Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Savage Hawkman (Page 12)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17   
Author Topic: Savage Hawkman
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
Here's to more issues of GrayPal and Bennet.

Becomes Hawkgirl with issue 50, written by Walt Simonson and drawn by Howard Chaykin.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
First Hawkgirl thing...

Kendra was amazing when Johns first brought her out. And in the early run of this series, she was more exciting to me than Carter. With all due respect to GrayPal, they seemed to have limited her role here. She's not been more than a love interest in this book. I'm glad to see her get some spotlight, but I'm not sure it's worthy now.

Bully for Simonson tho'. I've never been familiar with Chaykin, but I'm certaily going to give him a chance.

Now, the creative team switch...

This bugs me just a bit. I like characters for their unique qualities. I'm a little worried to see this time split up and move on. Sure they may very well do justice wherever they land, but it may not be a character I'm jazzed about (ala' Hal Jordan.) And I've read my share of writers doing a poor job on a fav character (Moore just before Simone's BOP.)

I'm not changing my reading list due to any of the changes, but I won't stay on a book that isn't satisfying anymore. Bats and the X books have burned me there.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Hawkgirl thoughts? Well I'm a bigger Hawkman fan but I think this is interesting.

Why? First the creators! Two of my all time faves. I wouldn't mind their roles reversed though but I will gladly take this!

Secondly? Hawkgirl may have some popularity thanks to the JLU cartoon. Dwyane McDuffie has already said this is his favorite character to write. She may be getting more air time next season.

Third? Why not? Hawkman the series I love...but it's not exactly selling like hot cakes.

It certainly has gained my attention.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not really a Chaykin fan at all. But as long as he's not writing, I may give this a try.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
HAWKMAN #47

Wow. I didn't expect follow up on the GOLDEN EAGLE story this quickly. The appearance of GE's father was so sudden that it's instantly suspicious. Could the voice of his father, real or imposter, help turn GE on a more positive path?

Guess the storylines are getting cleared for the new creative team. I regret the current team's departure, as I think they've done some good work. I hope the new team continues the focus on updated Golden Age villains. That alone justifies the usage of the Egyptian Hawks, for me. I'd tend to prefer the Thanagar space-cops.

I'm sort of dreading the switch to HAWKGIRL, to tell the truth. Not sure if I'll keep reading.

[ December 16, 2005, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: Mystery Lad ]

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I too hate to see the new team leave. The Golden Eagle/golden age villains saga was excellent.

Unfortunately, I am a MUCH bigger fan of Simonson's artwork than his writing. I am also a big fan of Chaykin's artwork (again, not his writing), so I will give HAWKGIRL a chance. The standard 3-6 issues.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, I'll give it a few issues, too, but I have to admit, part of the draw in this series was the MAN part of the title. [Wink]

Carter was an interesting character with a great setting, and most of the artists made him look mighty fine.

And since the topic of this thread is Hawkman covers, I just have to say 47 was one of the ugliest, most garish I've seen. And it looks like 48 and 49 will be just as bad.

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Well the cover was a bit flashy. I don't know that'd I'd say ugly tho'. The story was a nice slam bam adventure after the moody run of the past year.
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Not being a regular reader of the title and also being extremely far behind in reading the Rann-Thangar War mini (I've yet to finish it), I have a question. Was this issue (#47) the first mention of Durlan bio-ships?
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

They've been mentioned in the R/T War mini, in the last issue or two. Nothing than the passing mention they received here. I had been meaning to ask folks if they were ever a subject brought up in LSH history.
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

quote:
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
And BENNET is incredible.

This guy does two books a month, regularly on time, and looking damn fine. Begging Barry's pardon, but Joe is my favourite penciller.
Watching Carter and Charlie go at it, that fight may have been scripted, but Joe made it happen.

Why isn't his work getting more hype? DC has some great artists working for them, and not on their top tier titles.

Just found out Joe is the lead penciller on DC's 52*. This is great news. Not only won't we have to worry about timeliness, but we're guaranteed a great looking book no matter what they throw in it.
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
HAWKMAN #48

You'd think that Shayera Thal would get some kind of memorial here in a book called HAWKMAN, set around the time of her death. Guess not. I *did* like that the Golden Eagle stuff got dealt with, even though it seemed rushed-- both in the story and in the lack of time between GE appearances.

Carter and Kendra finally get together, in a nicely done scene, though one somewhat bizarrely set in the middle of a war.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

There was something off about the whole issue. Events were rushed or drawn out, the story jumped during a couple of panels so I wasn't sure how it flowed. I get the feeling this was drawn out to allow for the IC stuff.

And this time, Seymour's bit about a garish cover does apply...

Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, the last coule issues have been a prime example of why I hate things like "Identity Crisis." The writer has a groove going, a nice pace, interesting storyline, and suddenly is told, "Shoehorn in this stuff about our stupid crossover even though it'll mess up everything you've been building since you started on the title."

I know he and Kendra were destined to get together, but her willingness felt rushed and expedient for "IC" and this one-year-later deal so he can go missing or whatever, and the book becomes hers. And it wasn't too long ago that he had found someone else. Put some real breather space in there before he hops in bed with someone else, even Kendra.

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

HAWKMAN 49

The Chris Batista/Cam Smith art is wonderful. I thought Batista was terrific when he worked on the Legion and he keeps improving beyond that.

The Hawks get to smile and laugh for an extended scene before their apparent long-lasting separation by the time of 'One Year Later'.

Looking at the summation of the Rann/Thanagar War, it really strikes that I should've enjoyed an event featuring Vril Dox, Tigorr, Captain Comet, Adam Strange, etc. Rann and Thanagar themselves had me eager for the mini. But I just didn't.

At least we got a rejuvenated Blackfire and a semi-reformed Golden Eagle out of it. No compensation for Jade and Shayera, though. Those characters will be missed. And both went out in a 'nothing' fashion, IMO. I just hope Jade isn't going to be the voice of Kyle's ring or something. That'd cheese me off.

Are all this month's DC books ending with echo effect of heroes through several versions? OUTSIDERS did. JSA and TEEN TITANS didn't.

This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.