Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » FABLES (Spoilers Possible For the TPB Folks) (Page 10)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: FABLES (Spoilers Possible For the TPB Folks)
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Just caught up on #91 in which Gepetto makes a play for supreme power of Fabletown leading Ozma to do as well. Like just about every issue, its jam-packed with noticable events and characterization and is just a pure pleasure to read. When "Comic Book Review Month" is complete I'll likely post my top five best comics currently in the industry and like in all other years, Fables will be #1 on that list. Its hands-down the best comic out there.

Willingham writes Gepetto in a really incredible way. You could almost replace Gepetto with Hitler in scenes. He's just so incredibly wicked and awful, yet he's cunning and he's subtle in his every move. The set-up for a potential power-grab was well-done; Willingham is obviously well versed with how recent dictators and ancient ones rose to power.

I'm interested in the future adventure of Reynard the Fox. I've always liked the character and the latest developments seem to be leading to more story.

Another highlight was Bufkin's heroic takedown of Baba Yaga, which kind of surprised me in a way that left me feeling delighted. This little subplot seemed to be dragging on over a long series of issues and yet whenever we returned to it, I continued to be really interested in it. Willingham knows how to make readers care and root for the underdog in a big way (Blue, Flycatcher, now Bufkin). I thought the whole sequence was cheer-worthy.

BTW, does anyone find Pinnochio extremely annoying? [Big Grin] Of all the Fables I probably find he and Beast to be the most annoying. On the other hand, one annoying character I find to be quite fun to read is the Badger rabble rouser.

I also read Cinderella #1 and #2 and agree with Nancy: a well-done, solid read and totally worth the purchase. Cinderella is incredibly likeable, the adventure is already a lot of fun with enough suspense and action to keep a strong dynamic going. Of call the Fables to have a spin-off mini right now, using Cindi is the one I'm glad they did.

I hadn't realized the obvious Soviet Union comparison and that makes it work even better. Really great stuff.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

PS - my favorite Fable right now, since Blue is dead, is probably Frau Totenkinder. She might just be my current favorite character in comics.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Having nothing to do with the fact that she's now young and hot, eh? [Wink]
But yeah, agreed... on all points. I've especially been loving the Bufkin storyline... From flinging poop (and WORSE!) to slinging a blade, who knew! I loves me some monkey action [LOL]

One point-- I think the Fables *are* going to need Geppetto's intel on Mr. Dark; whether he helps them willingly or not, wellll... [Hmmm?]

P.S. ...non-sequitur of the day: Who thinks "Full-Frontal Dryads" would make a cool band name?? [Wink]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Well, I've enjoyed the latest two-parter quite a bit!

Fly has become a favorite, as I suspect many readers would feel about him, and I love seeing his kingdom every so often. It's also great to see it growing and evolving, even knowing that won't be easy and some hard decisions had to be made. I especially like seeing Fly act very kingly--he seems to naturally fit the role. And Willingham did such a good job using baseball to showcase the internal tensions among the populice.

Fly visiting Blue's grave was a nice, quiet moment that actually evoked some emotion in me.

As for the guest artist David Lapham, I've come to really enjoy his artwork in recent years (see my David Lapham is a genius post here). I liked that they didn't do the borders without Bucky; that's kind of his schtikt and it wouldn't feel right for the borders to be there without him.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey! I recently completed reading Vols. 2 & 3 of the Fables TPBs and wanted to thank all those who recommended the series to me about a year and a half ago when I created a poll to help me decide which TPBs I should but next. At that point I took the voters' advice and bought Vol. 1.

I held onto it for awhile and eventually read it. I definitely enjoyed that Volume. However, the "wow" factor wasn't really in play for me. It was entertaining, though, and I resolved to buy more trades when I got around to it. Eventually, I got Vol. 2 "Animal Farm" on eBay and held onto it and held onto it and held onto it. I think maybe it was a low priority because the first wasn't a complete slamdunk.

However, for some reason I bought Vol. 3 "Storybook Love" while in Orlando on vacation last week. I'd brought "Animal Farm" along with me as one of a few trades I might get around to reading. I brought lots, so I'd have a lot to choose from knowing I'd never read more than a couple. For some reason I was leaning toward Fables...maybe because of my proximity to the Magic Kingdom? [Smile] So I bought Vol. 3 and that helped to solidify that I'd be reading Fables trades next.

Wow! Fables really gets a lot better after the opening story arc, doesn't it? I mean Vol. 1 is a charming (pun! [Big Grin] ) introduction to the characters and situation with a little bit of a subversive mystery framing as a plot. But 2 & 3 really get into the characters and set the story into a real forward motion. Now, I'm all about the Snow White and Bigby Wolf after three volumes!

It was also kind of shocking how short-lived certain antagonists turned out to be. I really expected that to go on a lot longer, but they got really terrific send-offs in a great story.

I don't know if Mark Bucking ham's still around, but his work on Fables is some of the best I've ever seen him do. And Bill Willingham? I swear it's hard to believe he's the same writer who's helping to drive JSA into the ground! Stick to creator-owned stuff, Bill!

Anyhow, I can't wait to start experiencing the rest of the series through trades as I go along. I've a feeling I won't be taking to terribly long to get caught up!

Beware spoilers, though, they pop up everywhere! I think, for example, that I may have spoiled the mystery of the Adversary's identity simply by reading the solicitation info that refers to the Adversary as ________'s father. Anyone who knows ________, knows who the father is! [Frown] I also made the mistake of browsing Cobalt's post previous to this one which spoils an upcoming death. Oh well, my fault for ignoring the thread's spoiler warning!

Anyhow, thanks again, LW Fables fans!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Jeepers, sorry for the spoiler, Lardy! Definitely beware of them.

Bucky is still around and absolutely better than EVER. His art and Bill's stories have continued to just get better over time.

I agree that volumes 2 and 3 really take things up a notch. The next few will keep that progression going.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
How far does it go until the war against the Adversary is over? I'm pretty sure I read it has occurred, but I'm not entirely clear about when. I ask because that may influence exactly how far I want to go as far as buying trades before pausing for whatever happens afterward and proceeding further.

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Jeepers, sorry for the spoiler, Lardy! Definitely beware of them.

No worries--my own damn fault! And at least I don't know the whys, whens, etc. of it. [Yes]

(Garsh! I feel kinda like STU and his Lost experience! [Big Grin] )

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Officer Taylor:
I don't know if Mark Buckingham's still around, but his work on Fables is some of the best I've ever seen him do. And Bill Willingham? I swear it's hard to believe he's the same writer who's helping to drive JSA into the ground! Stick to creator-owned stuff, Bill!

Buckingham's still around every other arc, although his style's noticably mutated over the years.

[And I'm not sure Fables is creator-owned. Does anyone know for sure?]

quote:
Originally posted by Officer Taylor:
How far does it go until the war against the Adversary is over? I'm pretty sure I read it has occurred, but I'm not entirely clear about when. I ask because that may influence exactly how far I want to go as far as buying trades before pausing for whatever happens afterward and proceeding further.

#75.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by Reboot:

[And I'm not sure Fables is creator-owned. Does anyone know for sure?]

Yeah, I may have misspoken. I assumed he did because of the "created by" blurb that appears in the credits box. I think Gaiman has, like, a limited ownership of Morpheus with DC, but it's incomplete because of DC's Sandman character and such. I don't see any reason why Bill wouldn't own Fables, but who knows? Maybe because the characters they're based on are public domain?

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Hm. The indica in the trades gives the copyright to both Bill and DC. I'm not sure if that implies co-ownership or just that DC has the rights to publish. In any case it appears Bill isn't just doing work-for-hire.

--------------------

Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Probably co-ownership in that case - which is kind of what I thought (similar to Gaiman & the Endless), but wasn't sure.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Just had to comment on what an incredibly awesome storyline "March of the Wooden Soldiers" was! I won't go into any spoilers, but it's hard to believe Fables could ever get any better than this! (but I feel confident it will!)

The next TPB "The Mean Seasons" was solid as well. Relatively quiet, but full of lots of fun developments, including a number of new, incredibly cute arrivals. I predicted the twist that came in the last chapter a few pages before the reveal. Heartbreaking! And can't wait to see what happens down the road.

I have two more to read "Homelands" and "Arabian Nights (and Days)" before I continue the collection.

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

One note about "March": The death of Click Here For A SpoilerWeyland particularly saddened me. I liked him a lot in "Animal Farm" and thought he had a lot of potential. Not even sure what story he was from, actually. [Frown]

--------------------

stuorstew
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stuorstew   Email stuorstew         Edit/Delete Post     
I believe Weyland came from Norse mythology
From: Dorset, England | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Yeah, stew, you're right...curiosity overwhelmed me, and I looked him up on Wikipedia. Lots of characters I don't recognize but cool to discover more about them as the series goes on!

--------------------

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.