Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Justice League (Page 40)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 41 pages: 1  2  3  ...  37  38  39  40  41   
Author Topic: Justice League
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Frankenstein, Amethyst and Black Orchid explore the House of Mystery.

That's my kind of tagline. Even if I didn't buy JLD, I would if I saw that description.

A fun issue, with some suprises (appropriately). I'm glad Frankie's staying on, because he's a great fit. Deadman's appearance doesn't make sense to me, though there might be some residual magic thing, or an effect of proximity to the House of Mystery that makes him being visible to everyone more beliveable.

We get one of those 'Booster Gold Blackboard' images here, though reliable can it be in a House of Mystery? One with an established sense of humor? Red herring, anyone?

I'm a bit disappointed in Black Orchid. I really like how she was described as maintaining an aura of mystery and being playful with it before she 'joined'. Here, she reads like a pretty stereotypical tough girl, a private in the military, no less. Phantom-Stranger-syndrome striking again?

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Kay
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Kay   Email Jay Kay         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
We get one of those 'Booster Gold Blackboard' images here, though reliable can it be in a House of Mystery? One with an established sense of humor? Red herring, anyone?

Well, remember that John's taken up residence there for a while. That's John's board, not the House's--and considering how they've played him in other Dark books, like in Animal Man and Sword of Sorcery, there's no doubt in my mind that he's working on figuring things out.

One thing I noticed there on that board that was really new--in the page talking about Shazam and the Wizards, he mentions "The Apache," and a "new kid" gaining the powers at a Arizonan reservation. First I was like, "Sweet! Home state kid!" Then I thought--what if this is the New 52 version of Apache Chief from Super-Friends?

From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Not sure if this has been discussed yet, but apparently Vibe is not only getting a new lease on life... but an ongoing as well!

And so will Katana!

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I do have to say I'm both happy and disappointed regarding Black Orchid.

Click Here For A SpoilerIt's none of the pre-existing Orchids, but someone named Alba Garcia. However, this leaves as much chance that the other Orchids may still exist in the DCnU.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Kay
Applicant

quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
Not sure if this has been discussed yet, but apparently Vibe is not only getting a new lease on life... but an ongoing as well!

And so will Katana!

You just know that at least part of the reasoning for Vibe being in the JLA/his own on-going is Johns thinking, "Okay, I've now done a super-successful Aquaman book and now more people think he's cool than ever before. Now...it's time for a bigger challenge..."
From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
[LOL]

Wonder if part of it is to diversify the DCU too? New characters like the new Ray and the new Green Lantern, plus reimagined ones like Jaime Reyes, Katana, Cyborg...

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I can't imagine why DC'd do a frickin' Vibe series before they'd attempt a Cyborg ongoing. [No]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
I can't imagine why DC'd do a frickin' Vibe series before they'd attempt a Cyborg ongoing. [No]

Maybe because there is an adult audience, with ready spending money, who grew up as kids with this character? DC wants the money after all.

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I dunno. I'm not sure that even among 80s kids there's a whole lot of demand for a Vibe series. And even on that theory, one would still think Cyborg would be much more in demand for a character with his own series. Vibe was only in the Justice League for, what, about 2-3 years? Whereas Cyborg was a member of the much popular Titans, plus he was featured on Super Friends. So the nostalgia seems to favor him over Vibe.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
The only way I'll try a Vibe series is if four seperate people tell me its superior to To Kill a Mockingbird or Great Gatsby.

I'd check out a Cyborg series thought. That one only has to beat Grapes of Wrath.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
^^Best post of the week.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
[LOL]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Kay
Applicant

quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:

I guess in Johns' mind, the Justice League series is where a lot of his development's going to be. It also probably helps to have his own character on the group that isn't dependent on another title. Plus, from what I've heard, Cyborg will take on a bigger role during the Throne of Atlantis cross-over, and the solicit for #18 that came out today says it's going to be a Cyborg-focused issue.
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
If I was still buying DC Comics I'd totally be buying at least the first few issues of this Vibe series.

I love the idea of taking a long-unused and much-derided old character and trying to turn him into a viable, solo-title-carrying success.

Plus, Vibe might have been a bit ill-conceived and very much of his era but he was also likeable, had pretty unique powers and there was a lot of potential for growth there. There are a lot worse characters in the DCU than Vibe IMO. Some of whom have also had their own series'.

My only reservation about this book is that it is latter-career, talent-slump Geoff Johns writing it so it will undoubtedly have his stock story points - deceased parent tragedy, graphic violence, some mysterious secret/threat from his past/origin returning as a villain today, etc.

[ December 07, 2012, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: Blacula ]

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blacula: My only reservation about this book is that it is latter-career, talent-slump Geoff Johns writing it so it will undoubtedly have his stock story points - deceased parent tragedy, graphic violence, some mysterious secret/threat from his past/origin returning as a villain today, etc.
If it's anything like Geoff's launch on Aquaman, where it seemed like the entire point of the book was to talk directly to the reader about how Aquaman wasn't a bad joke so directly that even fourth-wall-breaking She-Hulk would say, 'Dude, you're not Bruce Willis, stop talking to the audience...,' the first few issues of 'Vibe' will be all about what a stone cold badass he is and how dumb fans are for ever thinking that he was lame.

If Geoff wants to talk *at* the fans, instead of telling them a story, he should spend more time at conventions and less time writing comic books.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 41 pages: 1  2  3  ...  37  38  39  40  41   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.