Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The Flash! (Wally West) (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: The Flash! (Wally West)
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow. [Love] Thank you Scott!! [Big Grin] I might get excited about the new series yet!!

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
You're welcome Cali! Here's the solicitation text too:

THE FLASH: FASTEST MAN ALIVE #1

Written by Paul DeMeo and Danny Bilson, art and cover by Ken Lashley, variant cover by Andy Kubert and Joe Kubert.

The Flash is back. And in this landmark issue written by Paul DeMeo & Danny Bilson -- creators of the groundbreaking TV series The Flash -- and illustrated by Ken Lashley, one of the biggest questions of 2006 is answered: Who will wear the ring?

Infinite Crisis aimed a mortal blow at the legacy of the Fastest Man Alive -- but what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger! Be here for a historic chapter in the legacy of The Flash!

32 pages, $2.99, in stores on June 21.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
Any plans to include Jenni and/or Bart?
From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I just finished the Run (har) of Wally's book. Johns' run ended well I thought, the remainder of the series was very lackluster.

I'll miss this series though, we'll have to see what happens next...before I decide if I want to continue my Flash obsession.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
So, now that IC is over, anyone have any further guesses about who the newest Flash will be?

SPOILER SPACE

/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/

It's apparently not Bart, nor Wally. I doubt it's Barry come back from the dead. Could it be Jay? He still has speed powers. I can't begin to guess (though I suppose it could be Wally's son all grown up).

Who wants to take a stab at it?

[ June 08, 2006, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Vee ]

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Bart.

Readers were warned "not to get attached to the first Flash you see" in F:FMA #1. Lo and behold, Jay's on page 2.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walkwithcrowds
Skinny wee Scottish guy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for walkwithcrowds   Email walkwithcrowds         Edit/Delete Post     
I think it'll be Bart.

I know the Speed Force is gone but, Jay still has his "inate" speed due to the "X - Gene" or whatever the DC version is called.

Well Bart inherited his speed through his family, so he should have it on a genetic level as opposed to having it as a "gift".

That's my theory anyway...I'll have to wait and see how it pans out.

Like I said, I think it'll be Bart but I really hope it'll be Wally. He's EARNED that suit!! Let him keep it.

--------------------
Be lucky

From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I think it's going to be Wally and his family. It adds a new dimension to the "legacy" theme. And with Bart and Jesse speedless, there's room for a few Flashes.

Just curious, anyone else catch Bart's comment about Wally and the twins in the first ish of 52?

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
Just curious, anyone else catch Bart's comment about Wally and the twins in the first ish of 52?

No. WWi?

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Where he said Wally and Linda are just taking some time to get away and that the twins are getting big, and annoying? I saw that. I felt that they were going to be using the twins in the new Flash.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah I got the same impression from that comment. Might be kind of neat to have the twins as Flash...brings back memories of Don & Dawn Allen! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stratum
Booster Club President

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stratum           Edit/Delete Post     
I think the statement was a red herring to skew our thoughts in one direction.

Personally, I have no idea who it would be. But as much as I love Barry, it SHOULD be Wally. Like it was said, earlier, he earned it.

Jamie

From: Wood River, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The topic of my not liking Geoff Johns's Flash run started rolling along in the Mark Bagley thread, so I thought I should post this here so that the Bagley thread doesn't go too far off topic.

I should start by saying that I do like a lot of Geoff's work: I think his JSA was great up through # 75, Green Lantern: Rebirth and Green Lantern Corps: Recharge are two of my favorite mini-series of all time, and while the Green Lantern ongoing took several issues to find its footing, it's been consistently good for a long time and still counting.

Now, when I got back into comics in early 2005, one of the first things I got into was Geoff's Flash swan song, the Rogue War arc. On first read, I found it a non-stop thrill machine, but subsequent reads have left me feeling that the first half is great -- y'know, when there's actually Rogues fighting each other, as opposed to the way most of them dissapear halfway through -- but the second half much less so.

But it was good enough overall for me to want more, so I looked around for trades of Geoff's other Flash arcs. The one I finally found collected the arc where Wally doesn't remember who he is anymore. I was dissapointed. Everybody seems to like Johns's hardened Captain Cold, but I thought it was just a bunch of cheezy tough-guy posturing.

Having read online that the pre-200 issues are Johns's best, I finally tracked down a trade collecting one of the earlier arcs, the one with Blacksmith leading the Rogues. And I had a similar reaction to the one I had to Rogue War: it's really good for a while, and then it just comes undone. It's also a case of Johns building up a promising new villainess only for her defeat to come way too easily -- see also: Lyssa Drak in The Sinestro Corps War -- and I must add that Blacksmith being captured by an angry mob came across as very unsettling in a way that Johns probably didn't intend; there is a paternalistic streak to his stories that is adequately balanced in his better work, but off-balance in his lesser work.

There's also the matter of the art. I doubt many people would disagree that Howard Porter and Alberto Dose did not do very good work on Flash. And, TBH, I don't think Scott Kolins was that much better than them. The dreary coloring certainly didn't help any of these artists. Of course, there's the other side of the art issue, where I did sorta like Geoff's early Teen Titans arcs, but only because of Mike McKone's art.

I hope this post isn't too self-indulgent. It has helped me figure out exactly why I didn't like Geoff's Flash, and Legion World is one of the few forums where I feel comfortable posting these ruminations.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, first off there's like three Flash threads in Gym'lls and I was unsure which one to use.

Second, I figured I'd post solely to complain about my lack of enjoyment of this title. Peyer has not helped matters, though his idea for a villian, Spin, is appreciated for at least being semi-original.

Honestly, I didn't sign on in Flash fandom to read about Wally's kids. Two writers and so far I find them extrememly annoying. I don't like a 'Flash family'. I want solo-Flash stories with occassional guest appearances by Jay Garrick, and some other speedsters (but not every issue). Honestly, when Waid kept having the entire "Flash Family" show up so often in his original run I got tired of it, and at least I liked all them.

This isn't what I'm looking for in a Flash comic and Wally West is my favorite DC hero (non-Legion) of them all. The kids got to go, DC can pick the way they want to do it (hey, Marvel did).

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm with Cobie. I was glad to have Wally back, but I dropped the book three or four issues in. I was unaware DC was publishing 'The Incredibles'.

Beyond the unappealing kids taking center stage, I'm bothered that Linda has gotten regulated to the 'team scientist' role. I can't get behind it and it seems too forced, making the whole of the West family a super-heroic, techie team. Rather than a simple family whose patriarch juggles being a super-hero.

From the issues I read, there was little interaction between the Wests beyond fighting or worrying over their kids. I never thought I'd be against our heroes growing up, but damn if having those kids (or at least aging them) hasn't ruined Wally and Linda for me.

The best Wally I've seen since his return has actually been in Brave and the Bold. Neither Justice League or The Flash have really given Wally the attention he deserves or a portrayal I can rally behind (minus his return issue).

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.