Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Wonder Woman (Page 17)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23   
Author Topic: Wonder Woman
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
The biggest supporter of Wonder Woman's new look? Lynda Carter. She was pretty adamant about it too! I'd provide links but I'm lazy--you'll find it if you google it.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
When I read the JMS interview, I did think he was trying to give her a more meaningful origin. Her refugee status is akin to Suplerman's. But it does sound like she's trying more to represent Amazon culture, keep it alive, perhaps even rebuild it and make it relevant in a modern world.

The costume doesn't seem all that iconic, very similar to Superboy and Wonder Girl. I doubt it will last, but I do think Diana needs something more to make readers take notice. this should do the trick.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
To me, this all seems so temporary that it's hard to find the energy to get really worked up about it.

I'm sure that by the end of this alternative timeline story (or at least soon after it) Diana will be back in the origin and costume that we all know and (at least some of us) love.

I will say one thing for JMS's story here though - it sounds A LOT more intersting than the one he has coming up in Superman. I'm kinda wishing that I had added this book to my pull instead.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I agree, I haven't mustered up much of an opinion either way because it all feels so temporary, but I am interested in the whats & whys of JMS's plan and seeing fans lose their minds.

But let's be honest here. Everything about Wonder Woman ever has seemed so temporary that who really gives a crap? When was the last time someone gave her a set-up that felt like it'd stick? George Perez? That lasted what, 6 years tops?

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
But the revamp of both FLASH and GL feels very permanent. Maybe WW's time has come, without need for a Rebirth story. IF JMS can make Diana a big draw, and a temporary costume is needed for that, then bring it on.
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
I haven't read this yet but I have to wonder how this will impact Donna and Cassie...

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

quote:
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
But the revamp of both FLASH and GL feels very permanent. Maybe WW's time has come, without need for a Rebirth story. IF JMS can make Diana a big draw, and a temporary costume is needed for that, then bring it on.

Ceej, I'm in agreement with you. What I want more than anything is to feel like the stories right now matter. If JMS can recapture that, than I think its enough to get me on board.

(That and them being good of course, but I trust JMS on that front).

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I agree, I haven't mustered up much of an opinion either way because it all feels so temporary, but I am interested in the whats & whys of JMS's plan and seeing fans lose their minds.

But let's be honest here. Everything about Wonder Woman ever has seemed so temporary that who really gives a crap? When was the last time someone gave her a set-up that felt like it'd stick? George Perez? That lasted what, 6 years tops?

If JMS' stories turn out to be any good, would it really matter if the effect is temporary?
Agreed. A good story is a good story is a good story, I say. The question is: will it be a good story?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
What I want more than anything is to feel like the stories right now matter.

Serious question: Why is that important?

(Editor's note: Lardy's post above quotes a post I deleted in favor of quoting and responding to a later post. It happens.)

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Hannah gave the new outfit the two thumbs up review. She likes it a lot. Guess that means it works on some level.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
quote:
What I want more than anything is to feel like the stories right now matter.

Serious question: Why is that important?

(Editor's note: Lardy's post above quotes a post I deleted in favor of quoting and responding to a later post. It happens.)

For me personally, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes my reasoning is fair to the characters, creators and company and sometimes it isn't.

But I'll tell you why with Wonder Woman. After all these years, I just have never felt much of a connection to the character. The only time I've ever truly enjoyed her comics are the ones I've read from the early 1960's and the late 1960's Mod era.

I *want* to like the character. So I feel like if they can convince me I have an invested interest in Diana's future, it might draw me in.

Naturally, many fans will not feel that way. Especially if they already love the last 10 years of the comic.

I don't feel this way with all the comics I buy, and probably not even most or even half of them. I like many titles that each issue stands on its own. I love House of Mystery because the stories within the stories are so out there and have no real effect on the larger storyline.

Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
The mystery deepens in issue #601. Sharp dialogue. Interesting art. I'm getting a good vibe.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Cobie, there's an echo of the Mod era in this week's issue. Diana really has to work at a couple of things. The intrigue level is higher than the sample we got in #600.

As for this story not being permanent, it's mentioned in the issue that the past has been changed. So it likely won't be permanent, but there's already a few things I like about the change that I can see sticking around.

Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I got the impression from something that Diana would remember all this after things are back to normal. Just an impression, though. I hope she keeps the pants. That a mature woman representing feminine power is running around in a swimsuit is beyond ridiculous at this point. When they announced the costume change on the news one of the reporters just shook his head and said "About time." The reaction on another station was similar. It's led me to believe that super-heroines in skimpy costumes is one of the big reasons mainstreamers are turned off comics.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
This new direction in Wonder Woman is sounding more and more interesting to me.

Must... resist... urge... to spend... money... on it...

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.