Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Justice League (Page 39)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 41 pages: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41   
Author Topic: Justice League
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Ew. Pass on the new Dr. Mist, then.

The new JLA sub-chapter looks odd. Hawkman, Green Arrow, Catwoman, Katana and Steve-Trevor-with-guns are very 'street-level,' Vibe is just, ugh, Vibe (200 quatloo says he's killed off in an 'ironic' way for the lulz), and the Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern-flavor-of-the-month and Geoff-John's-imaginary-girlfriend-Stargirl seem like they would belong on another team entirely, power-wise.

Catwoman seems an odd fit, of all the possible Bat-adjacent folk that could show up on a JLA team, and the only part of that that intrigues me is that she's meeting up with Katana, and making a Birds of Prey connection, since she and the Birds of Prey seem like they'd make an interesting fit (as allies, rivals and / or foes, depending on the situation).

It almost feels like an Avengers the Movie line-up. Some super heavy hitters (Thor, Iron Man, Hulk / Manhunter, Green Lantern), Malcolm in the Middle (Captain America / Vibe, Stargirl) and some SHIELD agents with guns or whatever (Black Widow, Hawkeye / Katana, Catwoman, Trevor, Green Arrow, Hawkman).

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, he's not our Dr. Mist

Click Here For A SpoilerHe's a flunky of Faust no less.

and that JLA looks like Dark Avengers ... or something ...

edgy edgy edgy ... its been done.

<------ so bitter.

[ September 13, 2012, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Power Boy ]

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Uh, set...Stargirl was patterned after Geoffs sister who passed away at a rather young age:

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/050904-BestShots.html

"On July 17, 1996, Courtney Johns was aboard the ill-fated TWA Flight 800. Three years later, her brother, Geoff would immortalize her as Courtney Whitmore, the new Star Spangled Kid."

That's why he has such an affinity for the character.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Regarding Dr. Mist:

Click Here For A SpoilerHe is presented as being more powerful than I recall seeing him presnted before. His betrayal is explained well and quickly - say as opposed to Comet Queen's betrayal in recent Legion issues. Mist is given a back story in which the reason that he first pursued mystic powers was in order revive his dead love. The current storyline has several characters and groups competing to gain access to the Books of Magic. Mists' motivation is to use one of the books to revive his lost love.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Wow Dev - I never knew that. Almost makes me cry. That's really sweet. I liked Star Girl in JSA and have to imagine that Johns will continue to characterize her that way considering... (the fact that her costume is the same indicates as much)

Can't say much for Vibe though. We've seen two images of him so far and he's on his knees both times in a less than heroic way. If Johns wanted to impress us with him, that's two strikes...(maybe instead of break-dancing, he'll krunk)

I'm not in any way excited about JLoA. The main JL title has been a bit of a snoozefest, to be honest. It reminds me of the previous relaunch with Meltzer and Benes - a lot of hype without much substance.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
While I love Stargirl, I do wish they'd had her join the JLI instead of canceling that book and possibly replacing it with this lineup.

This seems more like Justice League Black Ops to me, and Stargirl sure seems out of place!

Hmm... maybe DC's going the Avengers route and is planning to have multiple JL teams sprout up too.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bicycle Repair Man
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bicycle Repair Man   Email Bicycle Repair Man         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
So, recent news on another JLA about to be formed. All I can say is - that's an... interesting lineup.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/26/catwoman-martian-manhunter-form-new-justice-league-of-america

Has anyone else looked closely at the image that accompanies this article?

That is not the current United States flag ... at least, not on our Earth.
(It's got the wrong star-pattern: it looks like the pre-Alaska-and-Hawaii 48-star flag)

So, is this:

A) A sign of some previously-unrevealed difference in the DCnU Earth which will be explored in the new series, or

B) A sign of a lazy artist and an incompetent editor?

Place yer bets ...

--------------------
"Gee, Brainy, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Bouncing Boy: try to take over the United Planets!!"
They're B.B. and The Brain ...

From: Monty Python's Flying Circus | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

I think it's just a case of:

c) artistic license

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Whoa! Tony Daniel delivered some gorgeous artwork for this week's Justice League #13. One of the most beautifully rendered battles I ever recall seeing between Wonder Woman and the Cheetah. And, I'm pretty sure I haven't missed a WW/Cheetah battle in over 30 years. This was a very personal issue that focused on the relationships and growing friendships of the members. Barry's support of Vic hit all the right notes.

My biggest complaint: Skinny Amanda Waller. Yuck. If she's going to be a regular in this book she needs to be plump!!

[ October 17, 2012, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

Jay Kay
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Kay   Email Jay Kay         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:
Whoa! Tony Daniel delivered some gorgeous artwork for this week's Justice League #13. One of the most beautifully rendered battles I ever recall seeing between Wonder Woman and the Cheetah. And, I'm pretty sure I haven't missed a WW/Cheetah battle in over 30 years. This was a very personal issue that focused on the relationships and growing friendships of the members. Barry's support of Vic hit all the right notes.

My biggest complaint: Skinny Amanda Waller. Yuck. If she's going to be a regular in this book she needs to be plump!!

Agreed, Tony KILLED this issue. Really makes me look forward to him getting on Action after the Morrison team leaves. I enjoyed the scenes with Flash and Cyborg and the team at the Watchtower telling Diana that they want to help her: the last six (regular) issues of the book were about the idea that to truly protect mankind, they have to become the image, these godly "Super Friends" that the regular public believes them to be, and this really starts them on that path.

As for Waller...yeah, I was annoying with that as well at first, but with the recent reveals that she was more of an active soldier, part of Team 7, I think it makes more sense that she's thinner in this take. She shouldn't be supermodel thin as some artists have made her to look like, but that's just an artist problem across all superhero comics, not just in this case.

Oh--and a little earlier, about the JLA line-up and the complaints on how different it is...I actually love the fact that we're not getting all the standard, safe choices. I mean, this is the "New 52," after all, what's the point if we don't get some new stories and ideas out of it? Why not have Catwoman team up with Martian Manhunter, Hawkman and Stargirl? That's something we haven't seen before, that's GREAT.

From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

A few New 52 annuals were released this week. The Justice League Dark annual took advantage of the extra pages to continue the story from the ongoing, and kick it up to epic level. For those not paying attention, the new 52 has given a lot more detail to the past romance between Constanine and Zatanna. His former mentor and her former lover, Nick Necro is the big bad, and he makes a very compelling villain.

We get some fun guests as well. So the epic battle pits:

Constantine
Black Orchid
Deadman
Frankenstein: Agent of Shade
The House of Mystery
Zatanna
Madame Xanadu
Timothy Hunter
Andrew Bennett, and
Amethyst

against:

Necro
Felix Faust
Dr. Mist
Black Boris
Blackbriar Thorn
The House of Secrets;
and an army of hooded goons.

The action takes place in Nanda Parbat. It's a battle for the ultimate control of the Books of Magic. Black Orchid plays a major role in the outcome. Just as we think destiny has been fulfilled and the danger is past, things take a bizarre twist for a cliffhanger ending.

Comic Book reading just doesn't get any more fun than this.

[ November 12, 2012, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
I only skimmed the issue in the store and put it back, so I may be unfair in my assessment, but given the way the previous issue went this seems consistent. Though it did help crystalise my thoughts on why I'm not digging it. It's too much "Justice League", and not enough "Dark". I can expand my complaint to both Snyder and Lemire's work in the Dark line, it just feels empty to me. I know I keep unfairly harping on the Moore years, but really, that was the last time these characters integrated fully with the DCU and comparisons are inevitable. Moore's stories were about something, maintained a horror atmosphere and still managed to deal fairly with the DCU is a unique and cool way. The current batch of books are all surface plot and nothing else (with the exception of some of Animal Man's family dynamic stuff). Sure Swamp Thing took over Gotham and fought Batman, but the story was about pride, anger, and claiming power in oneself. Rotworld is so far about Swampy and Buddy fighting Rotworld and that's it.

I was excited to see the universes roll into each other once again, but I thought that would serve to bring a unique and mature perspective to a corner of the DCU. Instead it's taken these characters and treated them like any other superhero fare.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Kay
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Kay   Email Jay Kay         Edit/Delete Post     
I disagree--I think the deeper plot of Swamp Thing is the love story between Alec Holland and Abigail Arcane, and Animal Man is all about a man who is desperate to protect his family, his daughter especially, from the seemingly unstoppable evil that wants to destroy them.

JLD is definitely a little more surface, more of a mystic superhero action story, but I don't see that as a bad thing, especially since there is a lot of interesting character stuff that creates the action, as well as some of the twists/reveals they made in the Annual.

I will say this about JLD, though--Lemire better start making Zatanna useful soon, or I'm gonna be PISSED. Seriously, I don't think she's actually landed a single effective blow this ENTIRE arc.

From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:

This seems more like Justice League Black Ops to me, and Stargirl sure seems out of place!

"GUNS DEATH AMMO NINJAS DECAPITATION" $3.99 every month.
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

JL Dark Annual was fun. Like a well done action comic.
  This topic comprises 41 pages: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.