Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » FABLES (Spoilers Possible For the TPB Folks) (Page 11)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: FABLES (Spoilers Possible For the TPB Folks)
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
So the latest story with Snow and Rose Red's origin has been very good. I knew where Willigham was going with the Dwarves part, but even though it was all implied...ugh...that was awful to read. I'm thankful it was only implied.

I love me some Snow and feel the urge to protect her.

The idea of anthropomorphic princes wandering through the forest constantly and Rose Red missing out on them was brillaint.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
That issue went a long way to deprogram me from Disney's Snow White tale.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, Uncle Walt and co. certainly glossed over Snow's story... [Shudder]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
So the latest story with Snow and Rose Red's origin has been very good. I knew where Willigham was going with the Dwarves part, but even though it was all implied...ugh...that was awful to read. I'm thankful it was only implied.

I love me some Snow and feel the urge to protect her.

The idea of anthropomorphic princes wandering through the forest constantly and Rose Red missing out on them was brillaint.

That was in the OGN that they did as well...or at least implied.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
The dwarves as Snow White's protectors/guardians weren't a Walt Disney invention - that's been their role since the story of Snow White began!

I found Willingham's corruption of them in that very pretty to look at but otherwise very badly written 1001 Nights of Snowfall book disgusting... and the final nail in the coffin of my enjoyment of this Fables franchise.

It was such a cheap and unnecessary development IMO and almost seemed like Willingham's desperate way of injecting more bathos and adult [Roll Eyes] themes into Fables. Like, "we've got everything else going on in this book - time for some rape and sexual torture?" Ugh.

Ever since Identity Crisis I am so over rape used as any sort of story-telling device in my comics, even so-called adult Vertigo ones.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
It's great to see Rose Red back on her feet and ready to restore order.

She really was a bit of a stinker in her younger days... but she's redeemed herself - and about to reprove herself now, I wager.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karie
Tart!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karie   Email Karie         Edit/Delete Post     
I've slowly been working my way through the TPB's, our local library has them. Only problem is, they don't have all of them, and I'm not really getting them in the correct order. But I'm enjoying them so much. The storylines and artwork are great!
From: Durban, South Africa & Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I really enjoyed Rose Red stepping up and taking charge of the farm. She's become such a well-developed, strong character. It just feels good to see her being so strong.

I'm eagerly awaiting the duel to come with Frau and Mister Dark!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Read the big issue #100. Although I didn't like the Mister Dark storyline at the beginning, I warmed up to it and this final battle between Totenkinder/Bellflower and Dark was good. The battle of wits and skill, with the Fables just waiting for the outcome ... pretty hard to depend on just one Fable for defense, even if they did have back-up plans. One story ends and several others begin, with Click Here For A Spoilerthe Fables retreating to Haven, Mister Dark still out there, a treacherous nurse and Beauty and Beast's baby.

The text story signaled more trouble to come as well. And I always thought that Pinnocchio was a little perv!

There were some supplemental short stories, answers to "celebrity" questions, which were amusing.

Something different in the addition of the puppet theatre and the board game, but they didn't do anything for me. I would have preferred more story or guest artwork.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

Pov

Agreed on all points, Ms. Cramer... the extras, while unique, really weren't worth the bump up to TPB territory pricewise; I don't know whether to store #100 with the rest of my Fables run or just throw it on my trades shelf with the rest of them! [sigh] Novel ideas, yes, but ultimately wasted on me. [shrug]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

The latest 'superhero' storyline isn't really interesting me all that much, but I'm totally enjoying all the other moments each issue presents (Snow & Bigby falling asleep post coitus in the enchanted forest was hilarious and cute). I'm disliking Ozma a bit, as I'm sure I'm intended to, but at least I enjoyed her meanness to Pinnochio, who deserves it.

Super-Goat was awesome, of course.

I'm also enjoying the heck out of the latest Cinderella miniseries, in which we meet her arch-nemesis, Silver-Slipper (I won't reveal who it is, which kind of puts the whole mini into focus). Cindi's stories are always really good and this one continues to show why she's such a cool character to have stand-alone stories like this.

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

There were some nice twists and turns in the Cinderella mini. What a great choice for a villain! Now any Cinderella tales will be part of the Fairest spin-off, so we probably won't see her for a while.

Has anyone seen the Fables One-Page that was handed out at San Diego? I looked around on-line but didn't come up with anything.

However, this one from 2009 has me guessing which one of the cubs will eventually become the North Wind.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

Pov

The Mr. Dark story didn't go anywhere I was expecting... almost anticlimactic. The covers and solicits were misleading, probably deliberately so... I remember someone, maybe the embodiment of Hope? telling Bellflower/Totenkinder that the great powers like Dark and the North Wind would always, MUST always have a representative... getting rid of Mr. Dark would just cause another to pop up in his place. We know one of the next story arcs is to be about one of the kids inheriting the role of North Wind from their grandfather... my suspicion is Click Here For A SpoilerNurse Spratt will assume Mr. Dark's role...

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I loved the Cinderella miniseries which had a nice strong finish. She may just be the best written spy in comics these days (step up your game Black Widow).

As FC mentions, the upcoming 'Fairest' series appears to be including her; I hope she keeps having her own minis anyway. Of all the Fables she stands apart as a solo lead the best (better than Jack even).

I definitely want some more Cold War era Cindy stories.

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I definitely want some more Cold War era Cindy stories.

Absolutely! Who else could run through the Russian snows in a bikini?

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.