Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The Return of ADAM STRANGE (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: The Return of ADAM STRANGE
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Interview here on the fnial issues of the mini and what's beyond.

You know, I've loved this series strait on through, despite any flaws. I really, really want an ongoing Adam Strange series with this level of quality (preferably with this creative team!).

I know the Spider-Guild being aided by LEGION bothers some of you, but I don't really mind it that much. It seems much similar to the way I view the world these days, with our own allies over the last twenty years. And Vril Dox always struck me as a jerk who would make those kind of ruthless sacrifices.

I do like seeing the Omega Men in action though. I hope they can get to Captain Comet one day soon if these minis (or an ongoing) continues.

The Rann/Thanager war looks awesome so far, but I'll miss Diggle/Ferry. I really like seeing Hawkman all over the DCU, the more Adam the better and Kyle Rayner being in this might bring in some other fans who will be happy to see he's not dead.

Maybe an Adam Strange ongoing by Diggle (and Ferry!) could spin out of this? If he knows he has some time to get into it, I wonder if Diggle would spend time giving us scenes with the other members of LEGION, and some more character moments?

Bottom line: Adam Strange is witty, smart and a bit of a tough guy, and I'm glad someone found a way to bring him back for a bit [Big Grin] Now I need more, more, more!

And even though we knew it was coming, it was great seeing Alanna at the end of the last issue. Now I want lots of scenes with her and Adam! (Like Phantom Girl and Mera, Alanna is one of those comic book females that I had a crush on when I was a wee lad!)

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
By the way (and this is really for Lash), is this Hawkwoman here?
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Sure looks like her... though her hair's not loose. Long red hair out the back of her helmet would be a sure thing. [Smile]

But HEY! Take a look about an inch right of Kyle's bum, by the Khund's knee there... Does that look like who I think it looks like?! [Validus]

Nice to see alot of the alien races represented on the cover there... Besides Thanagarians, I spotted a Dominator, as well as members of Kilowog and Tomar Re's peoples.

Represent! [Cool]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
That's sure who it looks like. Maybe we're going to discover that Validus is from a forgotten race rather than the time-warped child of two Legionnaires.

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Pov:
Sure looks like her... though her hair's not loose. Long red hair out the back of her helmet would be a sure thing. [Smile]

It's probably her. I've read she's showing up.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
She should. Shayera Thal should be a fixture in the DCU.

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I read # 6.

THE GOOD:

The art continues to be stellar. Beyond stellar, even. Super-stellar!

I am pleased that long-ignored sci-fi characters are being pulled out of mothballs in this mini.

There was no way anyone could resist that final page. If anyone had been on the fence about finishing this mini, THAT page just ensured they will stick around. Well done.

THE NOT-AS-GOOD:

Somebody has some 'splainin' to do. When we last we saw Dox, he was playing house-hubbie with Stealth. DON'T like this new take on dot-Legion at ALL thus far what with all the robots. Dox himself DOES seem like typical Dox, though I don't like his new look. Where IS everybody else?

Doc's fate displeases me, though I suspected he was a goner after the final page of # 4 anyway. Can we have ONE Omega Men story where someone isn't killed off?

This has been a FANTASTIC Adam Strange story.

But the truth is, I'm a wee bit more of an Omega Men/dot-Legion fan.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Doc's fate displeases me, though I suspected he was a goner after the final page of # 4 anyway. Can we have ONE Omega Men story where someone isn't killed off?

We see Doc's corpse in #5, don't we?

Anyway, I'm hoping Rann/Thanagar War will ease up on the Omega crew.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I'll have to go back and look, I totally missed that... maybe I was mentally blocking it or something.

*sigh*

Doc was SUCH a great character... [Frown]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

SiliconDream
I'd rather not be

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiliconDream   Email SiliconDream         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Somebody has some 'splainin' to do. When we last we saw Dox, he was playing house-hubbie with Stealth. DON'T like this new take on dot-Legion at ALL thus far what with all the robots. Dox himself DOES seem like typical Dox, though I don't like his new look. Where IS everybody else?

I think he'd be more believable as Dox if not for R.E.B.E.L.S. and the subsequent Two Vrils and One Querl Beat Each Other With Tree Branches mini, where he largely got over (or redirected) his control obsession. Way I see it, he didn't just happen to stop running L.E.G.I.O.N.; it was part of a personality shift. Lessons learned and that sort of thing.

That, and to my mind it isn't really in Dox's character to stand around going "Hey, I'm smarter than you, and also here are all the ways you're outgunned, so you better give up" to a potential opponent. Classic Dox would have had Adam and Co. shot unconscious first and then bothered to find out if they had any countermeasures. And then woken them up in jail and insulted them--or, more appropriately for an Adam Strange mini, he'd find out that Adam actually did have countermeasures all along.

I understand that dramatic faceoffs are a better fit to the noir tone of the book, though.

[ March 28, 2005, 05:08 AM: Message edited by: SiliconDream ]

From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Well, I read # 8 just now.

Alanna stole the show, to my surprise and approval! You go, grrrl!

Still not pleased with the treatment of the Omega Men and L.E.G.I.O.N. but at least they're still around, unlike the poor Darkstars! You'll be remembered, Ferrin Colos... as the lame Green Lantern Corps replacements you were.

On to Rann-Thanagar War # 1...

--------------------

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I am reading the series currently from a bud. I LOVE IT!!! SO many Legion elements. This is the feeling I got reading the Levitz/Giffen Legion. The sci-fi futuristic planets, people, etc. I am a sucker for that stuff. GREAT ART.

Whoever said the legion needs some of this is right!!! I just finished reading #6 will read the rest later today. (it's nice when friends swap comics so they don't have to buy more comics)

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
More on the series. I like they updated the costume. Personally it was just too old school for me. I also like they took him out of Rann. Put Adam on the map with the other planets. Increased the sandbox.

As for an ongoing? I rather have him in a mini like this every year or every other year.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Just finished re-reading this. It holds up amazingly well, better than anything else I've read that DC published between 2004 and 2011. Even the last-minute tacked-on non-ending is forgivable compared to the non-endings of most other DC books from that time.

Fortuitously, Andy Diggle is about to return to DC to take over Action Comics. Marvel really screwed up by not letting Diggle take over the cosmic books from DnA. Instead, we're going to get Bendis doing Guardians of the Galaxy. :S

Admittedly, I'm being premature, but I think Diggle still has what it takes to bring a spark to the cosmic side of DC. I think it should be him who should be writing Threshold, not Keith Giffen. For that matter, I think it should be him writing Legion, not Paul Levitz. But that last statement is a topic for another forum...

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
^ That really was a great series wasn't it? Whenever I get around to doing my BIG DC Comics collection re-read, I had been sort of dreading the post-Didio years. But you've just reminded me that there are some gems amongst the dreck.

One thing that still totally infuriates me though, is that after all the AWESOME world-building and character creation that Diggle added to the Omega Men here, it all got wiped away completely when ALL of these new Omega Men characters (plus a bunch of old ones that hadn't been seen in a while) all got killed off off-panel by bloody Anderson Gabrych in that woeful Omega Men mini of his a short time later. And Doc somehow got resurrected without any explanation. It seemed almost like Gabrych had something personal against Diggle and for some reason decided to take it out on his comics work.

I think that mini was the first point at which I realised that the DC editors had zero clue as to what was required to keep their universe flourishing. Clue: DON'T ALLOW ALL THESE AMAZING-LOOKING NEW CHARACTERS WITH LOTS OF POTENTIAL TO BE KILLED OFF FOR SOME CHEAP SENSATIONALISM!

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.