Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Wonder Woman (Page 18)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23   
Author Topic: Wonder Woman
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
From issue #602:

"I want all of you to go.. I want all of you to live so I can spit in the face of the gods, and tell them they're wrong."

That's the Diana I like to see. I'm totally fascinated with both the story and the manner in which it is being told.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
So I caught up for the new era of Wonder Woman, reading #601-602.

My first thoughts were: wow, this Don Kramer artwork is pretty incredible! He is really knocking it out of the park, and the series has both a 'down to Earth' feel where things are tight and gritty, but also at times it will suddenly feel very widescreen and epic. His Diana is beautiful yet fierce.

I'm actually enjoying Diana in the new costume right now. We all know she'll revert back eventually but I don't mind the temporary change.

Overall, JMS's story from a plot-perspective is very interesting. There is a suspense to it with some real mystery. JMS also draws heavily on real history and Greek myths, creating an interesting blend.

In terms of story-telling, JMS is doing an excellent job. The series is unfolding really well and gradually building steam, and JMS maintains a level of tension throughout to keep the reader intrigued.

I'm enjoying this new era of Wonder Woman quite a bit so far.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm lovin' it!!
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ActorLad
Un-Famous

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ActorLad           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
#43- Astarte, the till-now unseen aunt of Wonder Woman, is the main opponent, at least until we meet *her* daughter, Theana on the last page.

What do WW fans here think of these additions to Diana's family?

I haven't decided yet... I'd be more interested if it were Hippolyta's *other* sister who appeared.

You know as I recently learned from the new WW Encyclopedia Astarte was Diana's aunt pre-crisis & a golden robot from space. Having not read the issue your're referring to there I don't know how much (if any of that) is still true.

--------------------
ActorLad

Friendly Neighborhood Performer

Visit my official hangout ActorLad's Cool Luau over at the Mission Monitor Board!

From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

The Astarte recently introduced by Gail Simone was quite different from the pre-crisis version.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

RE: #603. This book is a visual feast. The Keres were creepy looking. The coloring really sets the mood. I'm liking Daina's personality and I'm still wrapped up in the mystery of it all.

[ October 03, 2010, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

ActorLad
Un-Famous

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ActorLad           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:
The Astarte recently introduced by Gail Simone was quite different from the pre-crisis version.

I'm curious, how so? Sadly I haven't been able to read any of Gail's run even though I really want to.

--------------------
ActorLad

Friendly Neighborhood Performer

Visit my official hangout ActorLad's Cool Luau over at the Mission Monitor Board!

From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

The first Astarte – Empress of the Silver Snake - appeared in a two-part story in Wonder Woman (v.1) issues #252 and #253 published in 1979. The story was by Harris and Delbo. She had a gold metallic body and wore a silver outfit. She looked like an exotic robot. She shot green rays from her eyes and traveled through space in a ship that looked like a giant silver snake.

Astarte attacked Wonder Woman in space. She kept making vague comments about Wonder Woman stealing her body. It was eventually revealed that Astarte was the spirit of Queen Hyppolyte’s dead sister Diana – who Wonder Woman was named after. Diana was killed in the ancient battle with Hercules. Her spirit traveled through space, not realizing she was dead, for years before creating her new body from a gold and silver asteroid. She went to her final rest after Hyppolyte convinced her that she was really dead.

The recent Astarte appeared in a three-part story in Wonder Woman (v.3) #42 through #44. The story was by Simone and Scott. This Astarte was very human looking. She was a tall tough blond woman who carried a very big gun. She wore a military style uniform. Astarte was the cruel captain of a well armed alien group known as the Citizenry. In a nod to the original story, one of their weapons was a giant silver serpent robot thing that they dropped on a residential area. Etta, Steve, and Achilles dealt with the destruction.

This Astarte claimed to be the older sister of Hyppolyta. Three thousand years ago the Citizenry came to Earth to kidnap the infant Hyppolyta. Astarte sacrificed herself and went with them in Hyppolyta’s place. She eventually adopted the Citizenry’s cruel ways as her own, killed their Captain, and became even crueler than her one-time captors. She forced Wonder Woman into an arena battle with her warrior daughter, Theana. I won’t spoil the ending. Many Wonder Woman fans have been critical of Simone’s run. Yeah, whatever. This is a good story and is well worth picking up if you can still find the issues.

[ October 08, 2010, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:
RE: #603. This book is a visual feast. The Keres were creepy looking. The coloring really sets the mood. I'm liking Daina's personality and I'm still wrapped up in the mystery of it all.

You ain't kidding! This is probably the best Wonder Woman artwork since Perez. It's just so dynamic!

I really like the mysterious, atmospheric mood of the story too.

I'm still really enjoying it!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Okay, I think we're far enough into it to make some educated guesses about what is going on. My theory is that this is the Wonder Woman of the new Earth One.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, the transition from JMS doing all the writing on Wonder Woman to Phil Hester coming on as writer following JMS plots has begun. Thus far, the transition seems pretty seamless and isn’t noticeable, even if it annoys me on a personal level. Interestingly enough, Phil Hester’s recent takeover of the Green Hornet writing chores has been good enough to keep me buying when I thought I would drop following Kevin Smith’s departure so I wonder if something similar will occur here.

The artwork by Don Kramer remains fantastic, and I love the way he draws Diana. I really enjoy the way urban cities combine with mythological settings here—it creates a very eerie feel to the series.

In fact, the tone of the current run more than anything is what is making WW so appealing to me. Moreso than any WW run in years. I’m really engaged in the storyline right now even though I didn’t think I would be. I think Jerry may have been right in his prediction, that this is the Earth-1 Wonder Woman we are seeing (which actually would be the first thing to make me interested in DC’s Earth-1 stories, since the GN of Superman and Batman were a hard pass from me).

The Morrigan is interesting so far but the creators will really have to put some effort into making her/them different from the Furies (of Sandman and other fame).

Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
#607: I liked the Minotaur and wish he hadn't taken the action he did. I find myself just not really caring about Diana and these Amazons and the Morrigans, since I'm fairly certain it's all going to be set back to DCU default before long, anyway. I guess the bland costume will remain.

I much preferred what came before the JMS regime. There were problems, sure, but at least there was a sense of fun. I know, kiss of death.

I think the art is fine and the storytelling's competent. It just isn't engaging my imagination or my heart. One or the other ought to be by anything with 'Wonder Woman' on the cover.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Hmmm- my feeling about this title haven't changed a bit since February. It was sort of fun seeing Cheetah and Giganta as 'sisters', but that's not going to last.

I think 614's the last issue involving this 'reality'? I'll keep reading, but I'm past ready for 615- or which ever issue sees Diana restored to her right mind and a continuity that flows along with the rest of the DCU. Will that not be till after FLASHPOINT? Gods...

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

A bit more progress with #610. The villain remains a mystery but we get more insight into the mechanisms of the switch.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

Jerry
active

RE: #612

The answers finally start to come. So it's not some alternate Earth or timeline, but the workings of the gods and godesses that we know so well. This time they have a valid motivation rather than just playing petty games with Diana and her sisters. They also treat her with an abundance of respect. Nice. I'm still enjoying the visuals and looking forward to the big battle next issue.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.