Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The Flash! (Wally West) (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: The Flash! (Wally West)
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Anyone reading the adventures of Wally West?

I thought the most recent issue (#216, I believe) was one of, if not *the*, best tie-ins to a 'big event' storyline I've ever read.

Does anyone have other favorites... stories in a related title that appear in support of a 'mega' series? Most of them have been mediocre, if even that.

sp

oi

le

rs

sp

oi

le

rs

sp

ac

e

sp

ac

e

The revelations about the Top fit seamlessly with what's going on in IDENTITY CRISIS. The ramifications of the Top's apparent mucking about with the minds of the Rogues (inspired by Barry Allen's messing about with the Top's mind-- with Zatanna's help) have me eagerly awaiting ROGUE WAR.

I've loved Piper as a hero... and the Trickster as a shades-of-gray mostly on the side of the 'angels'. Who knows what the status of Piper, James Jesse, Magenta and the rest of the Rogues will be?!

The only quibble I had with this issue-- and with the mind control facet of IDENTITY CRISIS-- is Zatanna's role in it. She just seems to be going along with it with no real feeling about her machinations one way or another. I'd like to 'hear' her thoughts about the whole thing... from the time she first touched Dr. Light to Wally's whisking her off to 'fix' The Top.

THE FLASH really is one of the most dependably entertaining titles out there. I'd say it's my favorite current solo hero book.

[ September 28, 2011, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: Reboot ]

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I'd post more, but I'm at work! [Smile]

Flash is *the* best comic book on the market right now IMO, from all companies. Excellent month in and month out--by far the most enjoyable. I highly reccomend it to all!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Aah, FLASH.

Why don't I love this book more?

I've enjoyed it over the years, but never seemed to stick with it. Yet when I -do- pick up an issue, I haven't felt it was money ill-spent. I've heard so much about Johns' work on the title, even tried picking it up during the Zoom storyline, but never stuck with it.

But the last four issues, since the Mirror Master spotlight in 212, have been consistantly good. I was hesitant to pick up the run when Howard Porter came aboard, but he's not half-bad. Certainly better than the work he did early in the current JLA title.

We'll see if Geoff can keep me into it post-IC. But isn't this leading into a "Rogues-War" storyline??? Hmmm... Might be another addition to the preorders, at least for a bit.

[ November 29, 2004, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Pov of Nine ]

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beagz
5 of 9

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beagz   Email Beagz         Edit/Delete Post     
Although, I'm wondering if maybe it will wind up being a Rogues-Civil-War.

And, personally, I miss Piper as a good guy. He worked so hard to change his image, only to apparently throw it away a short while ago.

Maybe the impending Rogues War will straighten him out ... so to speak.
(Pardon the pun!!)

--------------------
You can never quit believiing in your dreams ... or yourself.
-----
You GOTTA listen to Levi Kreis.

From: Aggieland | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

D'OH! [No] [LOL]
From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Geoff's run on THE FLASH has been consistently excellent with the sole exception of his first arc, WONDERLAND, which very nearly drove me to drop the title. I'm glad I didn't. Must have been "opening night jitters" for him, because every issue since has been a big winner for me.

LOVE his take on the Rogues most of all. LOVE that this comic has become everybit theirs as it is Wally's.

Also am hoping the explanation of The Top's mind-games are used to explain Magenta's instability following the TRIGON SEED storyline in TITANS.

Todd, I thought Geoff delved into Zee's thoughts on the matter quite well in one sad, sweet panel in issue # 216... Zee to Wally: "I never meant to hurt any of them."

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
i've only been reading "The Flash" since the "ZOOM" storyline [ that was a while back now ] and i too have been enjoying it each month !!!

i really enjoy all of Geoff's books .... and i get them all !!!

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Glad to see others like it as much.

Love the supporting cast and the Rogues. That's what is bringing me in each month, in addition to good Flash stories/battles too.

Beagz, I have a feeling Piper will stay strait (you know what I mean [Big Grin] ). There seems to be some ambiguity here...I have a feeling Heat Wave will go bad again, and the Trickser is up in the air.

The Top is suddenly really cool again, just like Captain Cold, Mirror Master, Grodd and the rest. I am loving this title.

BTW, I thought the weakest storyline was after the Zoom saga, with Wally's memory lost, and that might have turned people off. I know John's was purposely writing it differently though.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
#217's come and gone... with Linda's return as a reporter... with some Flash/Batman interaction... and the intro to *this* title of the new Boomerang, with a bit of mystery surrounding the *old* one.

I wonder if Mr. Bones will figure in the Rogues War? I know he's not a Flash villain, but he *is* involved in the government intelligence bureaucracy.

The funeral scene was a good one... even though I couldn't ID everyone. I found it odd that new Rainbow Raiders are trotted out without much description (they *are* new, aren't they?).

I'm looking forward to this month's spotlight on Heat Wave... and then the Rogue War?

I wish Piper'd get another spotlight... the earlier one wasn't really *about* him, as I remember it.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kinetix
Active

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Kinetix   Author's Homepage   Email Kinetix         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm an occasional Flash fan, and recently dove back in with 197 for the new Zoom storyline, and have stuck around since. Most every issue since has been really good, and I've enjoyed the run.

And Identity Crisis may have been a bit of a let-down in some ways, but the stuff it's caused in the Flash make it all worth it, IMO.

J

--------------------
"Why must power be so elusive?" - Zoe Saugin
Enter Zoe's Closet

From: Everywhere, nowhere... | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Creepy, creepy exploration of Mick Rory, aka HEAT WAVE this month.

I never knew a whole heck of a lot about this character... I always found his costume and m.o. a bit boring, to tell the truth. But not anymore.

It's pretty rare to show me a character who at once arouses sympathy and horror. Usually, it's pretty tellingly weighted one way or the other. Heat Wave now is 'my' exemplar of balancing the two. He'll be totally believable whichever 'side' of the fence he lands on.

Magneto was once in this category, and shows faint signs of resuming that position.

In any case, the scene that shows young Mick immediately after he... lights something is one I'll never forget.

I wish there'd been a bit more about Cap'n Boomerang here... and a little more focus on Wally and co. (it *is* his book, after all), but I'm even *more* eager to read ROGUE WAR than I was before... and I've been looking forward to that more than COUNTDOWN and whatever mysterious event(s) follows (though mentions of Donna Troy are really starting to cloud up my radar) and House of M over at Marvel (Polaris is going to be involved! A rumored mass 'clearing out' of X-characters! Ick!) is making a few blips, too.

2005 is shaping up to be pretty interesting, big story wise. I hope the 'little' stories that *really* make a chunk of comics time successful get as much attention.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Gotta say, the issue was excellently written but I'd rather not have found out all that about HeatWave.

I liked him as a hero, but he's no hero. He's a sicko mass murderer right up there with The Joker, and deserves to be put down.

I just can't like him any more. *sigh*

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

About the only thing good I can say about IDENTITY CRISIS is that it got me buying FLASH.

Unfortunately, alot of people are saying the same thing... even Wonderland has been running low on recent issues. I missed the Top issue (216? ) and I think I missed the most recent one also. [Frown]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

SiliconDream
I'd rather not be

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiliconDream   Email SiliconDream         Edit/Delete Post     
I just can't get into Johns' Flash myself. I think it's perfectly well-written, but I find it way too dark. There are plenty of dark books I like, mind you, but I don't find the tone appropriate when the main character is practically a god. There's just too many ways he could Fix Everything if there was a necessity to do so.

That, and I preferred the Rogues under Waid/Morrison/Millar, when most of them were simply very odd people, rather than crippled by drugs and angst and mental illness.

But again, this is all subjective stuff. I think the quality of the writing is great, but it's not a story that grabs me.

From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Phipps
I'm actually the Time Trapper...shhhhhh

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Phipps   Email Charles Phipps         Edit/Delete Post     
Mllash, I think you may have missed the point. I think the entire point is that they're "rebooting" the Rogues all as bad guys. Heatwave is just one of the first.

His redemption is going to be revealed as a joke.

--------------------
Author of "Machine Goddess" and "The Undying Machine"
Machine Goddess: http://tinyurl.com/gkp5z
Undying Machine: http://tinyurl.com/jvw9p

Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.