Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The Flash! (Wally West) (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: The Flash! (Wally West)
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
Creepy, creepy exploration of Mick Rory, aka HEAT WAVE this month.

I never knew a whole heck of a lot about this character... I always found his costume and m.o. a bit boring, to tell the truth. But not anymore.

It's pretty rare to show me a character who at once arouses sympathy and horror. Usually, it's pretty tellingly weighted one way or the other. Heat Wave now is 'my' exemplar of balancing the two. He'll be totally believable whichever 'side' of the fence he lands on.

Could someone spoil this for me? What's so creepy about Heatwave?
From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Phipps
I'm actually the Time Trapper...shhhhhh

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Phipps   Email Charles Phipps         Edit/Delete Post     
He killed his entire family.

--------------------
Author of "Machine Goddess" and "The Undying Machine"
Machine Goddess: http://tinyurl.com/gkp5z
Undying Machine: http://tinyurl.com/jvw9p

Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliconDream
I'd rather not be

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiliconDream   Email SiliconDream         Edit/Delete Post     
And burned down the circus he worked at, with all the performers still inside. And, at present time, he's just torched a bar. Don't think there was any indication of whether the bartender got out or not.
From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I may have missed the point, but HeatWave's redemption has already been revealed a joke in my eyes. I despise the character now.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
And I thought Murmur was the creepiest Flash foe. Not anymore. Heat Wave scares the crap outta me.

And Lash, I agree. I despise Heat Wave as well. But I guess we are supposed to.

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
What keeps Heat Wave interesting to me is the fact that as creeped out as we the readers might be by him-- or as weirded out as the characters in FLASH are by him-- he's more creeped and weirded out by himself.

I don't despise him, though. Then again, I wasn't really invested in his redemption-- truthfully, I never paid much attention to him until now.

I know he was involved in Cadmus for awhile, during the SUPERBOY series-- was that where your affection for the character and his redemption comes from? Or from earlier runs of THE FLASH?

In general, I enjoy redemption stories and 'pull' for the characters involved.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Yes, he got heavy play In SUPERBOY for a while there, and really faught prejudice to be a hero. Burned to ashes in one panel.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Heatwave officially scares the shit out of me now. And I love it.

I never really was into Heatwave 'going good' before...it seemed like too many of Flash's traditional badguys were doing that (and Piper as a hero is done very well, and I really like the way the original Trickster has been written since Underworld Unleashed).

Man, is Heatwave scary now. He is definately the biggest sicko of the Rogues now and it was very fitting that he was hunting the biggest sicko of Flash's new baddies, Murmur. Heatwave's belief that he's just on the edge of being good makes it even scarier and more tragic. Perhaps we'll soon see that Capt. Cold may have been the only one to really ever have caught onto him before.

It's the scenes with all the old Rogues that I really like, and I'm enjoying how John's has now fleshed out the Top along the same lines that he did Capt. Cold, Weather Wizard and Mirror Master. And now Heatwave, but in a waaaaay different way.

Suddenly, I'm interested in seeing what is going to happen to Heatwave.

And the panel where he burns down his parents, followed by the panel where he burns the circus down, was definatley a big WTF? moment for me.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Ba-da- [Bump] for issue 219, first part of an x-over with Wonder Woman; the second part is WW 214, out next month.

I finally caught up with the Top and Heatwave issues last weekend. I give them Five Jenni's: [Wink] [Wink] [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

This book is firing on all cylinders. Hope the cross-over doesn't derail its momentum any heading into the Rogue Wars...

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
The first part didn't... but it sure pushed Zoom into Heatwave-level creepiness.

spoilers

spoilers

spoilers

spoilers

spoilers

spoilers

spoilers

spoilers

A golden-age character meets her maker in this issue, too. Priscilla Rich, the original Cheetah is killed by Barbara Minerva, at the prompting of Zoom. She doesn't even get a line... which I found sort of disrespectful.

I'm still smarting from events in last week's WOLVERINE #25, though... so maybe I'm a bit oversensitive.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Yes, I enjoyed the pearance of WONDER WOMAN. Ummm, so she's blind now? I'm not hep to that development.

This issue was good enough to make me want to get the conclusion in WW, a title I don't currently collect. I can't say that for 99% of other crossovers. I might very well get it.

And the ART-- I've loved JUSTINIANO since I first saw him in the BEAST BOY mini, and his fill-ins on various issues of the last TITANS run.

For goodness' SAKE, DC!!! Put Justiniano on a regular gig, or rotate him on arcs with a slower artist!!!

--------------------

Pov

I'm pretty sure Justiniano has at least a mini-series coming up, Lashie... I think it's even something I was planning on preordering, if I haven't already. I'll have to do a little research and get back to you.

[ February 27, 2005, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: Pov ]

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

Yes indeed, he's drawing the DAY OF VENGEANCE mini-series, 1 of 4 that spins out of COUNTDOWN. Here's the info on #2 that I found in my preorders:

quote:
DAY OF VENGEANCE #2
Written by Bill Willingham
Art by Justiniano & Walden Wong
Cover by Walter Simonson
On sale May 18 • 2 of 6 • 32 pg, FC, $2.50 US

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Thanks for the info, Povvins!

--------------------

Beagz
5 of 9

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beagz   Email Beagz         Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, so what happened to Wonder Woman??
How come she's blind?

--------------------
You can never quit believiing in your dreams ... or yourself.
-----
You GOTTA listen to Levi Kreis.

From: Aggieland | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.