs have lots to live up to!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I just finished trade 16, that collects 91 through 96.

I may have to run to the store to see if they still have 97 and on ... can't wait to see Negan's crew get the smack put down on them!

and ... If Carl just never appeared again ... without any explanation ... I'd be fine with that.

The book seems like its ending ... but with the tv show out they're probably gonna milk this baby like a cactus in the desert.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
"Carl who?"
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:
The book seems like its ending ... but with the tv show out they're probably gonna milk this baby like a cactus in the desert.

I think it was as recently as 98's lettercol that Kirkman said something like TWD 'probably isn't even half-over.'

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

That's incredible ... Wonder where it will go then ...
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

I picked up 98, missed 97 ...

was shocked to see that no one is sacred ...

in fact a couple issues ago when Andrea was going on about her and Rick being the "ones that survive" I just thought [No] oh no she din't ...

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Even after all weve been through reading this series, I can still be surprised. The death in #98 caught me off guard, and Kirkman smartly made it matter-of-fact and without overdrama.

I have a bad feeling in my gut about #100. Really don't Wang to lose one of my three favorites. (The big three besides Rick & Carl).

Lardy totally agree about the one who lived through #98. I suddenly am interested in him again and want to see him evolve. Even his conversation on the first few pages helped refine his character for me.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Just read 98 - 100.

Wow, the death in 98 was hard to take, but it was nice to see the other one take a stand...as it were.

99 was a nice bridge to 100, setting everything up.

100 - HOLY CRAP! That was freakin brutal.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

100 was seriously fucked up. I'm still a little shaken, having put it down just a few minutes ago. Reminded me in many ways of what happened to Tyreese. This was a big one, and the implications for our characters are huge.

Thing is, I'd wager this Negan/Saviors arc has barely just begun. No way they can be taken care of in just a couple of issues. They make the Governor's group look like a boy scout troop.

I sincerely hope Rick eventually gets to keep that promise he made to Negan.

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I really hope so as well.

This has got to be another 6 - 12 issues at least. Anything less would feel like it was being shortchanged.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 35 pages: 1  2  3  ...  29  30  31  32  33  34  35   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.