Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » FABLES (Spoilers Possible For the TPB Folks) (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: FABLES (Spoilers Possible For the TPB Folks)
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I just read 75 and 76 together, too. I wasn't necessarily happy to see the Glory and Prince Charming go down, but it made for a better story than an all-out victory for the Fables. Prince Charming actually got to be a hero in the end, so not a bad finish.

Gepetto in Fabletown, arguing for his despotic approach - interesting. His comment about enjoying an annual conversation with talking bears was pretty good. You've got to figure he's not just going to sit peacefully in retirement.

I didn't particularly like Pinocchio looking like a real little boy (was he turned into a real boy at some point? Did I miss something?), but that's a really minor detail.

We've got some foreshadowing that all will not be well in the post-war world, which should make for more good stories.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevis   Email Bevis         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Pov:
quote:
Originally posted by Bevis:
There's an obvious out with the big death

Meaning the classic comic adage "If there's no body"?
Exactly. We've already seen that the major Fables can survive pretty horrendous damage (Snow and Goldilocks being the most obvious two, but Jack as well in his own series) so the fact that we don;t see a body and he's one of the most recognisable Fables in the Mundy world means that there's an easy way to bring him back if Willingham so chooses.

--------------------
Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller
Legion-Reference-File Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
I didn't particularly like Pinocchio looking like a real little boy (was he turned into a real boy at some point? Did I miss something?), but that's a really minor detail.
He was originally turned into a real boy by the Blue Fairy in his actual story, turned back into wood during the March of the Wooden Soldiers, and turned back to flesh when Blue brought him back to Gepetto in the Homelands story.

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
He was drawn as a little boy in the first arc of FABLES, by Lan Medina. Buckingham stylized his appearance to reflect his origins, but he was always meant to be a "real boy" until he had his head cut off in MotWS and reverted to a wooden (beheaded [Eek!] ) puppet. Bucky drew all of the invading soldiers with the same expression as Pinocchio; It was later revealed their hands and heads had been treated with the Blue Fairy elixir.

My complaint had more to do with Allred's change in depicting him between FABLES #57 and #76. I hate the "Little Orphan Annie" eyes 'Red gave him in #76.

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Agreed. I had to dig out my past issues to check - the blank eyes are actually sort of creepy. I wonder why Allred would have made him look so different from Buckingham's version - the other characters don't differ much.

There have been so many stories in this series, it's a good candidate for rereading from the start.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I used the first trade to win over another non-comic reader. He works for Disney, so it really was a hit for him.

And I just finished reading the trade "War and Pieces." The war was messy, the resolution sweet, and now I'm excited to see life post Adversary.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Just read my latest, #77 I believe... Are Fred and Mouse supposed to be Sword and Sorcery heroes Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser? [Hmmm?]
From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

That's what I figured, since the names are close and they look the same as they were drawn by Mike Mignola.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I thought that as well. I like the way a lot of these sort of characters turn up.

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

#78...

I guess we know why BillW went with Fred and Mouse. I don't think the creater of Fafhrd & GM would appreciate their fates... [Shudder]

So much going on in this issue. Loved how all of it's tied together, multiple threads in a greater tapestry. I see now how JJ's cover relates to the story, but don't know the significance of spiders to that character. Need to research the original Fables.

And [choke] ... Poor Blue... [Frown]

But an awesome issue... jam-packed without being too much. Can't wait for 79!

Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Fables: the TV show?

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

Hmmm.

As long as it's not a CW teenfest, I'm interested.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Not really interested in a TV show unless I hear from several sources--including both other posters and critical reviews--that its the greatest thing since sliced bread.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
I think it has potential, but someone else said they didn't think Disney would want to seem to mess with their own versions.

Makes me think they are doing the pilot and buying up the rights in order to stifle it to protect theirs, much like folks said Microsoft would do to young startup companies.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
#81...

Dammit. [sob]

Two deaths, and I think they're both directly linked to Mister Dark. One is obvious, but the second, bigger one has been festering for awhile now. Click Here For A SpoilerI don't think Blue's infection from the Witching Cloak and his wasting resemblance to Fred, Grey and now Kay is a coincidence. I'm just glad he's buried in Haven and not one of Dark's potential "tooth zombies" [choke]

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.