Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » FABLES (Spoilers Possible For the TPB Folks) (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: FABLES (Spoilers Possible For the TPB Folks)
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
I love this book. The wondrous Teeds turned me on to it, and I haven't looked back. Jumped in and bought all four trades and have been buying the monthlies since 27. Wonderful, wonderful title. And 34 is the start of a new storyline... so it's a perfect time to jump on!

And WHEN you fall for this book, you can go back like I did and buy all the trades. The fifth has just been solicited for March, which will catch you up to -this- storyline. [Cool]

[ August 13, 2007, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Pov ]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
Been getting the pamphlets since it started. It's had a down or two, but the quality level on the whole has been pretty high.

It's a cliche, but it's the kind of comic you can give to people who say they don't like comics.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Have almost all of these, I think I'm missing 1 to 3. Got to say I really like this. some really nice moments, especially the recent revalation about Snows last baby. Really sad in a way.

Artwork is nice, characterization is good and all in all you do find yourself routing for the good guys in this one.

So.

Anyone got any ideas who the Adversary is?

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I’ve been getting this since about issue 8 or so and have been absolutely loving it—one of my top ten the last few years.

Like OM said, it’s the kind of comic you give to people who don’t read comics. I’d rate it Vertigo’s consistent best over the last few years (haven’t kept up with Lucifer though, I have to say).

While Bigby and Snow are the stars (and really likeable), there are so many other great characters that I enjoy seeing, like Briar Rose, the lovable rogue Prince Charming (and Blackbeard too, he was fun!), and Blue Boy is as lovable as they get. Hard to have a favorite out of such a great and perfectly written cast.

We had some really good ideas about who the Adversary was on the Vertigo thread, but nowadays we’re not so sure. I think it was Super Lad Kid who thought it might be Gepetto (back before that became an obvious possibility), but now we were thinking that might be too obvious…maybe Gepetto is only working (as a traitor or slave) for the Adversary?

Great book, and highly recommended!

Oh, and I loved the Bigby in WWII stories—even though they might not be some people’s cup of tea. I love that kind of thing.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

Those were my first "off-the-rack" issues, Des. I wasn't thrilled with the art, but really liked Bigby. Then I got all the trades. <hook-in-mouth> [Drool]

Far... Snow's 7th baby. [Frown] I darn near cried during that scene. So incredibly sad. I hope the child makes its way to its father's side, and we "see" them soon.

"Then can I stay?" ... "No, they wouldn't understand." [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] I'm feeling a little verklempt... [Frown]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Faraway Lad:

Walt Disney.

They would never do it, but hey.....

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

[ROTFLMAO]

--------------------

Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevis   Email Bevis         Edit/Delete Post     
Snow and her baby is one of the few times that I've actually felt like I could cry at a comic. Even though I knew from early on what was going on with that story (and I think it was written in such a way that it wasn't *that* huge of a mystery anyway and wasn't meant to be)that final scene with them was absolutely gut-wrenching.

I also really like the fact that no-one is sacred in this title. You get the feeling that anything could hapen, that pretty much anyone could die and that just adds to it. I was so, so shocked when Bluebeard's story finished, and the same for Pinnocchio. Just completely unexpected. Ok so Willingham has written it so that he can always have a get out clause (much like with Snow getting shot) but that doesn't mean that he'll use it even if he can.

And the art is really some of the best in comics at the moment. I like the fact that Bucky is the 'main' artist but that they use other artists for other stories to go with the feel of it. Not an uncommon practice within Vertigo but Fables does it especially well.

As for the Adevrsary... I dunno. I've seen some really good theories floating around and also some explanations of who it *can't* be (mostly because of copywright reasons) but I'm not sure. I don't think it is Geppeto because of what has been said in a couple of issues (he's a prisoner at least though, but could be a willing traitor) but who it *actually* is I dunno. I hope the expectation meets the pay off though. Willingham is writing it in such a way that it's pretty certain that he will reveal it at some point, but you never know. He could just be stringing us all along.

--------------------
Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
quote:
Originally posted by Faraway Lad:

Walt Disney.

They would never do it, but hey.....

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

Don't read this if you don't want to know who the Adversary is...

The guy whoused to own the comic book store i went too was friends with the creator of Fables. So i knew like a year in advance that Red riding hood was coming back and that she wasn't who she appeared to be. He did tell me that he knew who orginally was supposed to be the Adversary. They had orginally planned on having Peter Pan being the Adversary. The kid that never grew up and is pisssed off at the world. This would be the connection to Pinnochino sorta being kindred sprits and stuff. But some strange copyright law in England kicked in where in England only to use the likness of Peter Pan you have to get the families approval. Well, they didn't care about the rest of the world but in England they couldn't use Peter as the Adversary.

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Actually it's everywhere. Peter Pan is governed by a slightly odd copywright law in that when J M Barrie died he left all the rights for Peter Pan to the Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital in London, which means that all royalties, and usually some of the profits, go to the hospital. And because the hospital is a charity in some ways and Peter Pan was a bequest rather than just teh bog standard 'writer's copywright' thingy the use of any of the characters has to be approved by a board before it can go ahead. As I understand it they very rarely turn anything down simply because the more they turn down the less money they get (natch) but they probably also have a thing about how the character is used and I think having him as a bad guy might not go down too well with them.

By the way, going off on a tangent, did you know that Barrie made up the name 'Wendy' just for Peter Pan?

--------------------

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Really? I didn't know that. How did he come up wiht that?

Saw Finding Nervland and loved the movie so I am glad that Peter is not the villian. It would so go aganist the orginal intent.

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Like everyone here I don’t think Geppeto is the adversary, although he may be a more willing supporter than a prisoner.

As for Peter Pan I cant see it. To me the Adversary has to be cunning, bitter and willing to condone slaughter and slavery. I think for story telling he/she has to be evil. As a boy who never grows up, Peter would not really be that calculating, or evil, although I could see him being unconsciously cruel.

I wonder if there are any Fable villains we haven’t seen yet who could take on the traditional bad guy role.

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad

Mind you as Gigi has just reminded me there is one fable so horrible, so terrible that it could just possibly drive all other fables before it. Its power is immense as millions of Parents are sucked into its ravening maw along with all the children who belive. It is a huge cruel massive devouring monster,

and its purple. [Confused]

Yes folks the Adversary is Barney! [Wink]

Fear stalks the land when he is near, no wonder my children taught me this rhyme to ward off his evil,

“I Love you
You love me
Lets get together to kill Barney.

With a M47 and a Kalishnikov,
Take good aim and blow his head off”

[ROTFLMAO]

--------------------
Faithfull

Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Lad Kid   Email Super Lad Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Add me to the list of people genuinly touched by the Snow/baby-zephyr scene. I have a really bad feeling that baby Zeph won't quite make it to papa, but will be controlled/manipulated by some evil force. This is not a story that will end hapilly ever after.

The art by Buckingham is among the best on the market these days. Something about it just draws me in and makes me feel like a part of the story. As far as I'm concerned, Buck should be the only artist allowed to draw this series!

I don't really care for the tangents like the WWII story or this month's Jack in Hollywood story. They just bore me for some reason and so far have been the only low points in the series.

As for who the adversary is - I also think Gheppeto is now too obvious of an answer. The possibilites are still wide open, even though Willingham says that all of the clues are there for us. I liked one person's suggestion of Santa Clause, but I don't think that will happen. I agree that Peter Pan would have been a dissapointing choice.

Other things I like about the book -

1. Time is not static - Snow's head-wound recovery or pregnancy weren't dragged out at all. Since he pretty much has his own little universe to deal with, Willingham can slow down or stretch time as his stories dictate. The babies re already one year old! Great, keep it moving!

2. Page numbers! Quite possibly the only DC book left that still hast them! And decorated quite nicely, too!

3. As Bevis mentioned, the sense tht no one is safe. Not even Snow and Bigby. If Pinnoccio's head can go flying, anybody's can. I'm suddenly very fearful for Snow's babies, especially considering Baba Yaga's taste in dining!

4. The supporting cast. Each fable has unique personalities that play off of each other quite well. Just like the Legion, there are certain background characters that appear infrequently, but slowly become favorites that you want to see more of. Personally, I want to see more of the Hansel & Gretel witch (can't think of her name).

5. The possibilities. Willingham hasn't even tapped into Alice's Wonderland, Oz (is that off-limits due to copyrights?) or the Arabian Nights, let alone Chinese or African fables. Just where are Aladdin, Ali Baba, and Sinbad hanging out, anyway?

From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

I'm pretty sure he's said that Oz is off limits because the rights are owned by someone else, but I'm not sure about Alice. In the garden there is a tree or a statue of Alice (can't recall which) but I've not seen any other characters from the books. Maybe Willingham is just being careful and only really using folk or fairy tales to avoid any possible conflict of rights. That'd certainly make sense.

--------------------

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.